The Hunter and the Helper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eliminating a shot

Can you be more specific? Eliminate in what way? By rule, something I'd like to take out of my repertoire. I don't understand the question. Sorry

Comment

let's say we are looking to improve shot selection: in doubles what are the shots you seldom advocate hitting? Or yes, If you had to take one shot out of your repertoire what would it be? Or what shot do you think is hit too often? Is there a shot the creates a disadvantage more often than an advantage?

Does That make more sense?

Comment

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
        let's say we are looking to improve shot selection: in doubles what are the shots you seldom advocate hitting? Or yes, If you had to take one shot out of your repertoire what would it be? Or what shot do you think is hit too often? Is there a shot the creates a disadvantage more often than an advantage?

Does That make more sense?
        Sorry to butt in. I know Bill will answer you directly himself one he reads you.

There probably isn't one shot you would eliminate. All shots have there uses. Just don't play singles on a doubles court, that's all I ask.

Dinks are still handy in amateur doubles play, though much out of fashion in today's powerful pro game. The disgraced Bob Hewitt was incredibly good at dinks...so deft.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          Sorry to butt in. I know Bill will answer you directly himself one he reads you.

There probably isn't one shot you would eliminate. All shots have there uses. Just don't play singles on a doubles court, that's all I ask.

Dinks are still handy in amateur doubles play, though much out of fashion in today's powerful pro game. The disgraced Bob Hewitt was incredibly good at dinks...so deft.
          I totally agree! Of course if you are able to hit every shot in the game you should. Or should you? But a gun is being held to your head and you must eliminate one shot!

I think I would eliminate the swinging volley or the flat serve.

Comment

That is a very interesting and thought provoking question. I agree that the flat serve is overused and basically useless in doubles and the pkayers that use it the most tend to be the worst at it. They also tend to lose their serves all the time.
            I think there is a place for every shot if it's used appropriately and in the proper context. For instance, a crosscourt dipper is a great shot but I know a few players who try to hit it after they run back for a lob over their partners head!
            My partner and I are always amazed in tournaments (and more so in recreational tennis) how many unnecessary mistakes players make, how many shots players hit with no regard to setting up the point or the situation they're putting their partner in, and how many times shots are hit for ego purposes only.
            Teamwork, and the ability to work as one are the keys to any team sport and many times that is lost on tennis players, thus the poor shot selection. As my coach used to say" keep,hitting set ups and the point will take care of itself." He also said hit every shot like it's your next to last shot. That is a great one and I always remind myself of it when I'm getting too anxious to to great things. It's always the little things that count.

Comment

Bill and Matt,

I wanted to thank you guys for publishing your articles on tennis player. Your articles have had a huge impact on my doubles game. In fact, I won my doubles league last night using the principles you teach (I am a 4.5 and I beat out 5.0 competitors to claim the crown). The biggest change to my game was the way I hit my first volley to set up my partner versus setting myself up.

Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you!

That's awesome! I'm glad we could help. We're currently out in LaJolla teaching a bunch of clinics and seminars as well as playing in the USTA National Father -Son Hard courts.
                I've been all over the past few months teaching doubles in a systematic way and the response has been amazing. Everyone wants to know why they've never heard this before. Thanks again for the feedback and good luck!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3243 users online. 1 members and 3242 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X