1937 U. S. Open Final…Don Budge vs. Gottfried von Cramm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 U. S. Open Final…Don Budge vs. Gottfried von Cramm

Searching for results "budge vs von cramm youtube" I came up with this rather short but decent quality video clip. From Don Budge's historic Grand Slam run on the four majors...

Here's a decent article about the man after he passed away at the age of 84...

In 1938, Donald Budge, who has died aged 84 of a heart attack, became the first person to achieve the tennis grand slam - winning the United States, French, Australian and Wimbledon championships in the same year. It would be more than 25 years before another man, the Australian Rod Laver, equalled that feat, and in the 60-odd years since Budge's triumph, no other American male player has managed it.

From the article...

Asked what made a champion, he replied: "Discipline. You have to have discipline to go to bed early."

At what age do you start teaching a child discipline?
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Don Budge

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    Searching for results "budge vs von cramm youtube" I came up with this rather short but decent quality video clip. From Don Budge's historic Grand Slam run on the four majors...

Here's a decent article about the man after he passed away at the age of 84...

In 1938, Donald Budge, who has died aged 84 of a heart attack, became the first person to achieve the tennis grand slam - winning the United States, French, Australian and Wimbledon championships in the same year. It would be more than 25 years before another man, the Australian Rod Laver, equalled that feat, and in the 60-odd years since Budge's triumph, no other American male player has managed it.

From the article...

Asked what made a champion, he replied: "Discipline. You have to have discipline to go to bed early."

At what age do you start teaching a child discipline?

Good clips are rare, aren't they? Old film of any length and quality is hard to find, even for someone as high-achieving as Don Budge. These guys are lost forever in many ways. I would love to see good quality clips of Hoad and Sedgman but there are only a handful around.

I liked the article. Tennis was very chivalrous back then. Tilden's sense of fair play and sportsmanship remained stamped on the game for quite some time, right through Budge's era and beyond. It was a time when men were men...
    Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7637 users online. 0 members and 7637 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X