Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback of a student

Hey All,

Recently purchased a sony fs700 to add high speed recording to the academy I run.

Check it out please give me some feedback.

Originally posted by bowt View Post
    Hey All,

Recently purchased a sony fs700 to add high speed recording to the academy I run.

I am not sure whether you want feedback about the camera or the kid. The camera is great. You just cannot go wrong these days. Most cameras give great results. My problem is using high speed under floodlights...just cannot find a camera that can do it.

Love the grass courts. They look in good condition and well maintained...wonderful.

The kid is certainly doing great and looks like a little pro already. How old is he? He looks like he's using the standard yellow ball, right?
    Stotty

Comment

hes 8 and using green balls.

thanks for the feedback hockey scout definately agree hes an athlete.

Comment

Rugby Balls and Grass Tennis Courts...

Originally posted by bowt View Post
        Hey All,

Very cool short snippet…the video. Thanks for sharing bowt. What is the name of your academy? What size racquet is he using…265 grams or 240 grams?

How nice is that…to start schooling a kid on grass courts. Is that real grass? He's precocious alright…he's flying into that ball. Which I don't necessarily like…and I understand that this is a matter of opinion.

But tennis is in the end a game of balance and control…isn't it? I certainly like the position from which he commences his forward swing…sideways to the net. I wonder…is it too early to start to think about transferring that weight into the front foot as when making contact with the ball?

Below another forum contributor has posted yet another 8 year old with the bug…the tennis bug. In a couple of his strokes he actually balances on the back toe for a moment after impact. I love to see this. It's never too early. But then again…everyone is different. Your boy obviously loves to play…you cannot teach that beyond a certain point. That is initially what catches a coaches eye…Bob Brett said as much. Another Aussie.

Originally posted by gokulms View Post
        Friends, the kid is working hard since last time i posted. kindly see if you see progression. may not be the same pace with which you all expect we incorporated some inputs from you all

any input is greatly appreciated

http://youtu.be/IlEHU_u06r8
        Here's a couple of drills by Bob Brett that I have been recommending to the forum with regard to development of footwork and weight transfer. I love the one where the student alternates hitting a volley and then backing up to hit a forehand moving forwards. It's what you call a real ball buster. In the video Bob has the boy hitting backhands.

Thanks for the peek. In the video at about the one minute mark there is a Australian football in the background sailing through the air and it almost collides with the image of the tennis ball. Their paths intersect...I thought that was pretty cool…maybe a sign. The path of the ball…the paths of the balls. One point in time and space…the illusion of the camera. Perception. Relativity. The coincidence of the angles. I don't know.

So I had more questions here than anything else bowt. What do you think about the developmental issues of footwork and weight transfer? For instance what are the down sides for a boy of this age to be leaping into the ball as opposed to swinging with more balance? These are fundamental questions…that should provoke some interesting answers.

I guessed he was 8 years old. I'm getting pretty good with this 10 and under stuff.

Last edited by don_budge; 02-13-2015, 03:37 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Footwork…footwork…footwork

The kids make some really good decisions with their feet. I like the little "cha cha cha" steps they make when they set up to the ball. Both players make a nice "plant" with the back foot. The sideways shuffle that they make going forwards to hitting the forehand is really classic. Also they get into a really nice semi-sitting position with the "ass back, head forwards" position that is a really nice athletic set-up position which engages all of the proper muscles to fire in sequence. All great stuff. Both guys. Both coaches.

With regard to the front foot and the weight shift…it looks better from the side. He actually does a bit of a "Welby Van Horn" shiftle with the back foot…again great stuff. I'm looking for just a bit more planting of the front foot as the "anchor" of the swing. The anchor being again from the Welby Van Horn vernacular.

If "preparation…preparation…preparation" is the mantra of a tennis player, then perhaps "footwork…footwork…footwork" is the foundation of that mantra.

The weight of this boy is moving in the right direction. But is it moving in the best sequence? For instance…when looking at him a bit more closely the hips and the shoulders seem be rotating at the same time. By planting that front foot down the hips go first and then the shoulders which has the effect of firing the swing in stages…which I believe is more efficient use of energy. More bang for the buck so to speak.

Again…thanks for posting. The camera and your angles are superb.

What do you guys think?
          Last edited by don_budge; 02-13-2015, 08:32 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9886 users online. 12 members and 9874 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X