"The Federer Mistake"…Federer BH vs. Wawrinka BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Federer Mistake...

Here's the mistake. Can you spot it? I'll be back in a couple of hours to solve the mystery of the "Federer Mistake"…among other things. Stay tuned.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

One of the most evident things of the Rafa v Roger Wimbledon final of 2008 is how flat Roget hit his backhand. I was sitting just 10 rows back for the whole of those five sets. His grip is one of the most conservative out there. He hit just a modicum of topspin on most of his backhand and some were dead flat.

I saw Roger play 3 or 4 years ago and little had changed since 2008. He has wonderful ball control and is quite happy to hit a fairly flat backhands.

On hard courts over in Miami and Indian Wells he may play his backhand differently, but over here on the grass, minimal spin seems to be the order of the day.
      Stotty

Comment

The Federer Backhand…over Wawrinka's

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...anceFront3.mov

Here's the mistake. Can you spot it? I'll be back in a couple of hours to solve the mystery of the "Federer Mistake"…among other things. Stay tuned.
        Yesterday's semi-final in Rome was a classic example why the Federer backhand is obviously superior in the long run compared to Wawrinka's. Wawrinka came out with all guns blazing and was tagging Federer with some serious body shots, but Federer weathered the initial onslaught by parrying and thrusting with his own dagger of a backhand. The change of speed upset the one dimensional aspect of Wawrinka's "power".

What is power? Answer…control. What is control? Answer…among other things the three elements of control are speed, spin and placement. Most of the players today are playing a power game without any real concept of ultimate control in the classic sense. Roger Federer is the sole example that is the last remaining link to the historic game of tennis.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

The most obvious difference, in it's proof: last two meetings: Wawman 2, Butt pick kid 0. Took him awhile to figure out: stay patient until the kid hits short, and then hit a heavy attacking ball down the line or inside out to the fh or the bh and come into the net: as how he came back from 6-2 down, and a break down twice in the first set against butt pick boy. Fed can't attack with his bh against butt pick boy, and Wawman can.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7997 users online. 4 members and 7993 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X