How to play a heavy topspin player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to play a heavy topspin player?

I play now and then against a young guy with an extremely long, heavy topspin. Even standing 6 feet behind the baseline, his ball bounces shoulder height. It is heavy, often springs a bit sideways. He often mishits it but it still sails in very long. My only chances against him is returning his serve, which has lots of spin, but does not bounce so high and I can return hard and flat, or when I serve fast to his backhand. But the moment a rally begins, my goose is cooked... Since I only play against him a couple of times a year (he lives in Berne), haven't had time to accustom myself to his style.

So question is: Should I just stand close the baseline and take his balls on the rise? The disadvantage of dropping back is that then the angles increase for him and am no longer so fast on my feet.

His ranking is around 4.5. I used to beat him two years ago, because his topspin landed on the service line and it came back just the right height to hit it. Now, being so high and long, it is above my shoulder...
    Last edited by gzhpcu; 12-27-2014, 10:35 AM.

Often times, The issue is not how well my opponent plays, it is often how well I am allowing my opponent to play. He hits with heavy topspin huh? Hmmm, check out his contact point. I bet you hit it right where he likes it each and every time. Its amazing how good we can make other players look. Players with heavy spin do look impressive, when they are given the same ball over and over in their contact zone.

I wonder what would happen if a heavy topspin player tried to play that way against a strong slice?
    Ball stays low under their ideal contact height. Most players I now that hit this heavy spin you speak of are incredibly inept at hitting strong slices consistently.
    Use that biting slice Phil. Then when you get the easy short ball, you step on the gas and take charge. Do I really need to go into the joys of a effective slice?

Tennis isn't about being the better player, it's about using your shots and skill set to exploit the weaknesses of your opponent. He may be younger than you and hits heavier spin, but you have experience and a plan.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Thanks Kyle, will give it a try next time I play (unfortunately it will only be around Easter).

He solely hits his long, heavy topspin. I can make him run hitting hard and flat but he is fast as a jackrabbit. Sooner or later I lose patience or he out manuvers me.

Never played an opponent with such long and very high bouncing topspin. Hitting slice on the forehand side is tougher for me, because it is usually just a defensive shot.

Comment

Phil,

I play a lot of young guys at the club who pose the same problem for me.

In addition to kyle's advice , here are a few other possibilities.

Sometimes I can chip and charge their serves. Usually, off the second but sometimes off the first. This makes them hit passing shots rather than high loopy balls which are easier to volley.

You can also try hitting drop shots on the return.

Watch how they handle a heavy loopy topspin hit back to them during rallies. Most of the time they will retreat far behind their baseline to get into position. If they retreat like this, then sneak in after you've hit your loopy ball and then either hit a mid-court volley or hit a drop shot.

All of these strategies change the dynamics of the points and take away their advantage in pure baseline hitting and movement.

Good Luck,

Glenn

Comment

Thanks Glenn! Will try it out next time I play him...

Comment

Some times they don't like short slices to their fh, hit cross court. Or their transition games are suspect. They won't come into the net at all. Sometimes they are vulnerable to a drop shot to their back hand sides, and then a cc pass. Practice the snap back fh slice shot, not just a blocked slice, but a snap back slice that really bites low and away. (To hit this shot, use continental, and "snap back" wards, using your wrist as a sideways short serve almost, and use a longer follow through downwards/forwards.) You must line the shot up according to the incoming height of the ball coming towards you, not hit too high/low, but lined up and through the shots' height.
            Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 12-28-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks Geoff, will try...

Comment

They can also be vulnerable to a high looper deep to their bh sides, and then a ghost into net volley down the line to their bh sides, and then they will lob you.

Comment

From the advice, I get the message: need to adapt my game... and play shots I normally do not like to play...

Comment

No. It means you have to learn shots that will beat the guy who is not bothered by your current shots. That is one of the most joyful things one can do in this game. Add shots and tactics designed to beat a single player.

Comment

Great discussion. The points raised did not immediately come to mind. Truly an expansion of consciousness for any good tennis reader. It's much too easy to be cowed by players like this. Most often, they are not as good as they first seem.
                      Last edited by bottle; 12-28-2014, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Most often they can't volley nor transition well, or have weak serves/and or over heads.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                          Most often they can't volley nor transition well, or have weak serves/and or over heads.
                          That sums up my opponent nicely.

Comment

The main problem I find is that instead of having a mainly horizontal flat trajectory, which is easier to hit, you have a steep, almost perpendicular trajectory, which is tougher to get the timing right for a good hit...

Comment

I like to set these guys up with this tactical sequence: I hit a high looper cc off my bh side to their bh side, and ghost into the net, as they will answer with the same shot, that I then have an easy volley off. Then, I will hit the same shot, with my fh, dtl to their bh, and fake as if I'm coming into the net, and stop in no man's land, and they will hit a short shot intended to be at my feet/ankles, only now, it's a short sitter for my fh or bh, which I then attack with an approach dtl, and either come in normally, or if they have lobbed me already, fake as if I am coming in, and stop at the service line for an easy over head. Now, they don't know what I'm going to do next, and it vexes them. To master this sequence practice hitting loopers to their bh side off both your bh and your fh, and practice your volley/oh, and faking/stopping in no man's land as if you are going in full tilt. It takes disguise to beat good top spin players.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3033 users online. 5 members and 3028 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X