Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QUESTION for resident string expert Mr. Williams ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUESTION for resident string expert Mr. Williams ...

Geoff: we're back it, training indoors, however, we've got an issue. Its cold, and we've sadly got no heat. We are playing in plus 3 conditions (and sometimes colder). Cold 75% percent balls. Man, when we get to a normal court with heat I think we will really see substantial power. I am calling it extreme tennis. I can send my rackets now to Kiev on a bus, and get them back eight hours later strung, so what is your stringing advise? Geoff, as well, playing with cold balls, how could this help us?
    Last edited by hockeyscout; 05-22-2015, 07:18 AM.

That would depend on the ra of her frame, her tension, and her arm/shoulder/elbow's ability to withstand: a high ra, a control oriented tension, and the increased likelihood of injury. Ie, no shorts, thick warm ups, thick full sleeze shirts, neck and ear warmers. Gut is safest, but she should try the hybrid: bhb7/dryeex whirl.

Comment

Thanks Geoff. You know, we're all used to the cold here, and training in it. The only minus of it is the ball is doing wacky things, and you can't drive it with any power. The issue I have with the athletes I work with is they start getting impatient, and overextending, and that is when the injuries happen. So, we've gone to slower, more fundamental base approach in the cold that preaches continuity of momentum, flow, rhythm, next to next, smooth fluid look and more compact styles with the MMA and tennis training. Its a constant issue, as athlete automatically want to extend beyond what I see as reasonable limits, however, we're getting their and we'll be at new levels by the summer. My MMA gym is in the minus now, and its cold. Gas, heating, and electricity are major problems now, and their have been many problems this year with nuclear power plants shutting down. Its war, and shortages. Anyways, it breeds a tougher more durable athlete. You know, in all the years of cold in Canada I can never remember getting muscle pulls. You learn with cold, snow and ice to always know where your hips are, what lies ahead on the horizon and how much gas you can apply, and how much you can't without losing control. You gotta be engaged at all time. As a young lad we'd play soccer, NFL style football and road hockey on ice, sleet, packed snow and all the rest, and most Canadian's do, and this is why I think we've got so many good hockey players who are always under control. Now you see Quebec is starting to produce top CFL prospects, and in a few years they will rival the USA in NFL talent I think as the environment is a good fit for that type of development. I guess when you live in warm weather all the time your body is different, then someone else who was raised in the North Pole, or a harsh, cold environment.

Comment

The flip side is this: hot weather will produce a higher degree of cramping/fatigue, sun burn, skin cancer, to cold weather genetics. She will have to use 50 proof zinc oxide paste based sun screen in hot matches, and also a salt based/electrolyte based drink to ward off lactic acid.
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 01-18-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
          The flip side is this: hot weather will produce a higher degree of cramping/fatigue, sun burn, skin cancer, to cold weather genetics. She will have to use 50 proof titanium paste based sun screen in hot matches, and also a salt based/electrolyte based drink to ward off lactic acid.
          Its interesting Geoff, reading that Sampras book, he said the Swedes and Russian did so well at the Australian Open because they loved coming into the heat from the cold! He said he hated it, and it reflected in his end performances their which were not very good. In the summer we use a lot of wet hats - shirts, ice, sun screen and the Ava Core idea (http://www.avacore.com).

I thought this system though was rather unprofessional, so this summer we will have a Polarzone Portable Cryotherapy Spa, and Big Fogg Misting Systems on delivery as last summer was just to uncomfortable for everyone!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2993 users online. 4 members and 2989 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X