Introduction to the System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction to the System

Let's discuss Bill Previdi's, "Introduction to the System"!

This article seems like a departure for Tennisplayer when it comes to featured articles. I am glad. I do play doubles the most and already I am very excited by a few ideas I am picking up. I think this type of teaching gives balance to the archive.

Comment

Exactly. I've known Matt Previdi for a while, so I was intrigued to get to know Bill and decided that his system, the more I got into it, was worth a series.

I am sure there is some good information (or not) somewhere in all that Bryan Bros internet lesson hype...someone tell me if it applies well at the club level.
      In any case I think Bill's system does directly and I will be interested to see what our subscribers have to say.

I know it's not another microscopic dissection of the forehand--but don't worry there will be a lot more of that to come as well...

Comment

Not a bad idea devising a system for club players...like it.

Just last week I had to address a group of young coaches on doubles play and how to teach it. One of the questions I posed to them was who takes the ball down the middle. They either said whoever's forehand it is...or players should decide between them before the match starts. Not one of them knew that it was the responsibility of the player who had played the previous shot.

The art of doubles is becoming lost over this side of the pond.

But I liked the doubles article. The videos back it up nicely too. Is Bill going to come on the forum to take questions?
        Stotty

Comment

stotty,

It's not just your side of the pond the doubles art form is getting lost.

Fighting an uphill battle.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Questions about the systwm

I am here and ready to answer any and all questions about the system you might have. Ask away.

Comment

Originally posted by rossvalleyfilming View Post
              I am here and ready to answer any and all questions about the system you might have. Ask away.
              I think you have developed a nice system for club players and league players to use. I am just wondering the level of player this is mostly aimed at? I imagine you have to be a good league player to carry some of this out (I am a Brit so not familiar with your ranking/rating system)?

I ran a drill this afternoon to put some of this into practice with my students. I had to adjust the helper's role to closer to the net as his volleys were often intercepted with him being stuck volleying so far back (decent standard players in the drill). Tomorrow I will try it out with some general club players to see how it pans out with them. The ideas seem fine and very tailorable...

I teach doubles all the time. It's all doubles in UK clubs. It's what they like best. It's nice to offer students a new approach. Thank you so much.

I am looking forward to your series of articles.
              Last edited by stotty; 03-12-2015, 03:16 PM.
              Stotty

Comment

Details of The System

In answer to your question, my system is aimed at players from 2.5 level to 4.5 level. I play 5.0 tennis and sectional and national tournaments and my partner and I use it as well but as a teaching tool I find it very effective with USTA league players of all levels as well as high school players. It's great for players to be interchangeable so that whoever you play with, you understand "the plays" and can easily adapt to any partner. I also find that if you teach players a systematic way to play early on, they become comfortable with it easier than people who have played for many years with few or no parameters.
                I literally have hundreds of drills for teaching positioning and shot selection as well as many games to play to make everything second nature. Some of these will be in future articles here at tennis player but I have many more that I can share as well.
                Also, remember that the key element for the Helper is that they can never be in a position to be beaten by a crosscourt lob. Thus, their positioning is determined in large part by the position of the crosscourt opponent. They will be at or slightly behind the service line when the crosscourt opponent is at or around the baseline. If that player gets closer, the Helper will also get closer ( as will the Hunter since the lob is less of a factor in this situation). Let me know if that answers your question. If you have other questions I'm here to help.

Comment

I'd never thought about the concept of hitting short wide and low. I guess depth was the idea I had always been told. Therefore I tried hitting some angles with slice kind of shorter with my backhand. In a few cases it produced high easy volleys. I think this is a really valid and new idea at least to me. Thank you Previdi's. Bill that is your son Matt I assume?

Comment

possible flaw in the system??(for one particular scenario)

if i understand your positioning correctly
                    the cross court player (helper)is deeper in the service box than his partner (hunter)
                    in the last video you show in your introduction article
                    the server has hit a short angled volley
                    and stayed deeper in the service box than his partner
                    it worked out in your video because the opponent tried to lob the net player closest to him couldnt get it high enough and the hunter put it away
                    HOWEVER
                    i was taught on a low wide ball
                    angle = angle and i would have hit a short angle reply
                    and your helper would have been out position for it
                    the way i was taught positioning in that scenario is
                    the helper (cross court player)would follow his ball and close the net to take the angle away
                    and his partner would go deeper in the service box to cover the lob
                    your thoughts???
                    by the way
                    great article and i agree with most everything....
                    looking forward to your advice on conquering the dreaded lobbers

Comment

Clarification

IIII
                      Let me see if I can clarify without the benefit of the video. For some reason I can't see it on my iPad. In our system, the Helper always keeps the net strap between himself and the crosscourt opponent. As the opponent gets closet to the net, thenHelper does as well since the lob becomes less of a factor. If you keep the net strap between you and the ball ( opponent) you won't get burned on an angle. If you hit the ball short and low in front of the Hunter, they can get "nose to the net" and cut off anything that gets popped up while you cover the angle. Again, I cant see the video but I'll take a look later on the computer. Maybe Matt just messed it up ,LOL.
                      Also, to he person who thought Matt Previdi was my son, I'm deeply offended. He's my older brother (also LOL)!
                      Thanks for the great question. I hope this helped. There's so much more in future articles and I'm now working on a section on all the skills and drills you need to teach The Previdi System.

Comment

This forum is adding an element to doubles and doubles coaching that is desperately needed in the country - discussion! I can speak with any of my students about Rafa's style of play compared to Roger's, and why Murray prefers to serve to the "T" at times in a match while David Ferrer likes to run around his backhand. As soon as I turn things to Ivan Dodig and Julien Bennetau their faces go blank and they parrot outdated phrases like "middle balls get played by the forehand" and "protect your alley".

If doubles (and I argue tennis in general) is going to grow, we need to find a way to popularize the masses with new styles, improved methods, and systematic approaches to playing. This system, as you will see in the articles already posted as well as yet to come, creates an environment where players can begin to analyze why things happen around them and to them on the doubles court.

Very excited to be working with John and my Father and looking forward to some fun discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by BillPrevidi View Post
                          IIII
                          Let me see if I can clarify without the benefit of the video. For some reason I can't see it on my iPad. In our system, the Helper always keeps the net strap between himself and the crosscourt opponent. As the opponent gets closet to the net, thenHelper does as well since the lob becomes less of a factor. If you keep the net strap between you and the ball ( opponent) you won't get burned on an angle. If you hit the ball short and low in front of the Hunter, they can get "nose to the net" and cut off anything that gets popped up while you cover the angle. Again, I cant see the video but I'll take a look later on the computer. Maybe Matt just messed it up ,LOL.
                          Also, to he person who thought Matt Previdi was my son, I'm deeply offended. He's my older brother (also LOL)!
                          Thanks for the great question. I hope this helped. There's so much more in future articles and I'm now working on a section on all the skills and drills you need to teach The Previdi System.
                          thanks for the reply
                          let me know your thoughts after you view the video
                          the hunter could have easily been lobbed and the helper left his angle wide open
                          as i see it
                          i could be wrong
                          p.s.
                          bill
                          my name is larry landsman
                          its ok to call me larry
                          my user name is lower case LLLL not 1111 or IIII
                          many people make that mistake
                          Last edited by llll; 03-16-2015, 08:28 AM.

Comment

To Larry

Larry,'
                            After viewing the video i would say that I was reading the player's racket which is why right before he hit the lob i took a step back rather than taking the net strap.
                            Also, I think it is very difficult to lob the net man on a short angled ball. If the net man backs up the ball can be dropped in front of him and he will be forced to hit up. Obviously my angle volley was not the best ( I probably should have hit it deeper in front of Matt instead of being premature) but it got our opponent on the run, Matt put pressure on in directly in front of the player and I was reading the angle and the lob. He would have been hard pressed to beat us either way. A little more patience by me would have been a better play but we did get two players who were playing back into a scrambling mode and we won the point.

Comment

Originally posted by rossvalleyfilming View Post
                              Larry,'
                              After viewing the video i would say that I was reading the player's racket which is why right before he hit the lob i took a step back rather than taking the net strap.
                              Also, I think it is very difficult to lob the net man on a short angled ball. If the net man backs up the ball can be dropped in front of him and he will be forced to hit up. Obviously my angle volley was not the best ( I probably should have hit it deeper in front of Matt instead of being premature) but it got our opponent on the run, Matt put pressure on in directly in front of the player and I was reading the angle and the lob. He would have been hard pressed to beat us either way. A little more patience by me would have been a better play but we did get two players who were playing back into a scrambling mode and we won the point.
                              not trying to be difficult but the opponent running to the angled ball to me really has 3 reasonable options
                              short angle/middle/lob
                              to hit a ball in front of the net player under those circumstances
                              to me is an unwise 4th option
                              it would take great touch and he would be trying to hit over the highest part of the net
                              as my coach would say "the wall of china"
                              to me the toughest of his choices
                              i cant argue your correct anticipation in reading his raquet and making the right move
                              my prior comments were more as a generality and i think we are on the same page with that
                              yes?
                              the concepts you are presenting i think are terriffic
                              and nice to know its how ive been taught for double positioning and play
                              you are the pro
                              im a 4.0 who has only been playing 12 years (im 61) so all my comments are with the ultimate respect to you
                              obviously you have more experience and knowledge than me
                              cant wait to read your future articles.....
                              larry
                              Last edited by llll; 03-17-2015, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7415 users online. 3 members and 7412 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X