How much do you workout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you workout?

Obviously, I am not talking about pros. Just us mortals.

My daily routine: I do 20 minutes of abs exercises, 5 minutes of squat sequences, 5 minutes of back excercises and 25 pushups in a row. I also walk briskly for one and half hours.

I find that is enough to keep me in shape that nothing ever aches...

Oh yes, having an outdoor pool, I additionally swim half an hour daily in summer...

Comment

I will take Phil's routine over the north pole...but that could be western degeneracy.

Comment

Today's workout…snow shovelling and the two hand backhand

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        I will take Phil's routine over the north pole...but that could be western degeneracy.
        Me too…I shovelled a foot of snow this morning. Cleared doors, wood shed, garage, barn, stable…sidewalk. Bushes, bird feeder…bla, bla, bla!!! Waiting for the snowplow to dig out the 400 meter driveway.

All in addition to my normal routine…stretches, weight bearing holds. Now I wish that I had read Brian Gordon's two hand backhand research paper…maybe I will. Someday...

Where was all of this snow at Christmas?
        Last edited by don_budge; 01-22-2015, 01:05 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Shovel…shovel…shovel...

Shovel. The car is free! Monfils up two sets to one. Shovel technique…two handed cross handed forehand (to the left hand side).

Plant the feet…load the hips…turn the shoulders away from target. Get in position to go forwards (position #4)…turn back towards the target engaging legs and hips then the shoulders. Arms to follow lifting up and through. Never let the arms get ahead of the shoulders…excess strain on the back.

Stretch…stretch…stretch. Plank…plank…plank. Exercise ball against the wall…30 squats.

Light dumbbells. Monfils and Janowicz…all square. Two sets all and into the fifth. Big moment for Janowicz. Fight or toss in the towel at the first sign of trouble?

Court time…
          Monday 5 hours
          Tuesday 6 hours
          Wednesday 5 hours
          Thursday 4 hours
          Friday 4 hours

Last edited by don_budge; 01-22-2015, 02:07 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge

Comment

More...

More snow…car clean…more squats…more small weights…more planks. Core poses. Picture to follow?

Jerzy Janowicz over Gael Monfils in five. Jerzy says…First time he has been able to train for one and a half months before the AO. He has had problems with his body. Some personal problems as well. Now he fights for every single ball. Changed his fitness. Changed his head. Big match for the big guy. It isn't to play against Gael…they are good friends off of the court. Gael is mixing everything up.

Key word…change.
            Last edited by don_budge; 01-22-2015, 02:13 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge

Comment

I installed 2" rigid, 3/0 copper wire, 28' up, by myself, and installed three 100 amp mains, off 4' x 6" rain tight gutter, three runs of 1 1/4" conduit, all with gout in two feet and a knee, off ladder runs that were above bushes/trees that made the angle nearly impossibley dangerous. Nothing like dragging 200lbs of wire up a 28' ladder and pushing it down a conduit run by yourself 28' above concrete death. Gout pain that makes you want to start screaming.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                Obviously, I am not talking about pros. Just us mortals.

My daily routine: I do 20 minutes of abs exercises, 5 minutes of squat sequences, 5 minutes of back excercises and 25 pushups in a row. I also walk briskly for one and half hours.

I find that is enough to keep me in shape that nothing ever aches...
                Work days at club: Wake-up at 3:30am. Run through neighborhood (4 miles) Get to work. On court avg. 6-10 hours. Administrative work. Done.

Days off: Work on some other business projects. Run on beach 8-10 miles. (50% on pathway, 50% on sand) Basketball for 30-45 min. Swimming for 45 minutes. Get back to work. MMA training Thursday nights. Back to work. Repeat.

Seems to work for me. To each their own.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

I work on average 42 hours per week. I'm busy. I always roll up my sleeves and work hard physically myself with my better students. It gives a good example which they mirror, and I get a good workout. The problem is I am 52 in May and starting to feel it. I am in need of some "get younger" tablets if anyone knows where I can get some.

How the hell am I going to do this at 60...
                  Stotty

Comment

Stotty,

Two words: Sports Attack.

Great, great ball machine that can hit 3000rpm of spin and also serve at 100plus mph (with spin) to within 3 inches of the same spot. About $7K USD. I haven't fed a ball in over 10 years... (62 now...)

Since everyone else is going into detail:

5 days a week: In the morning, ride the stationary bike 30 minutes doing intervals. 20 minutes of stretching and 20 minutes of weights. At night 2 laps in the pool and 15 minutes more stretching in the hot tub...

Trying to eliminate a percentage of the martinis that are also part of my training.

Comment

John brings up an excellent point for stotty.

When it comes to wear and tear on your body while on the courts, a ball machine does the trick. I have two playmate ball machines at my facility. A friend of mine and fellow tennis professional Stan Oley is the sales rep. One of the machines has bluetooth (whatever that is) and connects to an ipad. I use the ball machine often and can change drills, feeds, spins, frequency, pace at a moments notice on the ipad. I can also create drills with it for clinics and it saves it for future use.

It really is great since I can allow ball machine to feed a perfect feed to my exact specifications and I can remain closer to my student to instruct and see their stroke from all angles. It really is an incredible tool to have in your arsenal and most importantly, it saves your body and can make you a more effective teacher. That is a win/win in my book.

As far as getting or feeling younger, there are a few tricks I know of

It's probably too late now for you stotty, but try staying 32 years old. Personally, I've never felt better all day and all night

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

An ageing Stotty...ball machines.

I do have a ball machine, a Wilson one which I bought when I damaged a nerve in my arm. I felt a bit redundant using it in some ways because I always felt the need to replicate the real game for my students. I found it most useful for my better players where I could instruct a video from courtside. I found it much less useful for general club players who are better off being less pernickety about strokes and paying more attention learning to play points and games to good club standard.

The other thing with ball machines is the balls run out so quick. Six minutes later you're picking them all up again! Plus it's freezing cold over here and I need to move with the student to keep warm.

It cannot go on though. My lower back is shot. I have golfers elbow I cannot get rid of. My shoulder is playing up also. I have also lost athleticism. I cannot back peddle and elevate for smashes anymore...once my favourite pastime. I still move well when I am oiled up but that can take 30 minutes at least to get to anything close to my formula 1 capacity. On top of this I feel I am bound to lose appeal in some quarters as time goes on. Who wants a coach who coughs and splutters onto court! I try to arrive to lessons well before my students in the mornings so they don't see what a process it is for me to get out of the car.

It's depressing when your best qualities erode. I am getting slower (formally movement was my best quality) and I miss forehand volleys...positively unheard of in my younger days.

I will have to review this ball machine business. See if I can find one that does more tricks and that can hold more than the 70 balls mine holds. Maybe I should get two machines like tennis_chiro.
                        Last edited by stotty; 01-23-2015, 02:13 AM.
                        Stotty

Comment

Actually, I am talking about non-tennis excercises here. Abs, pushups, jogging, etc.

Comment

Jump rope

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                            Actually, I am talking about non-tennis excercises here. Abs, pushups, jogging, etc.
                            I'm not much of a gym rat. I like to be outside running and playing and doing something more physical than being in static positions. But one of the best workouts and something I encourage all my students do it to benefit their tennis and footwork is jumping rope. I love this little exercise. Jump rope just 1000 revolutions a day. Do 250 four times or 100 ten times or 500 two times a day. however you break it down. It gets you going.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                              I installed 2" rigid, 3/0 copper wire, 28' up, by myself, and installed three 100 amp mains, off 4' x 6" rain tight gutter, three runs of 1 1/4" conduit, all with gout in two feet and a knee, off ladder runs that were above bushes/trees that made the angle nearly impossibley dangerous. Nothing like dragging 200lbs of wire up a 28' ladder and pushing it down a conduit run by yourself 28' above concrete death. Gout pain that makes you want to start screaming.
                              I'm supposed to take up the Christmas lights on the front hedge but haven't done so yet. Am afraid I'll get electrocuted.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2410 users online. 9 members and 2401 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X