The unit turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The unit turn

What article does john yandall have the best description of the unit turn?

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Not just good; it's great. It's a great reminder of what great articles are sitting here in the archives to be reviewed anytime you want to check them out. I know I must have seen this article when it first came out and I've been using the information for years, but it's so well done, it feels like I am hearing it for the first time.

Also, couldn't believe you quoted me in your narration! Thanks!

don

Comment

yes I love this video whats the best written one you have done?

Comment

also were you the first person to come up with the unit turn?

Comment

Great video. Very clear.

Comment

Here is an older one that also discusses it:

It's in the Roger And Novak and Rafa forehand articles as well.

Comment

were you the first person to discover it?

Comment

The first person I heard use that term was Jack Groppel in the 1980s. It was a verbal description. I think the contribution I made was to create images of it and also to describe how it continues to the full turn and especially the role of the left arm stretch.

I can still remember the surprise myself and some of the USTA coaches felt when we saw the left arm go across in the first high speeed footage from live pro matches in 1997.

Comment

Yes, John, looking in my library, I found this from Jack Groppel's book, Tennis for Advanced Players and Those who Would Like to Be, 1984:

Comment

Great find. Although I will say we have explicated it and shown how it combines with numerous footwork patterns. And not least, given it imagery. Someday I will ask Jack where he got it.

Comment

The perfect term

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                      Great find. Although I will say we have explicated it and shown how it combines with numerous footwork patterns. And not least, given it imagery. Someday I will ask Jack where he got it.
                      Whatever...whoever, it's great term, a term that sums up the action perfectly all by itself.
                      Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8016 users online. 4 members and 8012 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X