Olefirenkova, 8, Ukraine, strokes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time staggering.

There is a similar ability to stagger time, slow down perception of time, so that they seem to be moving faster, yet slower than anyone else around them, and they experience time as if it's taking a longer amount of time to occur. I call it "time staggering". Quarter backs talk about it. So do others in violent sports. It feels as if the ball is seen in your field of vision, as if it's bigger, and moving more slowly than normal speed/s.

Two ways to time stagger:

#1: Results after a heightened emotional response, such as: need, fear, anger, hatred, attacking outbursts of one kind: adrenalized bursts into the blood stream.

#2. Relaxed bursts of adrenaline, which result in quicker than normal physical ability, reactions which are heightened, sight which is changed and focused, higher amounts of physical speed which come from a practiced relaxed bursting.

The emotional bursting is stiffer feeling, more energetic feeling. The relaxed burst is felt more as if you are cracking a whip, and that whip is you. It's a smooth application of ultimate transition, from a coiled position, to a very quickly uncoiled one.

Gloat screaming, fist pumping, face making, are all attempts to reach the heightened time staggered state through emotional bursts. Guys like Borg, Fed, SAmpras, all had the ability to do it through relaxed bursts. Serena, Nadal, McEnroe, all had the ability to do it through vicious bursts. The result is the same: heightened vision, time slows down, they have more time than normals do to set up and apply huge pressure.

Some carry a "pin" to stick themselves with during matches, so that it punctures their skin, or they slap/hit themselves, or curse/yell/smash frames.

Some concentrate on coiling sideways very fast and smoothly, so they can unleash the "whip" burst.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-28-2014, 09:02 AM.

Comment

That's a new one on me. I'll go buy one and try it during a match. ON my opponent. It's the vision that the zone is experienced first. Vision then opens the door to the zone, and translates to physical abilities to stagger time. Federer watches the ball all the way to the string bed, the only guy doing that now in the top tier. Ball turns into a blur, but he still can see it.

Comment

The string experiment I did today was this: hit with an open level player who recently won a norcal open singles tournament.

Before doing so, I "squashed" a pro stock extended babolat, so that is lost about 1/4" in length, and locked it down on a two point polarized mount. Used bhb7 as mains. Strung the longest, lowest frequency mains in the center at 60lbs. Strung the next two on each side, at 70lbs. Strung the next two on each side at 80lbs. Strung the last mains at 70lbs. Why?

Used black edge whirl 1.27mm as crosses. First three down from top at 35lbs. Next four down: 25lbs. Next on down to bottom: 60lbs. Used a bulky knot at top and a parnell at bottom. Why?

I hit most of my shots in the middle third, up in between the 3rd and 7th cross down, where there is greater leverage, but, at that high point, the shorter strings are higher in pitch and frequency by far than the lower/longer strings, so they create a far higher degree of friction against the mains, preventing full string bed dwell time and deflection, and snap back is limited to a shorter, time. So the 35lbs to start with, but there is knot tension loss, up to 8lbs, even with a bulky knot. So those are going to loosen no matter what you do. So the top and knotted strings will always drop faster than the rest of the bed. This can kill sweet spot feel fast, esp. at higher tensions on top of the frame. Then, in the area where I hit most of my shots, I dropped this area to match the expected knot tension loss, yet shorter higher frequency of the first crosses down. So I end up with a hitting area that's all about 25lbs on cross after a single hit. But, I found if you continue on down with the 25lbs, it becomes too loose too fast, even at higher mains tensioned at: 75/80/85/90lbs, as I've tried all those with the same hybrid! The hypothesis is to find the best combination of spin/control/power/ even if only for a single session before loose sets in. (That's what all the top players do anyway!) Hit for a half hour before cutting out match string beds. The result was power, spin, and control you would not expect at all. Not perfect yet, but creeping there slowly. Far more spin than normals have available. Biting, gripping spin. Longer dwell time. The twisted cross string also bites the ball, and the higher tension loss perf. string: bhb7 bites as main with incredible slice, more than any other string I've tried. Deadly for low and away volleys, and sliced bh. Deadly short angle twist serves to the ad side.

The next experiment will be no tension at all on the top 7 crosses down. And then up to 65lbs on down to the last 12 crosses down.

The guy I hit with was shocked at my ability to hit winners on him, considering my pulled calf, and thanksgiving belly. He said, "Oh no. He did not hit that."
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-28-2014, 09:55 PM.

Comment

How about some videos Geoff?

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
            The string experiment I did today was this: hit with an open level player who recently won a norcal open singles tournament.

Before doing so, I "squashed" a pro stock extended babolat, so that is lost about 1/4" in length, and locked it down on a two point polarized mount. Used bhb7 as mains. Strung the longest, lowest frequency mains in the center at 60lbs. Strung the next two on each side, at 70lbs. Strung the next two on each side at 80lbs. Strung the last mains at 70lbs. Why?

Used black edge whirl 1.27mm as crosses. First three down from top at 35lbs. Next four down: 25lbs. Next on down to bottom: 60lbs. Used a bulky knot at top and a parnell at bottom. Why?

I hit most of my shots in the middle third, up in between the 3rd and 7th cross down, where there is greater leverage, but, at that high point, the shorter strings are higher in pitch and frequency by far than the lower/longer strings, so they create a far higher degree of friction against the mains, preventing full string bed dwell time and deflection, and snap back is limited to a shorter, time. So the 35lbs to start with, but there is knot tension loss, up to 8lbs, even with a bulky knot. So those are going to loosen no matter what you do. So the top and knotted strings will always drop faster than the rest of the bed. This can kill sweet spot feel fast, esp. at higher tensions on top of the frame. Then, in the area where I hit most of my shots, I dropped this area to match the expected knot tension loss, yet shorter higher frequency of the first crosses down. So I end up with a hitting area that's all about 25lbs on cross after a single hit. But, I found if you continue on down with the 25lbs, it becomes too loose too fast, even at higher mains tensioned at: 75/80/85/90lbs, as I've tried all those with the same hybrid! The hypothesis is to find the best combination of spin/control/power/ even if only for a single session before loose sets in. (That's what all the top players do anyway!) Hit for a half hour before cutting out match string beds. The result was power, spin, and control you would not expect at all. Not perfect yet, but creeping there slowly. Far more spin than normals have available. Biting, gripping spin. Longer dwell time. The twisted cross string also bites the ball, and the higher tension loss perf. string: bhb7 bites as main with incredible slice, more than any other string I've tried. Deadly for low and away volleys, and sliced bh. Deadly short angle twist serves to the ad side.

The next experiment will be no tension at all on the top 7 crosses down. And then up to 65lbs on down to the last 12 crosses down.

The guy I hit with was shocked at my ability to hit winners on him, considering my pulled calf, and thanksgiving belly. He said, "Oh no. He did not hit that."
            At what age do you think she'll be responsible enough to handle her own machine? Isn't it kind of dangerous if you snap a string or break a racket? What do you suggest she start learning on her own, and how could one go about teaching a perfect storm to occur in terms of her understanding the tools of the trade, stringing and all the rest. I think it is important. I can teach her this as a hockey player. Hockey players come to the arena (the good ones), and modify their sticks from say 3 pm to 6 pm, and get it down to where they want. I'd like her to do that with tennis, as it's a great tool for relaxing, and instilling a good mental game. You can think about the game, vision yourself playing, and well, keep your mind off the fact you may have to fight, some guy is gunning for you, dealing with 20,000 crazy fans, injuries, danger, wondering whether the coach will play you and all the other issues you face as a player which are many and certainly worrisome.

Here are hockey players:

Comment

Ryan Smith, hell of a player, he uses heat guns and stuff. Old school, uses wood sticks!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
                At what age do you think she'll be responsible enough to handle her own machine? Isn't it kind of dangerous if you snap a string or break a racket?

It's dangerous for frames, not people if: you don't balance the pulls, side to side, that is, pull a string on one side of center, and then go to the other side and pull that side's string, never pulling all the strings on one side at one time as that would destroy the frame and crack it. Also dangerous if you don't "lock down" the frame to prevent it from slipping as you pull, as that will destroy the frame also.

What do you suggest she start learning on her own,

At the age of ten for stringing, and frame mods now..

and how could one go about teaching a perfect storm to occur in terms of her understanding the tools of the trade, stringing and all the rest.

Show her the differences in : siliconed butt handles, and leaded frames, and the placement of the lead, whether polarized or non polarized weight. Grips /over grips and pallets, shoes, clothes, water, electrolytes, etc., also make a difference. The body is the most important piece of equipment, whether it's fit or not, fast or not, relaxed or not, confident or not, ready or not. It's all about the right reps with the body, if the will is in place. You seem to be ignoring that part of training, to targets, with intended spin/power/ball height, etc. The body simply expresses the will: to attack: with strategy first: with interior self knowledge: with consistency first: with penetration second: with knowledge of opponents second. With everything in place firing well, they will have to adjust to you, not the other way around!

I think it is important. I can teach her this as a hockey player. Hockey players come to the arena (the good ones), and modify their sticks from say 3 pm to 6 pm, and get it down to where they want. I'd like her to do that with tennis, as it's a great tool for relaxing, and instilling a good mental game. You can think about the game, vision yourself playing, and well, keep your mind off the fact you may have to fight, some guy is gunning for you, dealing with 20,000 crazy fans, injuries, danger, wondering whether the coach will play you and all the other issues you face as a player which are many and certainly worrisome.

Here are hockey players:

.Equipment makes a huge difference. Those who claim it does not, are not very good at feeling the net/accuracy/zone/lines/depth/spin/pentration/power/ in their shots..................There is a direct correlation to a players' confidence, and their confidence in their equipment. That goes all the way down to the shoes and their inserts.
                Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-29-2014, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Seles developed her two handed body fly short angle shots and began to decimate Graf with it. How? By using the ball machine for four hours a day to small targets/short angle, that's how. Too much work for most, and too boring for most, and yet, her will (before the stabbing job by Gunther Parche) was top notch, desire to become the best and to work the hardest was top notch. Nothing, no other type of practice (high reps, hit with serious determination) will produce the accuracy needed in pressure matches.

Comment

There's the recipe right there: 12 hrs a day in your own tennis court. To combat injury: flex bar, massage, ice, heat, siliconed handles, lead tape on frames.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                      There's the recipe right there: 12 hrs a day in your own tennis court. To combat injury: flex bar, massage, ice, heat, siliconed handles, lead tape on frames.

Comment

In contrast, read this:

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainme...-roger-federer

Comment

So much for no gluten Joker. Pasta, just like so many other tennis players. Roger kept his regime pretty close to the vest ala Sampras. He's using small weights, and varies them. Short intervals, bursting. 40 days in a row, so the reps and back ground are always there. All the greats are/were obsessive trainers. No reps, no greatness nor chance of it. None could match Great ones training either. Imagine the will/desire/obstinence/self discipline required for it.
                          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-30-2014, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Every time I see a child walk by the courts I offer them a tennis ball. I smile and try to give them the feeling like the game is a joyful thing, as it is for children. Adults forget that. Purists don't. Innovative minds always try things others have not yet. The experiment I strung today: First six center mains with bhb7 at 55lbs. Next perimeter mains at 80lbs, and last on each side at 75lbs. Why?

First three crosses down with black edge whirl at 35lbs. Next 8 down at 45llbs. Next 6 down at 60lbs. Last three at 35lbs. Why?

Hypothesis was to create a more easily snap back central area, where the mains loosen up anyway, but surround it on perimeter with much stiffer bed, to produce a less elastic bed. (To reduce shots long on tension too loose, yet create a very low cof in hitting area for very high spin rates.) Then crosses down from top, which are short and high in frequency, and create a lot of friction, both on top and on the bottom, dropped to 35lbs, and hitting area from 4th-11th down strung at 45lbs, and then up to 60lbs on down until last three. Why:

To see if spin is increased by dropping frequency down on top and bottom, while also dropping mains in center down to 55lbs, yet surrounding the lower hittting area with higher frequency strings, to see what effect it has on control/spin/power, with the same hybrid used on 15 other experiments. These are acting as controlled insights. But to deliver an accurate impression, there has to be honesty about the honeymoon period of a given experiment's effects, as I don't have the tech JY has to really measure rpm/pace/etc.

This is something you have to watch as well. What is working for you and what is not, depends a lot on feel and instinct, not just boring rote.

I go on memory and feel and results against top local players who know I hit the ball harder and with more spin than anyone else out there even at my age and weight. A lot of that has to do with my equipment, siliconed, leaded, and the abnormal string jobs I experiment with. These guys don't know I use a new job every time I hit with them. None of them do.

Great players need great equipment, great reps, hitting partners, great injury treatments; (flex bar, massage, diet, recovery)stringing, customizing, hypnotic encouragement and soul motivation. Or: the don't become nor stay that way.
                            Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-30-2014, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2102 users online. 6 members and 2096 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X