The ATP Two Handed Backhand: The Dynamic Slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ATP Two Handed Backhand: The Dynamic Slot

Let's talk about Brian Gordon's latest on the ATP Two Handed Backhand, "The Dynamic Slot"!

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Let's talk about Brian Gordon's latest on the ATP Two Handed Backhand, "The Dynamic Slot"!
    Another masterpiece from Brian Gordon. It's another one of those I will have to read a few times over to be able to distill it.

One thing that the article didn't touch on (unless I missed something) was the angle of the racket face and the part it plays, if any, in the flip. One thing that Rick Macci states in his videos is that it is desirable to have the racket face slightly closed during the backswing phase. If you try this for yourself, you will find it lifts your left arm up a tad higher. I assumed this produces a slightly more powerful flip than having the racket on edge.

It's interesting that Rick has made mention of this in the past yet Brian hasn't, thus far at least.

I couldn't access the clips in the archive (temporary glitch I hope) to post a rear shot of Djokovic with his racket closed 10 degrees or so during the backswing phase.

On Rick's advice, I now have now taught a number of boys to close their racket face slightly in the backswing phase. These boys get more topspin than their predecessors who I always religiously taught to have their rackets on edge. Another thing I have noted is that closing the face leads to shorter backswing; kids that overdo the closing can end up with too small a backswing, something I am quick to correct.

Closing the racket face tends to result in a few more shanks. I assume because it makes timing slightly more tricky.

I wonder if anyone else had any thoughts on this (or experimented with it) or if John could shed some light on the racket face issue.
    Stotty

Comment

I think Dr. Gordon will need to chime in. It's probably a deficiency in my attempt to translate his genius...

Comment

Sweet article. The two hander. Even for those coaches that love the one-hander, it's critical we understand the two hander on behalf of our students.

stotty,

In my experience having a student forcefully pointing the strings down on backswing can result in too much of a closed face and students end up snapping up and at the ball in a way that does not produce enough drive and hard to replicate. It the grip is good and the shoulder turn is good, the racquet face should naturally be able to close no?

The kids you teach to point the racquet face down also have fundamentally sound grips and pretty deep shoulder turns I'm assuming.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          stotty,

In my experience having a student forcefully pointing the strings down on backswing can result in too much of a closed face and students end up snapping up and at the ball in a way that does not produce enough drive and hard to replicate. It the grip is good and the shoulder turn is good, the racquet face should naturally be able to close no?

The kids you teach to point the racquet face down also have fundamentally sound grips and pretty deep shoulder turns I'm assuming.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          All my kids have sound grips. Grips are fundamental. Tennis starts at the grip.

I think we when first teach kids a new technique and they have success with it there is a tendency for them to then exaggerate the technique a little further. In my experience as a coach I have found this common. Hence when I teach kids to close their racket face a little one week, the next week they come for a lesson it’s closed a good deal more. When this happens, I set it back because it seems to create timing issues...shanks.

Biomechanically I am a bit of a lightweight. I don’t feel I am running myself down here as in my experience must coaches are lightweight when it come to biomechanics. It’s not easy stuff to understand, not for me at least.

My question to Brian would be, does closing the racket face during the backswing play a role in creating more flip? I really don’t know because I cannot work it out for myself. I have experimenting with it with the kids I teach (from watching the Macci video) and they seem to get more spin for sure. But as coaches we don’t want to be experimenting with a technique on kids, better to know what we are doing for sure.

My hunch is when we close the racket face a tad during the backswing it elevates the left arm a little higher and helps gives things a little more pop when the racket flips. But like I said, I really don’t have a clue...
          Stotty

Comment

May I make a comment on Dr. Gordons article concerning the three types of backhands and let me know what you think. I think type 3 backhands are clear and away the best. Starting with Agassi, Nalbandian, and now Djokovic have the best of these. In my opinion. I think the type 1 of Sharapova which is what I call a "set" backswing and Dementieva's is a "loop" which Dr. Gordon points out have their flaws for sure. Sharapova's because of what I call a "tail" which is the backswing going behind the body and Dementieva's because of sheer timing. What he didn't mention though, in my opinion, was the reason for Dementieva's superior extension of her left arm through the swing which is directly related to her grip. Sharapova is closer to a continental, which doesn't allow as much extension.
            Dementieva is forced to extend out more, and have a contact point further out in front, because of her grip almost being an eastern one handed backhand. Nadal is an example of this also. He extends to the extreme on his backhand and forehand for that matter. Your thoughts when you have time....

Comment

Thanks guys - good questions and comments as always.

To Stotty - I prefer a mildly closed racquet face at the end of the backswing and a bit more closed at peak slot. I didn't mention it related to acquiring the slot as it does not really impact the flip mechanics. It does impact the ability to reverse the the flip into the roll near impact which is more the subject of the next article so I'll try to address it then. As you mention is also improves the position of the top elbow at the end of the backswing enhancing the chances of accelerating that arm through the torso rotation - good point!

To vcct - you could be right about the grip although it is possible to extend forward with a continental. I have a player that does it quite well although admittedly it is more difficult. I'd like to think the swing mechanics dictate the grip (rather than the opposite) and that Elena is opting for more ATP style partitioning (by joint rotation) of the vertical and forward racquet speed (also a topic of the next article) with her forward extension - I could be wrong.
              Last edited by BrianGordon; 12-08-2014, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I used to think two handers were for women. Until Borg and Connors came along there weren't too many out there. Now look at the landscape: littered with the death of one handed net rushers. The two hander is responsible for that.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2427 users online. 12 members and 2415 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X