Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Kyle on serve and volley drills...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Kyle on serve and volley drills...

Kyle,
    A drill I learned to do with a partner is the following: Player B is static and just feeds balls.

- Player A serves and approaches the net.

- Player B feeds a ball to either A's forehand or backhand side. Player A volleys.

- Player B continues feeding a ball to the opposite side. Player A volleys.

(Player A always tries to volley deep and into a corner.)

- On the final point, Player B throws up a lob, Player A smashes.

Any thoughts?

Searching YouTube, I found this by Emilio Sanchez. Similar but more shots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjULf4NNJSs

Comment

Phil,

It's a great drill. In fact, I highlighted a similar drill during my serve and volley series. I call it three variations. Take a look with explanation...

Here's the full video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFwBHFh4Yg

There are many variations of it. For more advanced players, I like to give them the variation but with no set order. So instead of volley, swinging volley, overhead I may give them overhead first, low volley, high volley. That way they don't start anticipating too early. Similar to not telling students where the serve is going on return practice.

Thanks for asking Phil.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Sorry, Kyle, I need to get used to reading articles more carefully, missed your having shown it. Anyways, I've started doing it and like it...

Comment

Serve and Volley drill…for four players

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          It's a great drill. In fact, I highlighted a similar drill during my serve and volley series. I call it three variations. Take a look with explanation…

Here's the full video
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFwBHFh4Yg

There are many variations of it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Good stuff klacr. I do this with all of my students. I see that you are teaching it to your less than advanced students as well and this is really important to introduce this concept to the student early in their development. Make them into good doubles players early on…try and get them to serve and volley a bit. I incorporate this with the initial serving lessons to get them to swing the back leg into the court.

With four players the server is serving to a team of two…essentially "Australian Doubles" with or without the doubles formation. The idea is to control the volleys of course and not to necessarily hit winners. The server plays a point against the two players and I am waiting with four balls to feed. Forehand, backhand, forehand and overhead. Or backhand, forehand, backhand and overhead.

There are two servers and they can alternate points. The receiving team can also be designated to pass either crosscourt or down the line.

Great minds tend to think alike…someone once said.
          Last edited by don_budge; 12-19-2014, 02:00 AM.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Phil,
            No worries. Glad you are inspired.

don_budge,

Majority of my players compete in the county doubles league. Serve and volley is effective when my players understand the concept and are disciplined enough to follow it.

The drill you describe is another good one. It's important that players first learn to control and manipulate the ball location from the net, instead of just swinging for the fences for winners. You won't win two-on-one drills with brute force, you have to win it with combinations, guile and execution. When they understand how to place and angle their volleys, they realize quickly those shots become the most "powerful". Control and precision becomes power. Forced power becomes a liability.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3774 users online. 7 members and 3767 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X