2015 Delray Beach Open…ATP 250…Delray Beach, Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Delray Beach Open…ATP 250…Delray Beach, Florida

This event resembles something out of the "minor leagues" of tennis. Only four seeds remain in the final eight. But two players that do remain are Steve Johnson and Donald Young. Americans.

Donald Young has repeatedly in the past six months or so put himself into position to do something. Something of significance. He has done this in a decidedly orderly manner and it has taken some time to accomplish. He has attained a certain level of consistency but he is striving for one of those "Breakthrough Moments" where he exceeds his own expectations…let alone those expectations of others. His is an internal battle and it is a grim one.

Young has taken out a couple of very good players in the first two rounds and he has taken them both out in straight sets. It's another good sign. Now he is faced with a higher echelon player and he has him squarely in his sights. Alexandr Dolgopolov has been struggling to find his form as of late but he seems to be on track to recover from some minor knee surgery that he had some months ago. Every match that Donald Young gets against these higher ranked player presents him with an opportunity. He has been on the verge of cashing in several times and here he has a wonderful chance to go deep into this "minor league" event if he can find the resolve within himself to capture the moment.

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

I'm here. This is my home event. The crowds have been sparse due to cold front we have. Was in mid 40's last night. 39 degrees where I am this morning. The level of tennis has been lackluster due to the conditions. Saw Tomic-Troicki last night and felt like it was death by 1000 paper cuts. Ball was not traveling anywhere close to top speeds. Every ball felt and sounded dead. I'll admit, I'm a big wimp when it comes cold weather. This week is brutal.

One of my staff pros played in doubles main draw with his partner from last year's event. Lost a heartbreaker 11-9 in the 3rd set tie-break. Back to reality for him. Teaching men's and ladies clinics this weekend.

Karlovic is my favorite to win. He has the biggest tangible weapon in the event. His serve. All other players are neutralized due to the cold weather, but the Karlovic serve still holds up. We shall see. Frost warning and wind chill advisory on the weather app this morning. Ball kids at this Delray Beach event are looking like Ernest Borgnine in Ice Station Zebra.

I should have played in this event. Not saying I would do well, but it would be entertaining.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Last edited by klacr; 02-20-2015, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Another "Donald Young" moment...

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls…the bell tolls for thee." As Ernest Hemingway said to Donald Young as he was preparing for his match with Bernard Tomic today. Bernard is currently ranked #46 in the world and he has been as high as #27 a couple of years ago. Bernard is only 22 years old even though it seems as if he has been around for a longer time. Like Donald…he has some miles on him and not all smooth sailing.

Donald Young is currently ranked #56 in the world and his highest ranking was #38. Like Bernard he reached this high point in his career a couple of years ago. Coincidentally…around the same time as Bernard. So these two have been traveling sort of parallel paths desperately in search of the same thing. They both want to perform at the highest level of their potential at consistent levels over time. Both of these guys think that they belong on the tour and both have experienced their share of set backs yet they continue to compete. Bernard has had his share of matches where he has not perhaps competed at the best of his ability and his character has been questioned because of that. Donald has also had people question his character as well so both of these guys definitely have something to prove. It could turn out to be a good match.

To tell the truth I have written more about Donald Young than I have watched him play. But tonight I think that I will have a peek at this match because of the clash of characters and the inner demons that both players are trying to put to rest. Both of these guys have been experiencing some moments lately that may just indicate that they are approaching a higher level of expectations of themselves. They are trying to move past their current thresholds.

This is a moment for both players as the winner will have secured a spot in the finals of a tournament on the pro tour. This is what they train for. It is why they exist. One might say it is sort of an existential moment for both of them. Let's just see what they are made of. This is another curious aspect of the sport of tennis. You are out there all alone between those mystical lines wearing your heart on your sleeve for all of the world to see. Somehow you must focus on the task at hand in spite of any nerves or any misgivings you might have. You just have to say to yourself…here goes nothing.
      don_budge

Comment

Watching the Tomic-Young match right now as I type this on my cell phone court side.

Cool conditions (high 60's) and strong winds gusting at 25mph making this a match a battle of futility. He who will miss less. Both players placing ball around the court not willing to give the other a free point. Highly passive.

Donald Young has had success coming to the net (imagine that) He needs to stick to that if he wants to win this. Young down a set but on serve in the 2nd. Young needs to improve his 2nd serve. Too passive and too many doubles. Cardinal Sin. Tomic trying to step in and attack on return, but Tomic not lighting world on fire either.

Tomic has the same intensity and interest level I've seen in beating heart cadavers. I'm not really sure if he wants to be there playing or just going through motions. His style is contradictory tennis...big man, pusher style, flat ball, listless. But very tough to play and figure out. He's unpredictably predictable or is that predictably unpredictable? He doesn't play or stick to preferred or common patterns. It's almost as if he is improvising on every point. He's not. But that's the vibe he sends out.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

A low grade imitation of "I want to be with the fishes", Mecir. Hey Miloslav, how are they biting? Another guy who could not beat Lendl.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
            Ball was not traveling anywhere close to top speeds. Every ball felt and sounded dead. I'll admit, I'm a big wimp when it comes cold weather. This week is brutal.
            Got, I know the feeling, what a miserable winter here. Cold, no heat, and 0 (zero) every day in our "indoor courts". We're using the same old dead balls we've used for a year and they ain't cooperating. Anyways, you gotta play, so, you go for it.

Comment

The Donald…For Whom the Bell Tolls

Watching the Tomic-Young match right now as I type this on my cell phone court side.

Cool conditions (high 60's) and strong winds gusting at 25mph making this a match a battle of futility. He who will miss less. Both players placing ball around the court not willing to give the other a free point. Highly passive.

Donald Young has had success coming to the net (imagine that) He needs to stick to that if he wants to win this. Young down a set but on serve in the 2nd. Young needs to improve his 2nd serve. Too passive and too many doubles. Cardinal Sin. Tomic trying to step in and attack on return, but Tomic not lighting world on fire either.

Tomic has the same intensity and interest level I've seen in beating heart cadavers. I'm not really sure if he wants to be there playing or just going through motions. His style is contradictory tennis...big man, pusher style, flat ball, listless. But very tough to play and figure out. He's unpredictably predictable or is that predictably unpredictable? He doesn't play or stick to preferred or common patterns. It's almost as if he is improvising on every point. He's not. But that's the vibe he sends out.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              I only watched a bit of the match. Interesting how they put that snazzy sports car on the court…it must be the prize to the winner. It must be a motivating factor.

I have been writing about Donald Young the last couple of months and chronicling his "eating his way up the food chain". Here is what he has to say about what he has experienced and learned.

“It’s tough to get to the finals; it’s not something you do every day,” said Young who is attempting to become the third first-time winner on the ATP World Tour this year. “There have been other things that I felt were holding me back. It wasn’t just my game, it was about the consistency, the mental part and putting together back-to-back matches. I’m happy I’m able to do that lately.

“All you can do is put yourself in these positions and hopefully you can walk through the door. I haven’t been here often… I’ve kind of been around and seen a bunch of people and talked to people who have won, and hopefully I can draw on some of that information and strength and we’ll see. Hopefully I can get my first one. I’m really excited to have the chance to compete for one.”

I couldn't have said it better myself…even though I practically have. Word for word. It's rather amazing…but it doesn't surprise me. Good luck to Donald in the final today! American tennis certainly could use a shot in the arm. When is the last time that an American has won a professional tournament anyways?
              don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                I only watched a bit of the match. Interesting how they put that snazzy sports car on the court…it must be the prize to the winner. It must be a motivating factor.

I have been writing about Donald Young the last couple of months and chronicling his "eating his way up the food chain". Here is what he has to say about what he has experienced and learned.

“It’s tough to get to the finals; it’s not something you do every day,” said Young who is attempting to become the third first-time winner on the ATP World Tour this year. “There have been other things that I felt were holding me back. It wasn’t just my game, it was about the consistency, the mental part and putting together back-to-back matches. I’m happy I’m able to do that lately.

“All you can do is put yourself in these positions and hopefully you can walk through the door. I haven’t been here often… I’ve kind of been around and seen a bunch of people and talked to people who have won, and hopefully I can draw on some of that information and strength and we’ll see. Hopefully I can get my first one. I’m really excited to have the chance to compete for one.”

I couldn't have said it better myself…even though I practically have. Word for word. It's rather amazing…but it doesn't surprise me. Good luck to Donald in the final today! American tennis certainly could use a shot in the arm. When is the last time that an American has won a professional tournament anyways?
                Actually, The Porsche is just their for show. The winner does not receive it. One of the main sponsors is a local porsche dealership. During matches as a promotion, they pick people out of stands and let them sit in the car to watch the match live on court. The Porsche dealership is also the official transportation for the tournament which means all players get to ride in one to and from the event, hotel, airport.

Donald Young vs. Ivo Karlovic. If Young is going to win his first ATP Title, he's going to have to get over (or through) a big mountain known as Karlovic. Aces will be inevitable but for Donald he must not get frustrated, stay aware of any small glimmer of opportunity and capitalize on it. I'll be on court today so will miss the finals most likely. I spent enough time down there in Delray Beach this week hanging around and talking to tennis fans, doing my duties for USPTA, and sitting courtside analyzing matches for my own amusement.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Another step in the Donald Young process...

Donald Young vs. Ivo Karlovic. If Young is going to win his first ATP Title, he's going to have to get over (or through) a big mountain known as Karlovic. Aces will be inevitable but for Donald he must not get frustrated, stay aware of any small glimmer of opportunity and capitalize on it. I'll be on court today so will miss the finals most likely. I spent enough time down there in Delray Beach this week hanging around and talking to tennis fans, doing my duties for USPTA, and sitting courtside analyzing matches for my own amusement.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  A big mountain? More like a tank firing hot lead. Ivo wins 6-3, 6-3. Donald got a bit frustrated…certainly understandable given the conditions. That serve of Karlovic's just comes out of the sky. It is huge and then when he comes to the net…he just blankets it. I thought that if Young had some opportunities he might try blasting right at Karlovic as he was having very little success trying to pass him.

Great week for Donald Young and certainly another step in his education as a tennis player. This stuff doesn't just happen to you by accident. It's a process and a very daunting one. But I wonder if Donald may have reached his potential here. I don't see a lot of unfulfilled potential. The tennis circuit is like no other professional sport. There are no teammates to assist you.
                  don_budge

Comment

Anybody whose mother is telling them how to serve, and whose mother is still pulling up his wet underwear in front of his buddies to humiliate him into doing what she wants him to do ala Chang, is never going to win an atp. Strange how he has gotten this far: 11 tournament finals is 11 too many for someone with no serve and no consistent weapons.

At least the ref did not give him 6 language abuse warnings when he kept saying, "Fuck your bullshit, man. Fuck your shit."
                    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 02-22-2015, 06:11 PM.

Comment

and the one hander...?

Little interesting fact through my research today...

6 of 9 ATP tournaments that have occurred in February have been won by players with one handed backhands.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

The last slam won by a one hander was Fed. Due to Sampras and Fed mac and Lendl, the one handers still have a winning percentage in slams if you go back about 23 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                          The last slam won by a one hander was Fed. Due to Sampras and Fed mac and Lendl, the one handers still have a winning percentage in slams if you go back about 23 yrs.
                          Wawrinka 2014 Australian Open?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Ok. Got me on that one, but that didn't register due to Rafa's injury.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                              Ok. Got me on that one, but that didn't register due to Rafa's injury.
                              Rafa's "Injury"

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8131 users online. 3 members and 8128 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X