2015 ABN AMRO WTT…ATP 500…Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 ABN AMRO WTT…ATP 500…Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Here's a pretty good tournament in the making. A pretty good cast of characters including the top four seeds Andy Murray, Milos Raonic, Tomas Berdych and Stan Wawrinka. Let's not forget the fifth seed Grigor Dimitrov who already has had a narrow escape in the first round. Plus there is "The Incredible Mr. Ripley" Dominic Thiem who has already taken out the sixth seed who coincidentally is his good buddy Ernests Gulbis. Thiem has really not made good on some early expectations of him.

Here's the draw…what a story a draw sheet should tell…let's see how this thing develops…

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

Some possible topics of conversation…the liabilities or possibilities of having a lesbian woman for a tennis coach. The Stan Wawrinka, Dominic Thiem and Grigor Dimitrov backhands and how the one handed backhand is a disappearing act on the professional tennis landscape. Some good bit players…Simone Bolelli, Simon Gilles, Gael Monfils…seven French Musketeers in all. Lack of serve and volley and all-court tennis should be fair game here at this tournament as well. It looks like a fairly slow "soulless hard court".
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Always enjoy this tournament in Rotterdam every year. Rotterdam, Europe's largest port as well. As the Dutch say, You make your money in Rotterdam, spend it in Amsterdam, Talk about it in the Hague.

Richard Krajicek is the tourney director. Always does a great job and this year he pulled in some big names and the draw is loaded.

No mystery in saying who I will be rooting for. He is the defending champion after all.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Rotterdam, Netherlands…ATP 500

It's a good field. I watched a bit of Grigor Dimitrov and Gilles Muller. I am starting to wonder about Grigor. I wonder if he is more of a "Kid Gallivant" or if he has the workhorse stallion inside of him to make it to the top of the mountain. I suspect that he is too much of a player off of the court and likes the role of Bulgarian playboy. Nothing wrong with that…being rich and handsome. But when you are playing in the big pond…there are a lot of bigger fish and more than likely some smaller fish that he is not taking seriously enough. At least not as seriously as they are taking him. It's a huge win for Gilles Muller and a big confidence boost for him to go along with some good results recently. He took out David Goffin, in a tough three setter, who doesn't go away easily to anyone lately. His next may just be Stan Wawrinka but there is no guarantee on this one either.

Wawrinka is a bit of an enigma. Yes he possesses arguably one of the most beautiful and at the same time lethal strokes in the game but still he struggles with much "inferior" opponents. The opponent yesterday, Jesse Huta Galung was only ranked #248 yet Stan went the distance with him. We will get a more accurate portrayal of his current form when his next is Guillermo Garcia-Lopez. He is 5-3 head to head with Garcia-Lopez who is currently ranked #27 compared to Wawrinka's #9.

Right now there are a couple of Frenchmen, Gilles Simon and Jeremy Chardy on the court doing a bit of "swordplay" as Psychology Today referred to it some 30 or 40 years ago. As it is they are only duelling from the backcourt as it desends into snoozefestville. It's pretty boring. Nobody goes to the net unless they are given an invitation that they cannot refuse…like to chase down a dropshot. The commentate opines that Simon seems so comfortable out there (on the baseline) and Chardy should do something to change things up a bit. Oh really?

I saw on some highlight video that Dominic Thiem double-faulted on match point in his loss to Sergiy Stakhovsky. This is a bad sign regarding the service game. A cardinal sin in competitive tennis. I heard Andy Murray say in an interview that the match he won had been contested as a battle of service returns. More evidence that supports the lamentation of tennis_chiro that the service game is not the highest priority these days…even in the professional ranks.

Does anyone think that the Tomas Berdych versus Andreas Seppi match will be of interest? I mean other than the obvious. The one change that I have seen in Tomas Berdych that I like is that apparently he has lost the baseball cap. This is a great move…the baseball cap to me doesn't have a legitimate place in a tennis players wardrobe. I think Jim Courier is one of the first that I can remember seeing wearing it. The bandanna is of course a different matter. It has more of a swashbuckler swagger to it.
      Last edited by don_budge; 02-12-2015, 02:56 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge

Comment

Berdych had a humdinger of a first set vs. Seppi. 6-0. 2nd set he played one loose game and lost 3-6. But then he picked it right back up in the 3rd set to take out the Italian 6-3. Berdych moving better, playing smarter and with purpose. Defending champ has 500 points to defend this week, He'll get it done.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

The Quarter Finals…Rotterdam, The Netherlands 2015

Toman Berdych vs. Gael Monfils…Talk about contrasting personalities and playing style…although in the end it will be pretty much the same. The flamboyant Monfils against the more stoic Berdych. The improvisation versus the robotic. But in the end…ninety percent of the play will be predictably from the backcourt. Just how much improvisation can you do when camped out on the baseline? Berdych owns Monfils 3-1 head to head, but the last meeting went to Monfils at the 2013 French Open. A five set marathon with three tie-breakers. Monfils tactics will to bring the Berdych game down to his level of play. Drag things on a bit…wear on his nerves maybe. Try to get under his skin and into his head. Monfils is really good at this with out being outwardly a bad guy. He is just a natural "hot dog" who enjoys the spectacle…maybe even more than he hates to lose.

Andy Murray vs. Gilles Simon…Murray a bit too strong for the more fragile Frenchman.

Stan Wawrinka vs. Gilles Muller…The most interesting match of the day. Gilles is feeling more and more confidence. Confidence being such a huge factor in an activity that is so mental. Plus there is the spectacle of the Stan Wawrinka backhand being pounded into the Gilles Muller forehand. Muller brings his own definition to the game with some big serving and short backswing…particularly off of the forehand side. His ability to come down the line with that forehand is going to be a big factor in the outcome of this match much as the ability of Wawrinka to go down the line with his backhand. See what I mean? Interesting. Tactically speaking.

Sergiy Stakhovsky vs. Milos Raonic…Slice and dice Ukrainian versus the lumbering Canadian. Should be of particular interest to one forum contributor. An interesting match up as well although it would seem that the big serve of Raonic may be too much for the surgical skills of Stakhovsky. Stackhovsky's backhand may be too much of a liability as well.
          Last edited by don_budge; 02-13-2015, 01:50 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge

Comment

Tomas Berdych vs. Gael Monfils…Disciplined vs. Undisciplined

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            Toman Berdych vs. Gael Monfils…Talk about contrasting personalities and playing style…although in the end it will be pretty much the same. The flamboyant Monfils against the more stoic Berdych. The improvisation versus the robotic. But in the end…ninety percent of the play will be predictably from the backcourt. Just how much improvisation can you do when camped out on the baseline? Berdych owns Monfils 3-1 head to head, but the last meeting went to Monfils at the 2013 French Open. A five set marathon with three tie-breakers. Monfils tactics will to bring the Berdych game down to his level of play. Drag things on a bit…wear on his nerves maybe. Try to get under his skin and into his head. Monfils is really good at this with out being outwardly a bad guy. He is just a natural "hot dog" who enjoys the spectacle…maybe even more than he hates to lose.
            It's an interesting contrast. Almost boils down to disciplined versus the undisciplined. Disciplined seems to be winning out…and rightly so thinking conventional wisdom tennis-wise.

The Berdych forehand is looking pretty darned solid these days. Whenever Berdych has the time to get into position with a classic stance and really pulls into the ball with his feet and hips. Monfils on the other hand does not seem to be so disciplined with his footwork and while his flair for the game is undeniable…you can question his discipline.

It's difficult to play against an "undisciplined" player such as Monfils. He starts to roll with his unconventional shot-making and it might just make his opponent to second guess his disciplined approach to the game. This can cause the situational hesitancy in the opponent and gives the free wheeling Monfils the advantage. The key for Berdych is to stick with his tough mentality and keep persevering and not get distracted. Like I said…this is an interesting match-up and it looks to be going Berdych's way today. Berdych to serve for the match.

Question…at what age do you start to teach discipline to a child or to a tennis player or to a child tennis player? Answer…asap.
            don_budge

Comment

Andy Murray vs. Gilles Simon...

These two have played 14 times. Gilles Simon won the initial encounter in 2007 and has lost 13 times in a row. 14's a charm? The last two matches Simon has won the first two sets…before Murray took the bull by the horns. Andy's strength tactics versus Gilles speed and guile. Advantage Murray…but not conclusive.

As evidenced by the first set to Simon 6-4 and up a break in the second.
              Last edited by don_budge; 02-13-2015, 06:30 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
              don_budge

Comment

It's an interesting contrast. Almost boils down to disciplined versus the undisciplined. Disciplined seems to be winning out…and rightly so thinking conventional wisdom tennis-wise.

The Berdych forehand is looking pretty darned solid these days. Whenever Berdych has the time to get into position with a classic stance and really pulls into the ball with his feet and hips. Monfils on the other hand does not seem to be so disciplined with his footwork and while his flair for the game is undeniable…you can question his discipline.

It's difficult to play against an "undisciplined" player such as Monfils. He starts to roll with his unconventional shot-making and it might just make his opponent to second guess his disciplined approach to the game. This can cause the situational hesitancy in the opponent and gives the free wheeling Monfils the advantage. The key for Berdych is to stick with his tough mentality and keep persevering and not get distracted. Like I said…this is an interesting match-up and it looks to be going Berdych's way today. Berdych to serve for the match.

Question…at what age do you start to teach discipline to a child or to a tennis player or to a child tennis player? Answer…asap.

No problem for defending champ Berdych. 6-1, 6-4 clinic vs. Monfils. Berdych playing T-ball today against a listless Monfils. Monfils is a tough player to play, if in fact, you don't know how to play or lack discipline yourself.

Discipline, you better believe it. Start teaching discipline from an early age, obviously, you always want to try to keep things fun, and the younger they are the more fun it needs to be. But with that said, it's having fun while still making sure they have a goal to work on and that goal must absolutely get accomplished. Failure is not an option.

"Ok, Susie we are going to now play with this big squishy ball that you like. You've played well in your lesson so far but here is a big test, You are 5 years old and I know that many of your friends have done this same exercise and they have all done really really well. In fact, some of them have had a nine ball rally with me. Our job today is to get to 10. 10 balls back and forth over the net with that same swing we learned today. You are going to need to focus here but we are playing with your favorite squishy ball so I know you'll really like this. Ready? go!"

Often times, kids are capable of so much more than adults. Fact is, kids like to compete, adults like to compare. Discipline starts in the beginning and slowly gets ingrained as you emphasize the importance of goals and tasks and projects the student will do for you over the course of lessons both on court and off court. Good to give them some tennis homework and see if they complete it.
                Discipline also a cultural thing perhaps. Czech players have always been a bit robotic and disciplined in their games. Not too much flair. Lendl, Korda, Jiri Novak not too flamboyant in their styles. Monfils, Leconte, Pioline etc with immense flair and showmanship. It's how they were taught but also the values that grew up with. Ask me to hit a ball 200 times in a row the same way and I will do it as a challenge and personal goal. Some players will hit 199 balls the same way but just can't help themselves on the 200th and give it some extra zing or pop or spin or special nuance because they just can't help themselves. A mix of ADHD and general need to cure the monotony.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Berdych vs. Wawrinka in finals of Rotterdam. Should be interesting. Berdych in the best form I've seen from him in a while. Thumped Gilles Simon. Losing only three games in the process. He credits his game plan and following it from the first ball. Discipline.

In the history of the Rotterdam tournament, only 4 men have ever successfully defended the title. They are Robin Soderling, Nicolas Escude, Stefan Edberg and Arthur Ashe. Berdych will add his name to that short list if he can take out Wawrinka.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Tomas Berdych vs. Stanislas Wawrinka…mental gymnastics

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    Berdych vs. Wawrinka in finals of Rotterdam. Should be interesting. Berdych in the best form I've seen from him in a while. Thumped Gilles Simon. Losing only three games in the process. He credits his game plan and following it from the first ball. Discipline.

In the history of the Rotterdam tournament, only 4 men have ever successfully defended the title. They are Robin Soderling, Nicolas Escude, Stefan Edberg and Arthur Ashe. Berdych will add his name to that short list if he can take out Wawrinka.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    Tomas Berdych currently ranked #7 in the world to Stanislas Wawrinka currently ranked #8. Conversely, Wawrinka has won nine of the last ten meetings between the two. How much does that fun fact matter in the outcome of this match? Answer…not at all.

In the finals of any ATP 500 event very little can be made of ranking or past results. Certainly one can draw their own conclusions but the fact of the matter is that you have two competitors who have survived the week and want the first place trophy very much. More reliable speculation can be drawn from the performance of the past week and the physical and mental state of each competitor.

Judging from what I have seen of each player and combining that with the results of the tournament so far it appears to me that Tomas Berdych might be a slight favorite in this final. He has been much more decisive in both his performance and in his results. His performances against both Gael Monfils and Gilles Simon were very impressive and very decisive. His only tentative moments were against Andreas Seppi but he was very conclusive in the final set. Tomas Berdych is in top form from all of the evidence.

Stan Wawrinka on the other hand has been struggling to find his form since the opening bell of the tournament. He struggled against the #248 ranked player in the world and he has been forced to go the distance, at least somewhat in all of his matches. He is definitely struggling. But on the other hand this is what make him very dangerous in this match. You see…one of the defining hallmarks of a championship tennis player is finding a way to win when they don't have their best stuff. Sort of like a major league baseball pitcher. They find a way to get the job done.

I'm going to go with Wawrinka on this one. Just so we have a bad cop…as juxtaposed to our very own good cop…klacr. This match potentially could be either a very good match or a blowout by Berdych. I don't see Wawrinka breezing through. Berdych has much too much to win. He is looking at those last 9 of 10 results head to head and thinks that it is high time to put this nonsense to rest. Plus he feels he has something to defend as he was the champion last year. Wawrinka on the other hand is looking to scrap by or to regain the form that he is capable of.

Interesting mental gymnastics being performed in the mental preparation for this match by both players.
                    don_budge

Comment

Mental Gymnastics…continued

Tomas Berdych currently ranked #7 in the world to Stanislas Wawrinka currently ranked #8. Conversely, Wawrinka has won nine of the last ten meetings between the two. How much does that fun fact matter in the outcome of this match? Answer…not at all.

In the finals of any ATP 500 event very little can be made of ranking or past results. Certainly one can draw their own conclusions but the fact of the matter is that you have two competitors who have survived the week and want the first place trophy very much. More reliable speculation can be drawn from the performance of the past week and the physical and mental state of each competitor.

Judging from what I have seen of each player and combining that with the results of the tournament so far it appears to me that Tomas Berdych might be a slight favorite in this final. He has been much more decisive in both his performance and in his results. His performances against both Gael Monfils and Gilles Simon were very impressive and very decisive. His only tentative moments were against Andreas Seppi but he was very conclusive in the final set. Tomas Berdych is in top form from all of the evidence.

Stan Wawrinka on the other hand has been struggling to find his form since the opening bell of the tournament. He struggled against the #248 ranked player in the world and he has been forced to go the distance, at least somewhat in all of his matches. He is definitely struggling. But on the other hand this is what make him very dangerous in this match. You see…one of the defining hallmarks of a championship tennis player is finding a way to win when they don't have their best stuff. Sort of like a major league baseball pitcher. They find a way to get the job done.

I'm going to go with Wawrinka on this one. Just so we have a bad cop…as juxtaposed to our very own good cop…klacr. This match potentially could be either a very good match or a blowout by Berdych. I don't see Wawrinka breezing through. Berdych has much too much to win. He is looking at those last 9 of 10 results head to head and thinks that it is high time to put this nonsense to rest. Plus he feels he has something to defend as he was the champion last year. Wawrinka on the other hand is looking to scrap by or to regain the form that he is capable of.

Interesting mental gymnastics being performed in the mental preparation for this match by both players.
                      Mental gymnastics. Just as I pictured it.

Tomas came out playing very aggressively while looking extremely sharp and Stan was struggling to find his form. Second set at 3-2, Berdych for some reason started some sort of beef with the umpire. Before he knew it…it was Wawrinka's set 6-3. On Berdych's first service game in the third set on game point Wawrinka blocks a forehand return of serve right into the net tape. It dribbles over. Break of serve for Wawrinka.

At 1-3 Berdych approaches the net and Wawrinka absolutely drills a powerful one hand backhand down the line that Berdych can only gape at. 4-1 for Wawrinka. Berdych breaks right back for 2-4.

It's a see-saw battle and it appears that Wawrinka may have the upper hand. That can change too. But this is where the head to head my just start to creep into Tomas' head.
                      don_budge

Comment

Let me spell it out

P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C

All Berdych had to do was stay focused and keep the momentum rolling. When in the lead, nothing should bother you. Yet, it did for my boy Berdych.

Berdych Results in 2015: 3 tournaments, 2 finals, 1 semi-final. Gotta get over that hump.

Credit to Stan. Sweet backhand

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

The difference in that match was: Wawrinka did not choke or start missing a bunch of easy shots. Bird needs a hypno therapist who can convince him he deserves to stay sharp and calm and deserves to win.

(Low monotone, and boring syntax): "Listen to the sound of my voice, listen to the sound of my voice, listen to the sound of my voice, listen to the sound of my voice, listen to the sound of my voice, listen to the sound of my voice, listen to the sound of my voice, listen to the sound of my voice, listen to the sound of my voice, listen to the sound of my voice, and you will begin to feel your eyes start to burn."

EVen the best one hander in the world will go to great lengths to run around it.
                          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 02-15-2015, 08:24 PM.

Comment

The determining factor in the match to me was that Stan just has much more margain on his shots, both backhand and forehand, that Berdych.

Comment

No choke.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7611 users online. 4 members and 7607 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X