Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Pasarell Serve

Here is another classic serve:

Got it from an old 1982 German tennis book. Notice that Charlie has not gone over to jumping yet, though by then it was allowed...

Now compare that to Taylor Dent...

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...DeuceSide1.mov

Which is more elegant?
    Last edited by gzhpcu; 12-25-2014, 05:11 AM.

My command of the German language is not what it used to be, but I get the gist of it. Great pictures. Also notice how he lands on his right foot. Don't see that anymore. Love the 3rd picture as well. Notice his eyes are looking up at the intended ball toss path and not down on the ball in his hand. We've discussed that in a previous thread. Beautiful serve. Thanks for sharing.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

I really like Charlie's serve. It looks smooth and elegant. Taylor's by comparison is quite ugly, but he can certainly thump it down.

I am not sure it was possible to muscle serves down with those diddy rackets in the same way Taylor does.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        I really like Charlie's serve. It looks smooth and elegant. Taylor's by comparison is quite ugly, but he can certainly thump it down. I am not sure it was possible to muscle serves down with those diddy rackets in the same way Taylor does.
        Do you all want me to interpret it for you? I speak German. Let me work on it.

Comment

Interpretation (sorry if it is a bit rusty, German is maybe number seven on my list of proficiency for languages LOL)!

At the start of my strike motion my body weight is resting upon the back foot (1) and remains there until the start of a windup. Only after the ball has been thrown the weight is being distributed forward (5) pay attention to the fact, that I maneuver my hips a little to the front (forward) (6 and 7), as soon as the ball begins to approach its apogee. It helps me to remain after the strike, before the actual follow through begins.

Comment

OK, sorry if you guys need a translation (I am fluent in German):

At the beginning of the serve movement my weight is on my rear foot (1) and remains there until the backswing starts. Only after the toss the weight moves forward (5). Pay attention to the fact that my hips move a bit forward as soon as the toss reaches its apex. That helps me to keep my weight behind the ball before the actual swing starts.

When the ball has reached its highest point (8) my racket is still moving back. Many players have not yet completed the backswing (9) just as the ball begins to fall. This is the instant where the ball has the slowest speed: the best moment to have it in your sight. Notice (11) that I hit the ball a couple of centimeters under the apex of the toss. I stand with my left shoulder towards the net (9) and maintain this position until impact (12). At the end of the stroke my arms cross each other in front of my body; a sign that I have laid my body weight optimally into the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post

At the beginning of the serve movement my weight is on my rear foot (1) and remains there until the backswing starts. Only after the toss the weight moves forward (5). Pay attention to the fact that my hips move a bit forward as soon as the toss reaches its apex. That helps me to keep my weight behind the ball before the actual swing starts.

When the ball has reached its highest point (8) my racket is still moving back. Many players have not yet completed the backswing (9) just as the ball begins to fall. This is the instant where the ball has the slowest speed: the best moment to have it in your sight. Notice (11) that I hit the ball a couple of centimeters under the apex of the toss. I stand with my left shoulder towards the net (9) and maintain this position until impact (12). At the end of the stroke my arms cross each other in front of my body; a sign that I have laid my body weight optimally into the shot.
              Thanks, Phil. I speak no German so that's handy. Do you speak French also? I know in your part of the world some people speak all the Swiss border languages. That's so cool.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                Thanks, Phil. I speak no German so that's handy. Do you speak French also? I know in your part of the world some people speak all the Swiss border languages. That's so cool.
                I speak English, German, Italian, French and Spanish...

Comment

That's amazing. Do you ever get the languages mixed up? Or are you native in all of them?

I coached a man who spoke seven languages fluently but who had a slight accent in all of them...weird...not one he could truly call his own.

It's an admirable skill you have there, Phil. I'm envious.
                  Stotty

Comment

I had a nanny who spoke French to me when I was a baby in Lugano, we then immigrated to L.A. and I grew up speaking Italian at home, I had Spanish in high school in L.A., then we returned to Switzerland and I studied and worked in Zurich, so that I picked up German and Swiss German. I also had a French girlfriend, which helped me brush up on French. Since I learned them all when I was young, I have no problem with them...

Comment

OOOPPPS ... I missed the second part.

Comment

No Russian? Have you ever tried to learn Mandarin? My god, its so complicated. Its crazy stupid complex. I can't believe I do not understand the most spoken language in the world. My young one thinks it a hopeless language to learn, and she is right as Russia, German, French, Spanish, English, Czech, Polish and Ukrainian are VERY simple languages to understand by comparison. Euros are amazing at languages, in Prague everyone speaks fluent english now. In Moscow, or Kiev, good luck with that! I had a friend who thought it was exception Federer spoke so many languages, and I kind of laughed at him because its normal for the Euros. The best english speakers I have ever met in my life have been the Swedish hockey players, we'd often joke they spoke better english than the Canadian kids. The Swedes are just in a class by themselves in the english language. Their school system must be something special because to a man they are just the smartest guys. What is interesting about them all is they never stay in Canada or America, they all head back home, no matter how much cash they made, and raise their kids back home and have a lovely Swedish girl.
                        Last edited by hockeyscout; 12-27-2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
                          No Russian?
                          Nyet, no yet... Though we have lots of Russians in Lugano...

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                            My command of the German language is not what it used to be, but I get the gist of it. Great pictures. Also notice how he lands on his right foot. Don't see that anymore. Love the 3rd picture as well. Notice his eyes are looking up at the intended ball toss path and not down on the ball in his hand. We've discussed that in a previous thread. Beautiful serve. Thanks for sharing.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            I appreciate the translation guys. But I was being facetious.
                            I do know some German. Enough to have asked Claudia Schiffer or Heidi Klum out on a date.

Back to the Pasarell serve, great motion. Look closely. Look at those eyes. There is a purpose in that serve. You can see it starting with the eyes.
                            Much of the effectiveness in a serve starts well before the motion. It's the plan and visualization of how the serve and the coinciding point will be played. Even in practice. Even with no partner on the other side. There is always a purpose. Plan your work. Work your plan.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

The way I see it, a harmonious, elegant movement is less stressful on the body.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3754 users online. 4 members and 3750 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X