• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A letter to Robin Söderling's father…written in April of 2011

Attn: Bo Söderling

Re: Your son Robin’s service game

Dear Sir...

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you and your son on the fantastic achievements that you have accomplished in the game of tennis. It is rather amazing that a boy can come from a small town in Sweden to become one of the top tennis players in the world. Six years ago, just before moving to Sweden from the United States I watched Robin playing on the television and I said to my friend who was watching with me…”This kid can play!”

I called you the other day after watching your son Robin lose in the finals of the Båstad tournament. It was a rather dramatic ending to double fault on match point, a cardinal sin in tennis, to lose the tournament. I don’t think that enough can be made of this unfortunate ending and if I were close to Robin it would be my job to inform him that perhaps it is a sign. The sign is that his service motion is inadequate and that sometimes it will produce bad results under pressure and it is not the consistent weapon that it potentially should be. That’s the bad news. The good news is that he can change that…if he wants to.

My partner, Frans Jonsson and I watched Robin practicing Monday and Tuesday of the tournament and both of us were very impressed with his incredible ability to hit the ball from the baseline. We watched a number of matches and judging from what we saw on the practice court the tournament was Robins to win. As the tournament unfolded it became apparent it was not going to be as easy as it appeared on the practice court. Every single player in that tournament had nothing to lose when they played Robin…it is a chance for them to climb the ladder and only serves to motivate them. Robin, on the other hand, has everything to lose and in this case if his opponent can successfully slow down his momentum and drag him down…it is to their advantage. Several of his opponents almost did exactly that until, finally, the Spaniard accomplished it in the finals.

So the question is always “why?” I think. Why did he struggle with inferior opponents and why the double fault on match point? To me the answer is fairly obvious…the service motion is inadequate to the task. If the motion is faulty…less than perfect, it is more likely to fail when nerves are into play, when the situation is tight, when the conditions are less than perfect. The machine may break down when you need it most. Not always…but more likely to, as it did in this case.

In my opinion, considering your sons size and athletic ability nothing short of the best serve in the game should be the goal for Robin and certainly it is the one facet in his game where room for improvement (potential) may be found. Obviously, at his level he should have his sights on the number one ranking in the world and clearly it is within his sight. But the problem is that perhaps instead of getting closer to this goal it may be difficult to maintain his position if he does not do something to lift his game…and his confidence.

Please consider the following as my analysis of the importance of the service game and how it is achievable for Robin. In my opinion, if he were to take the steps to dramatically improve his service technique and tactics his chances to win any given tennis match will greatly improve. He will be better equipped to play those players who are ranked considerably lower than him more efficiently and he will be better equipped to challenge those players that are on his level or ranked higher. I think he can have a higher standard of play on a consistent basis.

Bill Tilden on the serve-

Before I go into the actual stroke production of the service I must impress on the pupil several generalities about the service. Power and control in service come from the free use of the racquet head, and can never be gained by the wild gyrations and acrobatic writhing in which you see so many players indulge. All of the great services that I have ever seen have been hit with ease, simplicity, apparently little body movement and no violent contortion.

And…

The method of tossing high in the air and then hitting the ball, as it is falling has several disadvantages. It destroys the coordinated rhythm of arms and swing of racquet so necessary for control. Its only advantage is that it allows the player to take a tremendous swing, but such a swing is not needed if you control your racquet head. (Robin’s technique)

By using the proper method by starting the swing and then tossing to the racquet you gain surprise since the ball is in the air so short a time that your opponent cannot anticipate just when it will be hit. You gain control because the toss has less time to deflect and a shorter distance to go until hit. Most importantly, you attain perfect rhythm, since the toss arm and the racquet arm go up together and keep the body balanced and ready to hit as hard or as easily as wished. (Federer, McEnroe, Becker, Sampras, Pancho Gonzales come to mind)

A description of the Pancho Gonzales serve…

The Gonzales service is a natural action that epitomizes grace, power, control and placement. The top players sigh when they see the smooth, easy action. There is no trace of a hitch and no unnecessary movements. I have never seen a serve so beautifully executed. The toss is no higher than it has to be and it is timed so that he is fully stretched when he hits it. The backswing is CONTINUOUS and the motion of the backswing blends into the hit and continues into the follow-through without a pause..

Service Theory and Application

When building the service game of a tennis player we must have the foundation of a perfect motion to build upon. Once this is accomplished we can begin to explore spinning the ball. We will need to be able to spin the ball with slice spin, over spin and with American twist (kick spin), plus have the ability to hit the ball without spin, the flat serve or smash. With a perfect motion and the ability to spin the ball we can embark on service tactics which is practically a book in itself. Service should always be used to place your opponent on the defensive but there are more ways to do it than by merely trying to blast him off the court. The total service should be almost equal proportions speed, spin and placement but these proportions should vary with each individual serve.

When a tennis player has the ability to serve the ball accurately with the aforementioned spins to 4 or 5 targets in each the deuce and advantage courts you have a vast number of options for all of the different circumstances that are possible during the course of a tennis match. In this manner one can dominate their service game consistently and this puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the opponent to hold their serve. They know that if they lose their own service game it is going to be a real challenge to break back. Currently only the serve of Roger Federer among the present day players comes to mind when considering these aspects of the service game.

Once the service game is addressed and all of the fundamentals are a firm and solid core of the tennis player’s service game many other facets of the game are enhanced. Suddenly with a dominant serve the forehand and backhand get better. Suddenly there are opportunities to approach the net to quickly finish points, which by the way, I think it is a shame that a player of Robin’s size and stature has not been explored. This would be the other aspect of Robin’s potential that I would advise to take careful consideration of the possibilities. That is, how to efficiently handle balls in the middle court and effectively transition from the backcourt to the net.

So, if I were on Robin’s team…in his corner so to speak, I would immediately begin to work on this aspect of his game in order that he might reach the full potential of his ability. First the service motion, then perfect spinning the ball and finally develop sound tactics. I can understand that he has a competent coach and a nice compliment of people advising him but perhaps what he really needs now is a…service guru. You know, to help him climb to the top of the mountain. Good Luck!

Respectfully

Steve Navarro aka don_budge
    Last edited by don_budge; 02-11-2015, 01:22 AM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
      I think everyone is missing the point I was trying to bring up, except maybe D_B. I have a lot of issues I would try to take up with actual technique of either of these players, and, of course, I think I am the most qualified person to make those corrections, but that doesn't matter (and I will never get that chance anyway).

What is really obvious to me is the mental approach to the service game is all wrong. Regardless of the technique, a world class player should be able to generate an offensive mentality when he is putting his serve in play. Along with that mentality go tactics and strategy. Technique is just kind of taken for granted (mistakenly), but any world class pro feels like he is in control when he is puttin his serve in play, unless he is playing someone at the Murray/Djokovic/Ferrer level.

These guys kind of look like they would rather be returning. That's just wrong. There has to be an entire paradigm shift in the underlying mental makeup of these players, regardless of whether they improve their technique or just get better at doing what they already know how to produce. You have to be thinking about how your serve is going to lead you to the next shot in your sequence and sooner rather than latter to a chance to use the bg weapon in your arsenal.

I think that mindset is really missing. And that is a shame.

don
      I know what you mean but don't think in Koslov's case it is a bad as you think. If you watch my clip carefully and listen to the score being called, you will notice he has served two aces off his second serve. Twice he caught his opponent napping. He also varied his service position along the baseline throughout the match. This is good stuff from a then 15 year-old. He has reasonable composure at least. Whether he was using it tactically to set up the next shot is debatable for sure. My concern is that his serve has NOT developed. He is just a bigger, stronger kid with much the same serve as two years ago...maybe a more forward ball toss. I don't like that type of weight transfer because it isn't doing much. But as you say there isn't much anyone on the forum can do other than look and comment.

But certainly you would like to see a bit more Becker about him with regard to "taking care of his serve" as don_budge rather nicely puts it. There is definitely a way of going about it that can make you a more difficult player to break. He would need a bit more on his serve you would think to be able to use it tactically to set up situations.

Interesting post...
      Last edited by stotty; 02-11-2015, 12:35 AM.
      Stotty

Comment

I think everyone is missing the point I was trying to bring up, except maybe D_B. I have a lot of issues I would try to take up with actual technique of either of these players, and, of course, I think I am the most qualified person to make those corrections, but that doesn't matter (and I will never get that chance anyway).

What is really obvious to me is the mental approach to the service game is all wrong. Regardless of the technique, a world class player should be able to generate an offensive mentality when he is putting his serve in play. Along with that mentality go tactics and strategy. Technique is just kind of taken for granted (mistakenly), but any world class pro feels like he is in control when he is puttin his serve in play, unless he is playing someone at the Murray/Djokovic/Ferrer level.

These guys kind of look like they would rather be returning. That's just wrong. There has to be an entire paradigm shift in the underlying mental makeup of these players, regardless of whether they improve their technique or just get better at doing what they already know how to produce. You have to be thinking about how your serve is going to lead you to the next shot in your sequence and sooner rather than latter to a chance to use the bg weapon in your arsenal.

don
        It is an athletic sequencing issue. He is weak like bambi, buckling like hell.He's so badly out of control. Mr Ronald Washington, he's an athlete, and Kozlov isn't.
        Last edited by hockeyscout; 05-22-2015, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Stefan Koslov…the athlete and his service game

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
          Its not a mental issue.

It is an athletic sequencing issue.
          This is obviously true as well. I questioned his athleticism early on with the first posting that Stotty put up for us. I attributed much of this to his age and physical immaturity. But it doesn't appear that as he is getting older that he is developing athletically.

He hasn't really matured physically or even in his skill sets. The running, jumping and strength and quickness aspects of his athletic self. This is often one of the big problems of setting an 8 or 9 year old on the path of the professional tennis player route. Necessary athletic skills that can be developed naturally from playing and competing in other sports are often ignored.

The aim should be the men's game…not the 12 and under. The aim for full development should be around 18 or 19 years old…not 14 or 15 years old. The modern game fell into this trap of instant gratification from junior trophies, junior rankings and subsequent accolades. Nothing appears to be changing in this regard. So hockey_scout is absolutely correct in this regard. It is readily apparent in the Stefan Koslov service game and he is fast approaching the age where this work should already have been done.

It was years ago that I mentioned to klacr…half jokingly…that he hook me up so that I might intervene. Half jokingly…because like tennis_chiro I feel fully qualified and capable of doing a job like this. Much as I was suggesting to Mr. Söderling.
          Last edited by don_budge; 02-12-2015, 05:55 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            It was years ago that I mentioned to klacr…half jokingly…that he hook me up so that I might intervene. Half jokingly…because like tennis_chiro I feel fully qualified and capable of doing a job like this. Much as I was suggesting to Mr. Söderling.
            I remember that. He is under the guidance of USTA and their services. For better or worse...

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

The Missing Point…Classic Service Motion and Accompanying Tactics

I think everyone is missing the point I was trying to bring up.

don
              The tennis population by and large has missed the point that you are making. This is such an important discussion tennis_chiro and thanks for bringing it up and giving me a chance to once more vent on the modern tennis paradigm.

In this missing point you will find a direct connection to all of this talk about serve and volley missing in modern tennis. The missing all-court tennis play and on and on.

Your point is the missing link in much of tennis play today. If you look at the marvellous tennis players of yesteryear…when they came to that base line to serve they knew exactly what they were doing. Their tactics and strategy was all mapped out before they got to the base line. Each of their service motions were geared towards tactics as well as technique.

Look at Lew Hoad, Rod Laver, Ilie Nastase, Arthur Ashe, Tony Trabert…any of a thousand names. They came to the line and bounced the ball once…if at all, and zoom they were off and running playing the game of chess on the tennis board.

They didn't need to bounce the ball umpteen times as if they were trying to make up their minds about what they were going to do. Modern tennis really is a joke if you stop and think about it. We were short-changed in the deal.

Classic serving motions and accompanying tactics are missing in the game. What a shame…what a loss. Most modern day tennis enthusiasts are just too young to appreciate just what it is we are talking about.
              don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                The tennis population by and large has missed the point that you are making. This is such an important discussion tennis_chiro and thanks for bringing it up and giving me a chance to once more vent on the modern tennis paradigm.

In this missing point you will find a direct connection to all of this talk about serve and volley missing in modern tennis. The missing all-court tennis play and on and on.

Your point is the missing link in much of tennis play today. If you look at the marvellous tennis players of yesteryear…when they came to that base line to serve they knew exactly what they were doing. Their tactics and strategy was all mapped out before they got to the base line. Each of their service motions were geared towards tactics as well as technique.

Look at Lew Hoad, Rod Laver, Ilie Nastase, Arthur Ashe, Tony Trabert…any of a thousand names. They came to the line and bounced the ball once…if at all, and zoom they were off and running playing the game of chess on the tennis board.

They didn't need to bounce the ball umpteen times as if they were trying to make up their minds about what they were going to do. Modern tennis really is a joke if you stop and think about it. We were short-changed in the deal.

Classic serving motions and accompanying tactics are missing in the game. What a shame…what a loss. Most modern day tennis enthusiasts are just too young to appreciate just what it is we are talking about.
                Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
                Have a mindset and a strategy of attack. Use your serve to its full advantage. A serve is not meant to start the point, it is meant to give you advantage of the point by exploiting a flaw in your opponen't arsenal. Players at all levels do not fully understand how important the serve can become. Quite often, a player heaves a ball from their hand with no intention other than to start the point. Once the ball is struck and lands in the box, it becomes an improvisational routine from then on. Improvisation is good in Jazz. Not ideal for tennis serving and point construction.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Apparently Koslov is coached by his father and spends six hours a day on court and an hour and 30 minutes in the gym.
                  Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    Apparently Koslov is coached by his father and spends six hours a day on court and an hour and 30 minutes in the gym.
                    His father was a former player and has been a coach at his own academy down here in South Florida for many years. When Stefan turned 14 or 15, his coach stepped back and handed over the reins to USTA. I'm not sure where that relationship is now with USTA as I assumed he was still under their "jurisdiction", considering he still trains at the USTA training center here in Boca Raton, just a few minutes down the street from my club.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                      His father was a former player and has been a coach at his own academy down here in South Florida for many years. When Stefan turned 14 or 15, his coach stepped back and handed over the reins to USTA. I'm not sure where that relationship is now with USTA as I assumed he was still under their "jurisdiction", considering he still trains at the USTA training center here in Boca Raton, just a few minutes down the street from my club.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      A few days ago he cited his father is his coach:

Stotty

Comment

Good to know. Perhaps his father is recognized as his coach but the USTA, in efforts of trying to be more inclusive to their non pet project players, is allowing Kozlov use of facilities. I've heard about Stefan Kozlov since the age of 8. I do wish him well on the tour. It's an uphill battle.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

2015 Memphis Open…ATP 250…Memphis, Tennessee

Nine Americans entered in the 32 player field and five were left in the quarterfinals. They all seemed to compete really well. Ryan Harrison and Austin Krajicek both competed hard before succumbing to the number one seed Kei Nishikori. Sam Querry and John Isner faced off in one quarterfinal with Sudden Sam emerging the victor. He faces Kei Nishikori in the top semi. Nishikori playing his third straight American.

Donald Young continues to show signs of being able to put himself in contention with players that are ranked higher than him. He has beaten Adriano Mannarino and Bernard Tomic and now he faces Kevin Anderson in the semis. Literally a tall order for the American. Steve Johnson is another American who has been competing well against higher ranked players.

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

don_budge

Comment

American Tennis…Memphis, Tennessee 2015

Kei Nishikori over Sam Querry 5-7, 7-6, 7-6. I am not sure of the entertainment value of this particular match…if you know what I mean. But it looks as if Sam competed well.

Donald Young loses to Kevin Anderson in the other semi…4-6, 6-3, 6-4. Another match in which it appears that Donald is gaining in experience and feeling more comfortable with the big names in tennis.

Judging from the scores and not from seeing anything of the matches it appears that the American players competed really well in this tournament. This is a really good sign for American tennis and hopefully a good sign for the year to come.

A number of these guys are starting to put in good competitive performances every time they step on the court. One of the hallmarks of a tennis player is consistency. Bringing some game to every match. Learning from each and every match whether it is a win or a defeat to fight and compete to the very last point. This sort of competitiveness has been missing in American tennis for many years.

The original premise for this thread started by tennis_chiro should not be lost in the shuffle. Serving motions and tactics have long been a staple in the American tennis game. For any hopes of a resurgence we will most likely have to see a return of these attributes. Probably too much to hope for…at least in my lifetime.
                            don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7836 users online. 6 members and 7830 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X