No announcement yet.

The Jack Kramer Autograph: A Tale of Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don_Budge note: An interesting scenario Stotty. I get the distinct impression here that John McEnroe isn't buying into the superiority of the modern paradigm of tennis and of course he is right on all counts.

That explains the success rate of his academy. Time to buy in and get with the times.

Comment

Strange how so many of the old school ignore all the old videos, which show: rpm are nothing, pace of shot is low, serving the level that women do now.

Comment

Horse Steroids…?

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
        And the horse steroids. The cocaine. The speed.
        John McEnroe clarified that he received steroids as painkillers, not as performance enhancers.

I think that you have gotten just about as much mileage out of that false accusation that you possibly could. The sad part is that it isn't true. Horse steroids? How about Butazolidin…which is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug which at one time was given to horses, while prednisone is a corticosteroid.
        Last edited by don_budge; 12-23-2014, 12:11 PM.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Old School versus Student of the Game...

Strange how so many of the old school ignore all the old videos, which show: rpm are nothing, pace of shot is low, serving the level that women do now.
          What is truly odd…is that an equipment guy would fail to see the effect that equipment would play into the quote above. Odd is putting it mildly of course.
          Last edited by don_budge; 12-23-2014, 12:10 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge

Comment

Mc was the one who called them horse steroids, as did his ex I believe. Just another cover up imo. She also claimed he took many other drugs as well. Who do you believe? I believe her. Not some guy who cheated stringers of their rightful payments.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              What is truly odd…is that an equipment guy would fail to see the effect that equipment would play into the quote above. Odd is putting it mildly of course.

Or that you can't see how the modern guys would play very close to their games now even with the older equipment.

John Mcenroe said: "For six years I was unaware I was being given a form of steroid of the legal kind they used to give horses until they decided it was too strong even for horses," McEnroe said.

Tatum said: O'Neal, 38, says in an interview to air on ABC's "20/20" this Friday that McEnroe took steroids while he was on the pro tennis tour and used cocaine and marijuana -- though not when he was playing. Highlights of the interview have been obtained by Reuters. Asked whether sports officials knew about McEnroe's alleged steroid use, O'Neal told interviewer Barbara Walters: "I never read about it. I made him stop because he was becoming violent."

McEnroe was implicated in a doping scandal two years ago when his former wife, Tatum O'Neil, claimed the former No 1 had used steroids late in his career. McEnroe later called O'Neil's statements "ridiculous."

McEnroe now concedes he began a six-year stretch starting in 1986 in which he "unknowingly" took steroids -- a denial that seems absurd in the face of O'Neal's assertions.

Play like an asshole, and live like an asshole. That's mac for you. Lying, cheating, stealing, drug abusing asshole. Those who love players regardless of their character: mac, tilden, deserve the karma coming their way. Support child rape, drug abuse, cheating, stealing, and you will pay. God sees all, and forgives nothing. The don budges of the world are the reason why so many evils go unpunished.
              Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 12-23-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Sadly their are just a lot of people who want to take shortcuts.
                Last edited by hockeyscout; 12-23-2014, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=1708773

I think that you have gotten just about as much mileage out of that false accusation that you possibly could. The sad part is that it isn't true. Horse steroids? How about Butazolidin…which is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug which at one time was given to horses, while prednisone is a corticosteroid.
                  You know what else amazes me?

90% of the ATP tour has asthma.

don_budge, lets be very honest here.

Tennis has a terrible track record in terms of covering of:

1. Doping

2. Pedophilia

3. And, covering it up.

Let's discuss this propensity for cover up's:

I also found it real convent how the tour treated Capriati, and threw the father under the bus.

Never, did they do an investigation into the Palmer Tennis Academy or Saddlebrook Resort resort where staff turned a blind eye to the kids, and ruined a lot of great kids like Jennifer.

Monica Seles, Steffi Graf,Arantxa Sanchez... and Jennifer Capriati. Hear her name and weep. Served up at 13, the force-fed, custom-made, finished article, she goes down as the ultimate health warning to anyone who dreams of their child as a champ and chooses the wrong hothouse. Today, as tennis's best women do battle for the US Open title, Michael Mewshaw investigates a school for scandal

The allegations are out their, witnesses galore, yet many of these individuals are still working in the world off tennis making wild claims they are teaching how to play the game and nurturing kids who aren't talented into developing a lifelong appreciation for the sport.

Comment

Like just read this shit LOL ...

1. Small for his age, Marc says he was subjected to a rough rite of passage by older boys. Every day there was a regular free-for-all in which kids slapped each other around. Although this might sound like normal boarding school rough stuff, it takes on a more lurid tinge when Marc claims that a roommate had a 9 mm pistol and another boy kept an ice pick for protection. This certainly wasn't what his parents counted on when they shelled out to send him to Palmer.

2. And so did some of the tennis coaches. One pro pretended to masturbate on players whose performance displeased him. Amy Hall remembers a coach who joked to girls, "The bigger the rump, the better the hump."

3. Another coach joked about looking at girls' breasts as they leaned down for low balls.

4. Alan Ma, Palmer's head pro and the only current employee to break the boss's embargo and grant an interview, acknowledges that he has heard of affairs between adults and students.

Michael and Jane Levin are more emphatic about the matter. Mrs Levin says, "I always assumed from what I heard and what I knew about child prodigies that Capriati was headed for trouble. I thought she was too indulged, had too many cars and so forth. I now see it wasn't Jennifer or her family's fault. It was the tennis academy's."

Comment

Bute was not a steroid!

John Mcenroe said: "For six years I was unaware I was being given a form of steroid of the legal kind they used to give horses until they decided it was too strong even for horses," McEnroe said.
                      When McEnroe talks about "horse steroids", he is probably talking about butazolidin (phenylbutazone, aka "bute"). In early 1973, I sold my interest in Tennis Academy, Inc. and decided to self-sponsor myself on the satellite tour which was rudimentary at best in those days. I trained at home in NY for a couple of months and then headed for the "W.A.T.C.H." tour in Florida. But the weekend before I was to leave, I ripped up my ankle pretty badly in a match in Rochester. I drove to Florida anyway, but I couldn't move on that ankle. I probably wasn't that good anyway, but on only one wheel, I was hopeless.

I came back to NY and went to see a friend of mine who was a physical therapist. He sent me to the orthopedic surgeon he worked with and I got diagnosed as having torn ligaments. It took a couple of months to rehab the ankle back to full function, but we did it with a lot of specific exercises with progressive resistance for the ankle. I don't really remember if it was at the beginning of that course of treatment or I went back to see that ortho when my tennis elbow flared up, but he prescribed me butazolidin. It was still legal in the US for humans at the time with the warning that you take it with milk and preferably on a full stomach and that you not do it too many times.

I think I got two different courses of treatment with "bute". Gawd, I loved it. All the pain in my whole body went away. Nothing hurt. I was like the Tin Man getting hit with a few squirts of oil. I wasn't too knowledgeable at the time of the dangers of aplastic anemia, and realistically, neither was the doctor. He wasn't that concerned. As far as he was concerned, it was routine. He was probably prescribing it more frequently for some of his patients with severe arthritis.

But a few years later (and I don't know the date), it was banned for use on humans in the USA. In the UK, they can still use it sparingly for ankylosing spondylitis. But here in the US, it is not allowed for humans and is actually restricted although not completely restricted for use on horses. I think it is banned for use on horses competing in thorougbred racing. But it is not actually a steroid.

My point is that, at that time, and probably well into the 80's, "bute" was routinely prescribed for athletes with severe inflammation. It worked. The md's were not yet aware of the extent of its' side effects. I don't know what McEnroe was given, but more than likely, it was some version of an NSAID like "bute" whose side-effects were not that well known, but that worked on the immediate problem. The recreational drug use is an entirely different issue, but as far as performance enhancing drugs, there was a lot more that was "legal" in those days and the restrictions in professional sports, not to mention testing, was really limited.

If you went to see your personal orthopedist, he was likely to prescribe some drug that today would be totally banned in the professional sports arena, if not in normal clinical use. "Bute" was considered a strong NSAID (that's Non-Steroidal-Anti-Inflammatory-Drug) to be taken with just a little more care than you took Advil or Tylenol. In reality, a regular dose of "bute" taken with Tylenol could destroy your liver in short order and kill you. But the doctor could tell the athlete that he was not prescribing him "steroids".

don

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
                        Tennis has a terrible track record in terms of covering of:

1. Doping

2. Pedophilia

3. And, covering it up.
                        Unfortunately, this does not only apply to tennis, but has been a widespread scandal covering not only sports, but churches, orphanages, celebrities, etc. One of the benefits of the internet is that these horrible abuses are coming to light faster.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                          Unfortunately, this does not only apply to tennis, but has been a widespread scandal covering not only sports, but churches, orphanages, celebrities, etc. One of the benefits of the internet is that these horrible abuses are coming to light faster.
                          The number in tennis are much higher than any other sport.

Comment

JMTA…Success rate

The only revenge in life…is success. One cannot get even by stooping to the lows of one's antagonists. You will never know how low the antagonist is willing to stoop to.

John McEnroe Tennis Academy Student Noah Rubin Wins Wimbledon Juniors. First American To Take Title Since 2007; Beats Fellow American Stefan Kozlov, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 In Championship - PR12345120

The John McEnroe Tennis Academy…only in operation since 2010 produces a home grown Wimbledon junior champion.

John McEnroe Tennis Academy Student Noah Rubin Wins Wimbledon Juniors

Jul. 6, 2014 - NEW YORK -- Noah Rubin has completed his storybook run through the Wimbledon Boys' Singles draw, becoming the first American in seven years to win the title, defeating fellow American Stefan Kozlov, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, today on No. 1 Court. Rubin, who trains at the John McEnroe Tennis Academy in New York, defeated three seeded players, advancing through the qualifying draw. In all, Rubin won seven matches to take the Championship.

“I am proud to see two American boys in the finals of the Wimbledon juniors for the first time since my first visit to Wimbledon in 1977,” said John McEnroe, “and prouder still to see Noah take the title. He has worked very hard on and off the court, and it is exciting to see him come through in such a big way on the big stage.”
                            Last edited by don_budge; 12-24-2014, 04:57 AM.
                            don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
                              The number in tennis are much higher than any other sport.
                              Even swimming and gymnastics?

Comment

JMTA…Mission Statement

A word from the directors of the John McEnroe Tennis Academy.

I thought this was particularly interesting…and particularly good. Particularly coming from an academy. Leave it to Johnny Bad Boy. No throwing racquets and when it is time to pick up balls…get it done. No pussy footing around.

don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7586 users online. 8 members and 7578 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X