Erik van Dillen: A Tennis Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erik van Dillen: A Tennis Life

Let's get your thoughts on Lee Tyler's latest, "Erik van Dillen: A Tennis Life"

Erik 1971

I remember Erik and his phenomenal achievements as a junior player. Sadly I never witnessed him play. I know he had a decent ranking at one point and collected a few good scalps here and there along the way.

I wonder if anyone on the forum knows what his style of play was and why his senior career wasn't quite as stellar as his junior career? I know little about his game...weapons and weaknesses.

That executive decision made by the players to play a tie break in the 1971 US Open final reminds me how tennis once was. Similar things happened at Wimbledon. Thirty five years ago at Wimbledon I watched matches being played in steady rain. Yes, players played in the rain! These days, two drops of rain and the players are off.

It's nice to be posting again. I've been so ill the past 10 days I thought I may never write another line. Finally after days of staring down a white toilet bowl, I'm back.
    Stotty

Comment

I had a flu myself just over new year's--too much excitement with the Dimitrov shoot. More to that as well for later and our new relationship with Justin G...

Erik I think was not the tallest player in the history of the game. Loved to volley. But you ask good questions that I can't answer. I told him about the article so maybe he will come on.

Comment

At least we know we can't catch the flu in the Forum!

I thought there was a major omission in the story about Eric. I believe he was two years younger than me, so he graduated from high school the same June that I met Dennis Van der Meer at the Berkeley Tennis Club and drove one of his cars up to Lake Tahoe to the Incline Village Tennis Club where he had his junior camp and I would be a counselor for $50/week for 9 or 10 weeks that summer. I think Dennis was the coach for both Eric and Jeff Borowiak who was a year older than Eric. As I recall in those days, everyone in the top 5 and probably 8 of the top 10 were from Southern California (1965-68) except for Eric and Jeff.

The part I am thinking about being left out was that he was so far ahead of everyone as a 15 or 16 year-old and he lost almost an entire year of competition and training (at age 17) recovering from a near-fatal knife attack where he was stabbed something like a dozen times. It's almost 50 years ago, but it seems to me there was some concern as to whether he would ever play again. This was a whole lot worse than what happened to Seles, although he may have handled it much better psychologically. Pretty amazing accomplishments he ended up with after that.

Does anyone else remember this?

don

Comment

I was just starting to play tennis tournaments at age nine and I remember my father taking me to Golden Gate Park to see the good players in particular Erik van Dillen since we shared the same first name and my Dad thought it might inspire my tennis. He had already been one of the best juniors in the 14's though only a few years older you had to be in awe of the older players. I met him and his very sweet and proud mother. I remember years later going to see him at the Berkeley Tennis Club playing doubles at the Pacific Coast tournaent and how great he looked in his navy blue Davis Cup jacket with the USA on the chest. He had a terrific topsin serve that got him into the net which I am sure also contributed to his doubles success, he was a serve and volley player with great hands very quick like Geralitis and had a terrific slice backhand from the baseline. Very nice and gracious when i asked to take a photo of him at that time which I still have somewhere.

Comment

Very, Very Athletic!!

I saw him play doubles with Stan Smith in the early '70's., or maybe the mid 70's. What I remember through the fog of war...I mean the fog of time, is that he was short, but wiry strong, and very fit when not everyone else was. He had short, light brown hair and looked and dressed like an East Coast preppie, which I believe he was. Of course, his serve wasn't much to rave about, but was he a demon at the net! He was so quick, agile and athletic. Pound for pound he was one of the best doubles net rushers I ever saw. Even with short arms, it was hard to get anything past him. And he could really get back for the overheads. He was made for doubles as his record indicates. Understandably, he was Smith's main David Cup and tournament doubles squeeze until muscleman Bob Lutz entered the picture. And the rest is history. In my opinion, Van Dillen did everything better than Lutz except serve, and half-volley. If there's anyone in the history of tennis who was or is a better half-volleyer than Lutz, I haven't seen him. Do you know of any?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMac View Post
              If there's anyone in the history of tennis who was or is a better half-volleyer than Lutz, I haven't seen him. Do you know of any?
              Well, Nastase and McEnroe weren't bad.

Thanks for the insight into Erik. How tall is he?
              Last edited by stotty; 01-22-2015, 02:40 PM.
              Stotty

Comment

Van Dillen--5'7/5'8 Tops, I Would Say.

Yeah, he was in that range. And yes, Mac and Nastase were exceptional, as well. Maybe we should get Lutz, McEnroe, Nastase and Billie Jean King into a mini-tennis game in order to determine who has the best half-volley. That would be fun to watch! Speaking of BJK, after I posted about EVD I thought of her. They remind me of one another at the net. Fabulous short doubles players. When I was coaching, I worked many years at a place where she showed up once a year to run her amateur team tennis finals. A person in her entourage was always stating that she had the best ever volleys. I sat next to the court where she was hitting a few one day about 15 years ago. When she was done, I left thinking that her friend could be right. Even at her age at the time, it was a spectacular display; the proverbial poetry in motion.

Comment

Yeah, he was in that range. And yes, Mac and Nastase were exceptional, as well. Maybe we should get Lutz, McEnroe, Nastase and Billie Jean King into a mini-tennis game in order to determine who has the best half-volley. That would be fun to watch! Speaking of BJK, after I posted about EVD I thought of her. They remind me of one another at the net. Fabulous short doubles players. When I was coaching, I worked many years at a place where she showed up once a year to run her amateur team tennis finals. A person in her entourage was always stating that she had the best ever volleys. I sat next to the court where she was hitting a few one day about 15 years ago. When she was done, I left thinking that her friend could be right. Even at her age at the time, it was a spectacular display; the proverbial poetry in motion.
                  She was certainly a very good volleyer, especially on the backhand wing. Not quite as good as Novotna but then Novotna had the advantage of a much bigger racket. I watched BJK play with a guy called Ben Testerman in the mixed doubles at Wimbledon. She was in her twilight and Testerman was just starting out. She was still playing well around then and, yes, her volleys certainly stood out.

From memory I don't think Testerman came to much...
                  Stotty

Comment

Not that short

Van Dillen was slight, but the ATP site lists him as 6', 155 lbs. He just looked short next to Smith. And he was usually bent over for his shots pretty well.

Also, it should be noted that Smith and Lutz played together and were a staple of American Davis Cup long before Van Dillen came along. They won the first US Open in 1968 and were still winning the US Open together in 1980. I don't know what happened in there to knock Lutz out of the partnership with Smith for Davis Cup for that Romania match, perhaps his knees were acting up, but they were a team long before and after Van Dillen. And Van Dillen may have been on a team with Lutz at USC, but not Smith, unless he went to college early. Smith was born in 1946, Lutz in 1947 and Van Dillen in 1950. Van Dillen did win the US Open in 1970 and Wimbledon in 1972 with Smith. Smith, Lutz, Ashe and Gorman were playing a lot of different combinations in those years, I think looking for Davis Cup combinations. Maybe someone else remembers the details. I think Ralston was the captain with Gonzales the coach. Not sure.

don

Comment

Originally posted by HardhopX
                      w w w. fakepassportonline.cc - Number one producers of the European Biometric Passport. Passports come to you looking exactly as the ones issued by the European Home Office. These passports are verifiable using the U.V light feature for authenticity and are just perfect for use. We also specialize in the production of the Red Cover European Diplomatic Passport which is used by Diplomats to attend to international official affairs of the state.To clear all your curiosity, contact us directly through our email address at; Visit our website: http://www.fakepassportonline.cc w w w. fakepassportonline.cc Apply European Union Citizenship online Buy European passport online Buy European Union passport online Buy fake European passport Buy real European passport Buy original European passport Can i buy European Union passport Buy Diplomatic European Passport Buy Registered European Passport Buy Official European Passport Buy cash passport European Union Original European passport Buy original European passport Original European passport Best producers of European Passport Real European Union passport holder Real European passport Buy real European passport Buy real European Union passport Buy European real and fake passport online Buy real passport online Buy a real passport Buy fake and real European Union passport How to buy a real European Union passport Buy genuine fake passport Can you buy European passport Buy a European passport Buy a fake European passport Buy a European Union passport Buy a fake passport in European Passport scotch buy European How to buy European passport How to buy European passport European passport renewal European passport application European passport office European Union passport fees European passport visa free countries European passport number European passport renewal child European Union passport maker European passport agency European passport application child European Union passport application time European passport after brexit Renewing a European passport Renewing a European Union passport in australia Renewing a European passport from abroad Renewing a European Union passport online Renewing a European passport in the usa tracking a European passport application Renewing a European Union passport in New Zealand found a European passport European Union passport biometric European passport brexit European passport blue European Union passport by marriage European passport belfast European passport cost European Union passport contact European passport change of name European passport city of issue European passport card European Union passport chip European passport documents European passport duration European passport dubai visa European Union passport expiry date European passport example European passport enquiries European Union passport expired European passport express European passport extension European Union passport expiry date format European passport emergency contact page e passport European e passport European application European Union e-passport chip European Union e passport not working European e passport photo European e passport usa Register e passport European European Union passport going to usa European passport glasgow European passport going to australia European passport greece European Union passport how long European passport how much European passport hong kong visa European passport how long valid European passport issuing authority I lost my European passport I found a European passport European passport japan European Union passport jordan visa European passport jamaica European passport japanese visa European Union passport jobs European passport jumbo European passport jersey European Union passport jakarta European passport jamaica visa European passport kenya visa European Union passport korea visa European passport kuwait visa European passport kodak European Union passport kazakhstan European passport kuala lumpur European Union passport kuwait European passport kenya European passport kuwait European passport marriage European passport middle name European Union passport married European passport malaysia European passport mrz number European passport morocco European passport married name change European Union passport need visa for usa European passport office victoria European passport office glasgow European passport office belfast European Union passport office liverpool European passport office newport Cost of European passport Extension to European passport Ireland to European passport requirements European passport under uv light European Union passport cover European passport uae European Union passport validity for European Union European Union passport validity for usa European passport visa for australia European passport validity for italy European Union passport new zealand visa 1 year European passport 1 day European passport renewal 1 year European Union passport extension Buy New European passport 2019 European passport 2016 European Union passport 2017 European passport 2015 European passport 2010 European passport 2019 European Union passport 2018 European passport 24 hours European passport 2012 European passport 2009 European Union passport 2008 European passport 2014 European passport 2006 European passport renewal for 5 year old European Union passport Germany European Union passport over 75 European passport over 80 Fake European Union passport generator Fake European passport template Fake European passport number generator Fake European Union passport website Fake European Union passport online Fake European passport European law Report Fake European passport Fake European passport Buy a Fake European passport Make a Fake European passport I need a Fake European passport Make a fake European passport How to detect a Fake European passport Fake European passport buy Caught with fake passport European Union Fake European passport for sale Get fake European Union passport How to get fake European Union passport How to make fake European Union passport How to know fake European Union passport European fake passport id Identify fake European Union passports Make fake European Union passport European Union-passport fake Fake European passport online Examples of fake European Union passports Fake European passports pictures Fake European passport price Fake passport penalty European Union Fake European passports sale Fake passport sentence European Union Fake European passport to buy Fake European Union passports thailand Using fake passport European Union Any questions about European Union Passports? You need a European Passports? Want to buy European Passports? How can i buy European Passports? Is it possible to get a European Passports online? How can i renew my European Passports? Did you loss your European Passports? Who can get a European Union Passports?
                      great post... i specifically came to a tennis forum looking for fake passports... and voila, you magically appeared, thank you so much!

Comment

Yep we do get a few spammers... It's a good article though
                        Last edited by johnyandell; 06-20-2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7872 users online. 3 members and 7869 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X