The "Body Fly" shot - a Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
    Good example, glad you agree. Hockeyscout and I have a bet. You're the judge. I win. He can't post for a month.
    Did you read the book Olajuwon wrote. I'd suggest it.
    Last edited by hockeyscout; 02-26-2015, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
      You want me to upload some more videos? What do you want to see? I'll post them, and then I will see if you can find better?
      Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      I think this is a good idea. I have posted many of my students' strokes "warts and all" in the past and received great help from others.

I would like to see the little one's complete range of strokes: forehand, backhand, serve, volleys and overhead. If it's not too much trouble I would like her to play around 4 games with a credible opponent...maybe against an older child if she is very strong for her age.

Let me know if you are willing to post clips on the forum. I know you will be putting a lot on the line by doing this but it would be great if you could.
      I still think this is a good idea. Load some videos and let's take a look....be great to see how she is getting on with all the training she's undergoing.
      Stotty

Comment

Group hug?

Comment

lol...

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
          Group hug?
          hahaha...
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

History?

[QUOTE=hockeyscout;32547 History will judge all of us.
            [/QUOTE]

History won't care at all…

Hammer to Fall…Queen

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              I have no clue what that song is about? Some say death, and others say it's about nuclear war, cold war and Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout
                The debate is sort of pointless. Who is right? Who knows and who cares. We all have valid ideas in our imaginations. In ten years someone will be winning (the right paradigm), and someone will be losing (and wrong paradigm). History will judge all of us.

This thread is great, I feel inspired strangely. I remember when I first met my daughter mama, she was so beautiful, man, and this song came on and she said, "Hey bud, what are you waiting for!"
                This thread has over 100 replies and 1000 views and counting. The words said and ideas expressed should not be deemed "pointless". If they are pointless then many great teachers and coaches that are generous enough to have spent alot of time and knowledge posting on here have been deemed pointless as well. And I know that can't be true.

Hopefully, we are all on here to become better at what we do. Whether it be as players, teachers or coaches. There is something we can take from each and every school of thought despite the dichotomy of the ideas. Fact is...no one person or coach has all the answers. I certainly don't claim to. But there are many coaches that do, and that's just as dangerous.

This discussion raises some important questions, but it also enlightens us on different styles, whether we agree or disagree is a moot point. There are always new wrinkles and new discoveries within the realm of basic fundamentals. Great players can create these. But great coaches recognize them. Keep up the passionate debate, but don't forget about what's the most important part of any teaching methodology, the student.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Last edited by klacr; 02-26-2015, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                  This thread has over 100 replies and 1000 views and counting. The words said and ideas expressed should not be deemed "pointless". If they are pointless then many great teachers and coaches that are generous enough to have spent alot of time and knowledge posting on here have been deemed pointless as well. And I know that can't be true. Hopefully, we are all on here to become better at what we do. Whether it be as players, teachers or coaches. There is something we can take from each and every school of thought despite the dichotomy of the ideas. Fact is...no one person or coach has all the answers. I certainly don't claim to. But there are many coaches that do, and that's just as dangerous. This discussion raises some important questions, but it also enlightens us on different styles, whether we agree or disagree is a moot point. There are always new wrinkles and new discoveries within the realm of basic fundamentals. Great players can create these. But great coaches recognize them. Keep up the passionate debate, but don't forget about what's the most important part of any teaching methodology, the student.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  Pointless in the sense that it is going around and around in circles, and realistically, no one is right, and no one is wrong. The jury is out, so to speak. History will judge every coach, player, parent and association.

This is a neat developmental model BTW:

Comment

Machiavelli…the little tennis coach

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    Fact is...no one person or coach has all the answers. I certainly don't claim to. But there are many coaches that do, and that's just as dangerous.

This discussion raises some important questions, but it also enlightens us on different styles, whether we agree or disagree is a moot point.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    The ever diplomatic klacr. That's a good thing…some might question my diplomacy. Does he subscribe to the Machiavellian school of thought in this regard? I ask myself another rhetorical question.

In my 2,509 posts…I wonder how many times I have used the words "agree" or "disagree". Or "right" or "wrong". Not many. The goal is never. Only in this am I dogmatic.

The ends do justify the means…particularly when it comes to coaching tennis. Every coach should seek to become two dimensional…at least.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 02-27-2015, 12:02 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
                      Somewhere in the world somebody is developing the next player who will win a grand slam, and judging by history it is likely someone who hasn't done it before and has a very different idea on how it should be done

Yes, it is actually a reality to a young child's mind, imagination and dreams.

Parents, mentors, coaches, brother, sister, aunt, uncle and community leader need to show unwavering faith! I am supporting it, funding it, believing in my child's dream, developing our own unique pathway based on the assets my young player shows and using every means available to make it happen at my disposal.

After all, if I was eight, I'd want my parents to step through every hoop and barrel to make it happen. We all need to support kids with the passion, and potential to do it. I was fortunate, my mother had sixteen brothers - sisters (all of whom were interested in athletics) and I grew up in a very close nit community, so, every teacher, miner and older kids stepped up to the plate and helped me. I ended up using more of what I learned in sport in business, however, thats how it works sometimes. I always tell my young one, its easy making ten million dollars, and its tougher making the grade as a world number one. If you put every ounce of energy into the game, and its your passion, greatness will happen, in one way, shape or form, and it may be different than you imagine, and it may be a new sphere your not seeing and envisioning today, however, don't worry, great things will happen if you really chase after what you love.

As a responsible parent you always need to evaluate others, and pick, choose. Ending up with a Barry Switzer can ruin a player, and a lot of moms, dads and families end up making very bad choices. So, yes, evaluate, and be skeptical, you need to be!

The Jordan's made every right move in the book, and they had a fantastic developmental team in place. Jordan did not fall out of the sky and all of a sudden be a great player. He worked for it, talked to the right people, competed against players who were over his head and had special psychological traits his mom put into him that made him the best, until Kobe came along and was an improved version 2.0

Jordan's vertical jump was 48, and he earned it through hard work. He did not magically fall out of bed, and perform like a world number one. That took a lot of deliberate work on his end. You're living in a dream world if you think Jordan just arrived on top out of nowhere. Same with Kobe, I'd estimate Kobe and Jordan logged more practice hours than any other pros ever to play the game.
                      Hs, you somehow completely missed my point about Jordan's hand size, which was certainly not coached. He would not have been the same player without those hands, which made him such a great rebounder for his size, and were an integral part off his offensive repeitore. If you are curious or interested at all, youtube Julius Erving or going way back, Connie Hawkins, both of whom would still be great players today, and also would not have been close to the players they were without those hands. You also missed my point about Olajuwon. The point was he could not have taken up tennis at 15 and become a professional player. He was a great athelete, all know this. You went off on some long winded tangent about his basketball career. I am familiar with it, but it is unrelated to my point.
                      Last edited by stroke; 02-27-2015, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        Hs, you somehow completely missed my point about Jordan's hand size, which was certainly not coached. He would not have been the same player without those hands, which made him such a great rebounder for his size, and were an integral part off his offensive repeitore. If you are curious or interested at all, youtube Julius Erving or going way back, Connie Hawkins, both of whom would still be great players today, and also would not have been close to the players they were without those hands. You also missed my point about Olajuwon. The point was he could not have taken up tennis at 15 and become a professional player. He was a great athelete, all know this. You went off on some long winded tangent about his basketball career. I am familiar with it, but it is unrelated to my point.
                        It's actually a phenomenal misunderstanding of the point.

Comment

• I'd like to see hockeyscout's girl make these guys eat crow, and she will: If: she works on sliver ground hitting to accurate spots, foot work speed at all costs: any incoming shot no matter how slow/fast ala Connors, work on Sampras serving with a lot of esr/isr to accurate spots/targets, work on transition body fly shots attacking into net, work on volleys galore: all types, power drive, high drive, low touch, low drive, drops etc, keeping them low and away at all times, develop the perfect equipment for her game, ie, use bhb7/dryeex whirl on a babalot 16 x 19 frame, siliconed, leaded to match her volley game, stamina, strategy, will, the ability to jam opponents with all types of shots not just power. Hey, if it was easy, Bouchard would have done it with Spendiano.

Comment

• As the crow flies...

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                            I'd like to see hockeyscout's girl make these guys eat crow, and she will: If: she works on sliver ground hitting to accurate spots, foot work speed at all costs: any incoming shot no matter how slow/fast ala Connors, work on Sampras serving with a lot of esr/isr to accurate spots/targets, work on transition body fly shots attacking into net, work on volleys galore: all types, power drive, high drive, low touch, low drive, drops etc, keeping them low and away at all times, develop the perfect equipment for her game, ie, use bhb7/dryeex whirl on a babalot 16 x 19 frame, siliconed, leaded to match her volley game, stamina, strategy, will, the ability to jam opponents with all types of shots not just power. Hey, if it was easy, Bouchard would have done it with Spendiano.
                            …and how is any of that going to make anybody here eat crow?
                            don_budge

Comment

• Another eight year old...

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                              …and how is any of that going to make anybody here eat crow?
                              …and crows.

don_budge

Comment

• Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                                I'd like to see hockeyscout's girl make these guys eat crow, and she will: If: she works on sliver ground hitting to accurate spots, foot work speed at all costs: any incoming shot no matter how slow/fast ala Connors, work on Sampras serving with a lot of esr/isr to accurate spots/targets, work on transition body fly shots attacking into net, work on volleys galore: all types, power drive, high drive, low touch, low drive, drops etc, keeping them low and away at all times, develop the perfect equipment for her game, ie, use bhb7/dryeex whirl on a babalot 16 x 19 frame, siliconed, leaded to match her volley game, stamina, strategy, will, the ability to jam opponents with all types of shots not just power. Hey, if it was easy, Bouchard would have done it with Spendiano.
                                This is bullshit, and you know it. Or maybe you don't. But here you go...There is not ONE PERSON ON THIS FORUM, who holds that little girl responsible for the actions of a father.

Please don't go down that path.
                                Last edited by 10splayer; 02-28-2015, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7859 users online. 7 members and 7852 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X