1970 Tennis Champions, Inc. Classic…Detroit, Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Tennis Champions, Inc. Classic…Detroit, Michigan

I believe that I may have been at this match and it would certainly have been my first first hand experience with professional tennis. It seems to me that all of the professionals were in town although there is no mention of this in the article. My memories are somewhat hazy…it being so long ago. I would have been sixteen at the time…I had only begun to play at the age of fourteen.

I remember going to the Olympia as a boy with my father to see some tennis. I remember that there was a program…with pictures and bio's of all of the players. It was the only time in my life that I had asked for autographs. I got them all…but I have no idea what happened to that program.

Most of all I remember this big, huge Panther of a man walking by me. It was Gonzalez…he was like a big cat on the prowl. My dear old tennis coach used to call me "Pancho".

In the locker room Newcombe spread his hands to shape an imaginary grapefruit and said, "He was seeing the ball about this big. I was never really in the match. Every time I tried to do something it didn't work." Across the room Gonzales said, "It's hard for me to believe, but for some reason my reflexes were so quick I was able to correct the shot even if I were moving in the wrong direction. I'm more tired right now than after the first match [with Laver], but it seems to be nerves. When you get a winning streak going, you're no longer the underdog. It gets exhausting and you can feel the tension. With rest and recuperation I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to play as well next time. It's a rhythm and I think a veteran of my caliber is able to hold on to it longer than a younger player."

Last edited by don_budge; 12-16-2014, 02:21 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    http://www.gettyimages.se/detail/nyh...sfoto/81370031

I believe that I may have been at this match and it would certainly have been my first first hand experience with professional tennis. It seems to me that all of the professionals were in town although there is no mention of this in the article. My memories are somewhat hazy…it being so long ago. I would have been sixteen at the time…I had only begun to play at the age of fourteen.

I remember going to the Olympia as a boy with my father to see some tennis. I remember that there was a program…with pictures and bio's of all of the players. It was the only time in my life that I had asked for autographs. I got them all…but I have no idea what happened to that program.

Most of all I remember this big, huge Panther of a man walking by me. It was Gonzalez…he was like a big cat on the prowl. My dear old tennis coach used to call me "Pancho".

In the locker room Newcombe spread his hands to shape an imaginary grapefruit and said, "He was seeing the ball about this big. I was never really in the match. Every time I tried to do something it didn't work." Across the room Gonzales said, "It's hard for me to believe, but for some reason my reflexes were so quick I was able to correct the shot even if I were moving in the wrong direction. I'm more tired right now than after the first match [with Laver], but it seems to be nerves. When you get a winning streak going, you're no longer the underdog. It gets exhausting and you can feel the tension. With rest and recuperation I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to play as well next time. It's a rhythm and I think a veteran of my caliber is able to hold on to it longer than a younger player."

That was an intriguing last sentence. I wonder why he thought a veteran like himself could hold his match rhythm better than a younger player. I am not entirely sure what he means by that last sentence either.
    Stotty

Comment

The Wild Heart...

My dear old tennis coach used to call me "Pancho".

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      That was an intriguing last sentence. I wonder why he thought a veteran like himself could hold his match rhythm better than a younger player. I am not entirely sure what he means by that last sentence either.
      Yeah…that whole statement is so mysterious. The man had a gift…sort of like Ben Hogan. He just spoke and it came out of his mouth as if he were beyond wise. A shaman…somehow connected to the white light of inspiration.

It's a beautiful statement really. It's poetic and full of magic. A glimpse into his soul…a revelation that he chose to share. He was obviously a deep thinker. Or was it just that he had the instincts to see through it all…all of the nonsense. I think that was it. The cunning of a wild thing…owing all of it's being to nature. A heart that could not or would not be tamed.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Yeah…that whole statement is so mysterious. The man had a gift…sort of like Ben Hogan. He just spoke and it came out of his mouth as if he were beyond wise. A shaman…somehow connected to the white light of inspiration.

It's a beautiful statement really. It's poetic and full of magic. A glimpse into his soul…a revelation that he chose to share. He was obviously a deep thinker. Or was it just that he had the instincts to see through it all…all of the nonsense. I think that was it. The cunning of a wild thing…owing all of it's being to nature. A heart that could not or would not be tamed.
        Well, it gets you thinking that last sentence. He probably knew more about tennis than anyone that ever lived. A deep thinker, yes, like Tilden. The video by Gino Tanasescu shows Gonzales paid great attention to detail...especially when it came to matches.
        Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2305 users online. 4 members and 2301 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X