Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Of Your Game Is Affected By Your Strings/string Job/consistency/confidence/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Of Your Game Is Affected By Your Strings/string Job/consistency/confidence/

A far larger component than most realize is added to your confidence or lack thereof, in strings/string jobs. Ever see Murray pounding on his string bed? Ever see a pro switch frames every 7-9 games? Even on string jobs that cost: $65 they are using for 1/2hr. at most. Why is that? Why is pro confidence, so dependent, on consistent string bed response? Aren't they the best at adapting to any opponent in the world, as is? They are. So why do so many need such an exorbitant amount of reliable string bed response?

Because heavy hitting changes the string bed quickly, even with gut/alu, or alu/gut. Whereas, the recreational player will not string for months, even years if they don't break. Is that due to economics, or ignorance or both evenly? Most are not good enough to realize the benefit of increased feel and confidence? I don't think that's so. So it's more likely due to ignorance/lack of knowledge. It's a shame that so many are so uninformed and so lacking in the perfect set up for their games. Too bad no site deals with it on an in depth scientific way. The usrsa tests many strings with many testers at once. These are stringers, hitting with the string jobs they do themselves, approx. 34-37 guys for each test. I asked for their results but did not receive the results.

Some of my tests: Same hybrid: varied the mains while keeping crosses same. Varied the crosses while keeping mains the same. Varied both while keeping hybrid the same. Varied frames while keeping tension/hybrid the same. Repeated with pre stretched, to extremes.

Ie: center 6 mains at 65 in a babolat 16 x 19, and then: varied outer mains: next two up to as much as: 80lbs, or down to: 45lbs. Varied final outer mains as much as: up to 80lbs, or down to 45lbs. Or kept them all the same at 65, or 75, or 80, or 90lbs.

Ie, first three crosses down from the top: varied from : first down: 52, 2nd: 57 3rd: 65lbs, 4th-11th: 45lbs, or 4th-8th: 45lbs, rest down: 65lbs or final three down: 45lbs, or final three down: 65-57-45lbs.

And: 80lb mains, 45lb crosses, or: 75 mains, 45lb crosses, or 65lb mains, 45lb crosses, or: 62lb mains/40lb crosses, etc. I have also tried increasing hitting area rather than dropping it, which resulted in stiff and no feel as I expected. I also: placed attention on hitting area 3rd/8th cross down from top, and "boxed" it with lower tension surrounded by higher tension. Also proportionally strung/mains.

Many other combinations with the same string hybrid, such as: Higher tensioned mains in center and lower on periphery. Lower tension in top three crosses than hitting area.

So why are pros so sensitive to slight changes in string tension while playing if they are so good? They are also sensitive to frame weights and balances. Michael Russel could tell one gram from substituted mock up frames, and that they were not his frames, but ones made to look so. Their heightened sensitivity is part reason that they are the best in the world. IN order for them to be able to do impossible things with their equipment, they have to believe that they can. This belief is arrived at by some only after years of staying with childhood frames, and childhood string set ups ala Nadal/Murray/etc. Some can adapt, such as Fed. Not many can believe with experimentation. My partial hypothesis in doing so is to arrive at the best combinations without prejudice of 10 years of static experience.

So, in breaking every stringing law, how many frames have broken doing so? None, nor none even cracked, as I know how to avoid it. So this disproves many stringers' myths. If I can break so many laws without breaking frames, the myths are wrong, not me.

Today: center two mains at 50lb, next two on each side 45lb, all the rest: 75lb.
    1st cross down: 75lb, 2nd: 30lb, 3rd: 35lb, 4th: 40lb, 5th: 45lb, 6th: 50lb, 7th: 55lb, 8th: 60lb, 9th-17th: 65lb 18th: 60, 19th: 55, 20th: 50lb.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 12-11-2014, 08:57 PM.

We are so far behind the loop in terms of stringing it is bad. I think it has really hurt us, as I have an athlete who isn't confident in her equipment. She often tells me, "I was in the right position, my sequential firing was on the mark and my timing in the window of striking opportunity was perfect, and the ball never exploded or did exactly what I wanted it to do."

I see hits, and I know based on the training methodology we have she should be getting at least 20 percent more power. Its kind of like we are using wood hockey sticks, which are less responsive than new age composite. Off the shelf rackets in tennis are so bad, especially from a hockey players perspective (we are so picky, and can feel the difference). A hockey stick is like a surgical instrument, and so much has to go write for maximum sweet spot performance compared to any other sport.

I think I will buy my own stringing machine first - soon, and find the best 2-3 stringers I can in the world, fly them over here, learn, talk, trade notes, study everything Geoff has ever written here to quicken my learning curve and start mentoring the young one how to work this out on her own.

Some time in the summer when I have this sorted out, I will just go to a manufacturer directly, and get our own molds, and custom made equipment and quit playing around with this off the shelf stuff everyone is using.

Geoff makes a great point about 10 years, you need to teach them what he knows early, so they can be in control of their destiny at a later stage of their career if they so choose. Hockey players never let ANYONE touch their equipment, and we all know the in's and out's of modification like artists.

It's the one area where we have not been able to create a perfect storm, however, I think the summer of 2015 will be a perfect time to get a good program in place.

In hockey we are big on the sticks, the lie, curve, handle, you name it. Before a game we will work two hours on the stick at least. It is a superb mental tool, as it keeps the mind occupied and in the zone.

Right now I am just playing around with the Pareto Principle in my head as I usually do all day, and hopefully in a month or two everything falls into place and a solution will just fire in my brain.

Geoff, can you share with us the stringing equipment you are using please?
    Last edited by hockeyscout; 12-16-2014, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
      Because heavy hitting changes the string bed quickly, even with gut/alu, or alu/gut. Whereas, the recreational player will not string for months, even years if they don't break. Is that due to economics, or ignorance or both evenly? Most are not good enough to realize the benefit of increased feel and confidence? I don't think that's so. So it's more likely due to ignorance/lack of knowledge. It's a shame that so many are so uninformed and so lacking in the perfect set up for their games. Too bad no site deals with it on an in depth scientific way. The usrsa tests many strings with many testers at once. These are stringers, hitting with the string jobs they do themselves, approx. 34-37 guys for each test. I asked for their results but did not receive the results
      I have decided I will now get on this Geoff. It will be a major advantage long term. The stuff you write is so bang on. Respect. You should really do a few instructional videos here, and show how you string and coach fundamentals.

Comment

As long as you don't use a drop weight machine, you can string a perfect job, if you string for spin or power. There are differences you must be aware of. She looks to me as if you need to string for spin, as her power is unusual. Bhb7 mains. Dryeex twist whirl crosses. Start with that hybrid, and arrive at the right combination she feels best.
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 12-16-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

The key is to change the string job slightly, until she feels the most spin/control/power. She has to be able to hit a part of the ball, a small part, and feel it for a longer amount of time than most can. To hit inside out, she has to feel the left part. To hit fh cc, she has to feel the right part, about the size of a dime on each side, to be accurate. I'd string: bhb7 mains first two center: 50lbs, next two on each side (for a total of six so far), 45lbs ea., and the rest on each side: 65lbs. Then from the top down: 65, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, and then: 65 on down to the bottom 4: 60, 55, 50, 45lbs with crosses: dryeex whirl.

She will say, "I've never felt so much spin or control."

When she is able to feel that part of the ball under extreme pressure in a match, she will be ready.

Her problem in matches will always be the same one: consistent fire power to accurate spots. This hybrid will give it to her.
          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 12-18-2014, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3001 users online. 2 members and 2999 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X