No announcement yet.

Aaron Krickstein vs. Andre Agassi…Tournament of Champions 1989 quarterfinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Krickstein vs. Andre Agassi…Tournament of Champions 1989 quarterfinals

Andre Agassi playing with 107 square inches of Donnay Pro1…Aaron playing with 85 square inches of Yonex.

Lots of super interesting stuff going on in this match in 1989 at the West Side Tennis Club in Queens New York. Former site of the U. S. Open. Cliff Drysdale and Arthur Ashe in the booth. Both fellows are incredibly astute tennis minds and they compliment each other seamlessly. The quality of the comments are priceless. Not the chatter that you are forced to listen to nowadays. But of course the subject was much more interesting back then.

Drysdale at one point makes a comment that ironically compared Agassi to Steffi Graff. See the twin towers in one shot of the New York skyline. Skyscrapers and everything (Stevie Wonder-Inner Visions).

Aaron gets his butt handed to him in the first set but gamely turns it a around in the second to make a match of it. Agassi prevails in the third. Neither player towels off one single time in between points…forsaking the god forsaken towel antics. No fastidious ball checking before the service points. Both players all business as they get to the service line and put the ball in play. No twitches…no feigned rituals. No nonsense. Some old school stuff was still present in the game…even from Andre who was one of the biggest, if not the biggest "hotdogs" of his generation.

Arthur makes a couple of really interesting comments about the equipment and the size of the racquets. Cliff mentions that both of these players hit so much harder than his generation of players and Ashe is quick to point out that the racquets are bigger. You can hear a bit of sardonic wit in his voice. He follows with…"if you gave Rod Laver a racquet of similar size he would be better than all of them". Something to that effect. This was a comment at the time and was completely relevant coming from an astute student of the game. If you say the same thing now you are looked at with the consternation of the politically correct thought police. At least you are thought to be somewhat impolite. See how the truth can shift with time. Beware…of the political doublespeak.

I wonder what Aaron's coach would have told him after watching this match. My advice to him when playing against Agassi would be number one…keep the ball deep and preferably to the backhand and work the point from there. By rifling balls balls hard and in the vicinity of the service line Aaron was playing right into Agassi's "wheelhouse". The concept of depth was an all important place to begin when playing Andre Agassi because as you can see and as Drysdale and Ashe discuss at length…Andre is playing inside the baseline and Aaron is at least one meter behind it and maybe two.

You maybe see some of Andre's father's boxing attitude in this tactic and some of the initial lesson Bolletieri is emphasising to a rather young Agassi in this video below. Also you can see that the current modern paradigm originated probably from this relationship…Nick Bolletieri and Andre Agassi. Image was indeed everything. The subliminal message took over the tennis world and you can see what we are left with today. The Aftermath. If you are a true student of the game…you know your tennis history. Go deep…while you can.

As for the coaches of the two players. From what the announcers have discussed Agassi is still in the Bolletieri stable but Aaron has jumped ship. He is being coached by another coach that I don't recognize. Aaron's game looks identical to the game that I saw when I used to travel with him on the junior circuit. No changes whatsoever. No adaption to the men's game from the junior game. Essentially playing the same style as he did when he was twelve. Remember what our charlesdarwin said…"it isn't necessarily the strongest or the smartest that survives, it is the one that best adapts to change".

When I knew Aaron I thought that the sky was the limit. Pancho Segura made some really positive comments about his potential. He may well have been the heir apparent to Bjorn Borg if he would have adapted a bit more to the men's game. Borg afterall came to play an exhibition at Aaron's coming out party at the Palace in Auburn Hills, Michigan when he turned pro. Borg beat him in three sets.

Aaron rather suddenly left for the Bolletieri Academy before I was going to make some suggestions. If I would have been don_budge back then I would have volunteered a long range plan early on in our relationship but as it was this was not my role at the time. I was very happy indeed with my role and have no regrets about any of it. His family treated me like family and I will always have a place for them in my heart and I am forever thankful for the experience. Much as I am for my experience with Don Budge. I have been very lucky.

As don_budge though…I would have fast tracked a plan to incorporate more net attack as Arthur Ashe is formulating at times during the match. Also the serve was something that I really wanted to address and I did…but I was too late. I remember having a discussion with his father comparing the serving game to a Jack Morris who was a pitcher for the Detroit Tigers back then. The ability to move the ball up and down, or in and out. I don't think that Bolletieri ever got to that level of coaching with him or any of his other players for that matter.

The biggest strength of the Bolletieri deal was the stable itself. His crop of competition insight. A bit of a wolfpack…the strength of the wolf is the pack and the strength of the pack is the wolf. His stable was able to feed off of each other and the competition drove up the level of…competitiveness. But all of the players were pretty one-dimensional. He took full advantage of the equipment change too…no worries about tennis etiquette or devotion to the game of the past. I certainly have no personal beef with Nick…although he did sort of brush me aside to hog the television interview in Louisville, Kentucky. Looking back it is pretty amusing. My differences with Nick are more philosophical and perhaps ethical. Certainly they are far removed from his reality. He doesn't know me from Adam.

An interesting thread about Aaron…tennis-warehouse style.

Interestingly enough at the premature conclusion of this video Cliff Drysdale and Arthur Ashe are discussing Mats Wilander who is the current wunderkind of the tour as he had won 3 of the 4 Slams in the previous year. Their insightful comments into the Mats Wilander personna are quite interesting indeed.
    Last edited by don_budge; 01-25-2015, 09:40 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Saw Aaron last week when he invited me to a play in his pro-am at his club. We chatted about University of Michigan Football, My club community (where he actually lives) and about life. He still hits the ball clean and mean with a 90 sq. in. Wilson Pro staff. We also share the same racquet technician in Delray Beach. Aaron's a great guy, never a bad word anyone can say about him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

On the cusp of the equipment change/debacle…Aaron Krickstein

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Saw Aaron last week when he invited me to a play in his pro-am at his club. We chatted about University of Michigan Football, My club community (where he actually lives) and about life. He still hits the ball clean and mean with a 90 sq. in. Wilson Pro staff. We also share the same racquet technician in Delray Beach. Aaron's a great guy, never a bad word anyone can say about him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Hahahaha…still playing with the "undersized" tennis racquet. Thanks Kyle. Leftovers from his association from me…his love for classic tennis. Here's a guy who may have suffered the most from the change of new equipment. He and the rest of the classic tennis players. Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Ivan Lendl…all of the rest. He was playing with the standard sized Wilson Ultra when I was with him.

Many of the juniors had already started the change to the oversized racquets but he was among the last…if not the last. He dominated them anyways winning his fair share of gold balls. His last perhaps at Kalamazoo in 1981 still with his standard sized racquet. He was 15 playing in the 18 and under…he defeated Patrick McEnroe in the finals…I believe. His hand eye coordination was just unbelievable…tennis_chiro was telling me how he watched Aaron playing doubles at the 1984 U. S. Open and how his service returns were such a learning experience for him.

But most of all there was the "enigmatic aura" about Aaron. He was such a competitor. But he never showed any outward signs of aggression…he did it all with his racquet. Personality wise…he inherited a sense of justice, dignity, class and fairness from his great father Herb Krickstein and wonderful mother Evelyn. Herb might well be the gold standard in "tennis parenting". He afforded Aaron every opportunity to pursue his dream but did it in a way that somehow evaded the usual traps and pitfalls of being a tennis parent. Of course there was Evelyn the mother too who was also the gold standard in being a "tennis mom"…a heart of gold.

Enigmatic in the sense that he could outwardly be such an easy going fellow yet on the court he had this unreal capacity to be mentally tough. Always did…even when he was a kid. He was just a kid when I met him and I tortured him with my left handed serve for a couple of years…but the payback was a bitch. His returns started to come back at me at a speed where I had the sensation that visually I could not pick up the ball clearly. He hit it so hard…I couldn't see it. Never knew that sensation. He was doing it with a standard sized racquet no less. He may have gotten screwed by the equipment…looking back historically.
      Last edited by don_budge; 01-25-2015, 08:21 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge

Comment

Interesting post...

One interesting comment from the tennis warehouse thread in post number one...

All Bolletieri's finished goods are the same, seen
        one,seen all
        Seles,Courier,Arias,Krickstein, many Russian Girls..
        Big big FH
        A suposed combative temperament in order to really jeopardize a total lack of imagination and ability to change when losing
        Week serve but good returns and pretty good baseline consistency
        Panick to that unknown Mistery call Net
        Wore down soon,probably unable to bear their robotical life and play
        Look at Hingis!!!
        She escaped from the boring to death Bolletieri's life and became a fresh,smiling,imaginative champion!!! I take my hat off
        She had the courage to escape running from that intelectual and moral prison...and she let behind her that restrained face of all Nick's SKU's

Don't forget that Nick probably feels Agassi is his greatest product.
        Is Sharapova a product or really a Lansdorf pupil ? -joe sch

Last edited by don_budge; 01-25-2015, 08:45 AM.
        don_budge

Comment

Krickstein...first impressions

Thanks for posting the match. I watched it from start to finish. I have hardly ever watched Aaron play so it was new viewing for me. He was one of those guys I had heard but never got to see. I was sceptical at first but liked him more and more as the match went on.

I have never played on Hard Tru but it's doesn't seem to be so much a defender's surface as red clay. The reason I think this is because the surface seems/sounds rock hard...with cinders or granules sprinkled over it. It must be like moving on marbles for the defender. It was only once Krickstein started to anticipate better and started to get a bit more aggressive that he was able to get a foothold in the match. In the first set he was very conservative while Agassi was dishing out huge shots. It looks tough to move on that surface from a standing start...you can't accelerate flat out straight away. This a big disadvantage if you can't read the other player's play...an even bigger disadvantage if that player is aggressive. Is my impression correct about this surface or have I got it wrong?

Things seemed get better for Krickstein in the second set...for reasons already stated. He had to be almost forced out of his conservative shell but when he came out he showed he can really dish out some aggressive play. I found Krickstein interesting to watch. He doesn't look the fastest mover yet he's always there...if that makes sense. He doesn't go away either. He's a bit like a piece of chewing gum that gets stuck to your shoe. He waited for Agassi's level to drop then stepped right in. I warmed to Krickstein because he hangs around like that.

That fourth game in the third set was key. He needed to take just a little more advantage of that manic spell Agassi was having. A 3-1 lead might have made all the difference.

You will have to enlighten me on the serve. The action looked fairly tame yet the serve was accurate and well placed. He doesn't seem to drive up much, and on a number of serves his left foot never left the ground.

I found his backhand an odd shot. The backswing looks tiny and he doesn't lower the racket head much. Some of the close range footage given here and there throughout the match reveals this best

I think the most pivotal part the larger rackets seem to have played, in a Darwinist sense, is in leading players away from mild grips. The smaller head size of wooden rackets likely led most players to have milder grips as it's more reliable (for shank reasons) for a small racket head to move up to the ball on edge rather than the modern day dog pat. Just my thoughts...based on nothing concrete I might add.
          Last edited by stotty; 01-25-2015, 02:47 PM.
          Stotty

Comment

stotty,

Krickstein's strokes have not changed one bit since his playing days. I see him all the time and can tell you those shots are still rock steady. His volleys have improved since his playing days however since he is now teaching and naturally hits more at net than any other shot. Still have not seen him miss a ball yet, in a lesson or on my courts against the ball machine.

Har-tru material is quite popular down here in South Florida. In fact, every country club down here has them. Can't exist as a tennis operation down here without it. Unlike european red clay which is made from crushed brick, Har-tru is made from crushed basalt, making the surface slightly harder and faster. Green clay is packed to make the subsurface. It is then covered with a topping. I've played on some hard courts that are much slower than a moderate har-tru court. It does get affected by conditions as well. The surface in this Krickstein vs. Agassi video was har-tru that was not in its best form due to the rain.

With Krickstein, what you see is what you get. Tremendous ball striker who stays quiet and does his job. No flash, no attention grabbing antics or quotes. Just a hard working, honest blue collar guy that does what he is supposed to do at the best of his abilities.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Aaron

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              stotty,
              Krickstein's strokes have not changed one bit since his playing days. I see him all the time and can tell you those shots are still rock steady. His volleys have improved since his playing days however since he is now teaching and naturally hits more at net than any other shot. Still have not seen him miss a ball yet, in a lesson or on my courts against the ball machine.

With Krickstein, what you see is what you get. Tremendous ball striker who stays quiet and does his job. No flash, no attention grabbing antics or quotes. Just a hard working, honest blue collar guy that does what he is supposed to do at the best of his abilities.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              It seems he wasn't considered much of a volleyer in his day yet he could still volley well compared to many of today's players. The bar has clearly changed. People said Borg wasn't much of a volleyer back in his day but he was clearly an efficient volleyer when you watch old clips. He looks positively comfortable at the net compared to players these days. Still, as John often says, the ball is whistling along very quick these days and often with plenty of spin too. The volleyer has his work cut out, for sure.

I like Krickstein's attitude. I like his ball striking. I just questioned why he wasn't more aggressive more often as he was clearly comfortable taking balls on when he forced to. It's like there was something out there not letting him keep the foot on the accelerator at times.

As I said in my earlier post, I like sticky players that don't go away. Aaron certainly seemed like one of those players.

Thanks for the brief on Har Tru. We don't have it over here. Virtually all our courts used for tournament are Acrylic...like you are seeing now at the Aussie Open. Movement looks precarious on Har Tru. If you get wrong footed, you've had it.
              Stotty

Comment

The only player with as many 2 set down come backs in slams than Krickstein is Fed.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                  The only player with as many 2 set down come backs in slams than Krickstein is Fed.
                  If that is a fact then it's an interesting one....
                  Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    I like Krickstein's attitude. I like his ball striking. I just questioned why he wasn't more aggressive more often as he was clearly comfortable taking balls on when he forced to. It's like there was something out there not letting him keep the foot on the accelerator at times.

As I said in my earlier post, I like sticky players that don't go away. Aaron certainly seemed like one of those players.
                    That's how Aaron is. Not an aggressive personality. Low key. Quiet. Unassuming. The first 5 years I knew Aaron he said a total of 10 words to me, people would tell me afterwards he must really like me because he said something to me. Our relationship is much closer now, at least, as close as Aaron lets people get. It's not arrogance or being full of himself, not in the least bit, he's just a shy, quiet guy. And that's fine by me.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 5157 users online. 5 members and 5152 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X