How to Get Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Get Better

There is no better place than TennisPlayer for advice (and visuals) on how to hit the ball better or how to teach your students how to hit the ball better. Anyone who is not actively on the site (both articles and the Forum) is missing so much.

This thread asks a different question than how to hit the ball better. Namely, assuming a student has reasonably proficient technique, what are the best practice routines to accelerate improvement? I know some coaches with great track records in producing multiple highly ranked players (like Jack Sharpe out of Chicago and Jerry Baskin out the Atlanta area), are believers in a daily routines of basic drills like cross-courts and down the lines, etc. Don_Budge (Steve) has written on the forum about some of his favorite drills. I would be very interested in the views of the forum contributors as to how is the best way to practice, esp. for junior players. Instilling a routine in junior players is (in my view) very important, but what in your view is the best practice routine(s) for them to follow? I realize that the routines might vary depending upon age and level. If you want to throw in off the court work as well, so much the better. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Psychology. Praise/flattery. Learn to drive them. Teach them something immediately that makes the old shot way better: their weakest shot, such as, the retreating, high back hand over head. Encourage joy and recognize it as it occurs and learn how to praise/repeat it.

Find a good coach and a mentor.
    Practice to slivers of the court.
    Practice as much on serve/return as other ground stroking shots.
    Practice coming from behind.
    Practice with pressure: a bet, money of some kind, or punishment/reward.
    Injury prevention: flex bar, isometric chi focus.
    Good practice partners.
    Match play.

Even keel training.
    Equipment mastery.
    Massage/injury/warm up training.
    Technical mastery.
    Diet/food mastery.
    Salt prevents cramps, ie.
    Nerves and mastering them.
    Notice what is blocking them and learn to clear it.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-24-2015, 07:05 AM.

Comment

10 point games…A long haul

Originally posted by EdWeiss View Post
      This thread asks a different question than how to hit the ball better. Namely, assuming a student has reasonably proficient technique, what are the best practice routines to accelerate improvement?
      I love the scoring system in tennis. It isn't over until the last point has been played. What a great question EdWeiss!

I love to practice playing 10 point games. Play a set up to six playing 10 point games. This teaches you to focus on the score. Even if you get behind…for instance 4-8…you can whittle away at your opponents lead and gain the upper hand. You can claw your way back into a game. This is a tremendously important aspect of match play. Playing from behind takes a lot of mental resolve. A certain tempered desperation.

It is also tremendously important to fortify your "lead". If you are ahead in the score at 8-4…you are always doubling down to get another point to boister your lead to 9-4. Keep the pedal to the metal when you are leading. Concentration cannot wane just because you have a big lead.

Getting to 10 points is a long haul. You practice extra hard in serving mode and in receiving mode. You practice playing one point at a time. Play 10 point games with one serve…a certain way to improve and gain confidence in the second serve. Also practices being more aggressive or more assertive in returning second serves.

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
      Practice as much on serve/return as other ground stroking shots.
      Last edited by don_budge; 03-19-2015, 01:02 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Ed, good questions. Is there ever a 100% right answer? Is there a wrong answer? All depends on the player's make-up and what gets them engaged.

Adding to don_budge's 10 point game format, I like to play another game that helps with understanding and building momentum. All my players, juniors, males, and ladies teams, no matter what level or how serious they are do this game and although some of their strokes may not be perfect for a multitude of reasons, I'm pleased to say that they all are pretty great competitors.

Tug-O-War

Both players start at 5. There is only one score, or number to keep track of. Player A is trying to go up to 10 points, their opponent, Player B is trying to get to 0. Each point the player wins they get closer to that goal. Example: If Player A wins the first two points in the game, He is at 7. Then player B wins 1 point and the score goes to 6. Player A wins 2 more points in a row and he is at 8. He's just two points away from winning the game. Then player B wins three points in a row and they are back at 5. Even. Right where they started, Player A gets frustrated as he was so close and now must start over to build back his lead.

This game can go on for a while and all players get into it. You see some serious swings in momentum but also emotion as players try to stay composed knowing they may have been close to winning only to get dragged back into a dogfight. The game ends when one player gets to 10 or the other gets to zero. It's an epic Tug-O-War battle. As player's progress, I'll add stipulations and scenarios to add some spice to the game and encourage players to attempt shots and formulate strategies to get into winning positions.
        Examples:
        If you miss the feed you lose two points.
        If first ball lands before service line you lose two points.
        If you hit a volley winner it's worth two points.
        If you hit a lob winner it's worth two points.
        If a rally lasts more than 10 shots, the winner of the rally gains two points.
        Sometimes, I'll add a bit more pressure and actually time the game with a stopwatch. I tell them they have 7 minutes. Players learn to control the tempo and strategize to their benefit. At the end of 7 minutes who ever is closest to their goal (10 or 0) wins. If the timer goes off and the score is still 5, I do a sudden death point where I have player's exchange racquets or I throw in a big orange pressureless junior ball.

It's good fun and players, sometimes without realizing it, are learning and growing as players and building toughness and habits that they can use in matches. Try it Ed. You'll see some great stuff and have some memorable teaching moments on court.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        Last edited by klacr; 03-19-2015, 05:22 AM.

Comment

what are some of your favourite drills don_budge?

Comment

bot to bowt

Wait a second, bowt. React to what's been said by everybody first. It is unbelievably good stuff!

Comment

Play 75

To me it depends on what your goal is. For instance, I am working on improving my transition game.

So I play a game where both players start at the baseline with a fair feed and play first to 75. But here is the twist:
              - 1 point for any error
              - 5 points for any clean winner
              - 10 points for a volley clean winner
              - 25 points for a overhead clean winner
              - 50 points for a lob clean winner (only because the lob is the best shot in tennis)

I like 75 because it gives me incentives to play out of my comfort zone, hustle, and press my opponent.

Comment

I like using a video camera for training sessions and match play. Gives you a lot of information to analyse, technical in respect to strokes, and tactical play.

Comment

Give small rewards for good behavior, reaching goals set, such as a trophy, a can of balls marked: for the future #1 player, etc. along with sincere and genuine compliments that they will remember for all time. Make it a social and fun thing to do, not just all discipline and all work. A coach's eye is better than any video camera.

There is no greater motivation than genuine recognition and appreciation, for any relationship. It's not happy wife, happy life. It's happy anyone: when you let them know, you appreciate, recognize, love, like, know who and what they are is good and is on the right path. It's like chocolate and hot tea together, it melts in your mouth: Earl Gray/cacao. WE are all dying for someone to let us know. Try it.
                  Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-19-2015, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Matchplay drills...and catch Pancho.

With my better juniors I do lots of matchplay...with a difference.

1. Players play a entire set starting each game from 30 all.

2. Players play an entire set with the server starting the game from 30-40 down.

3. Players play out a set from 4 games all.

4. Players play tie-breaaks from 3 points all.

4. A player starts a set from 3-0 up but must continue the set having only one serve per point. The opponent gets the standard two deliveries.

5 Players start a set from 4 games all...both players then only have one serve to the end of the set.

I tend to flit from drill to drill and have no favourites. I quickly develop a sense of what a squad of players like most. At the moment I am using the Bob Brett's backhand drill posted by don_budge. I find this incredibly good for footwork. I hadn't come across it before.

I do a lot of the Harry Hopman two on one drills. These are great for driving players into the ground...great for workaholic types.

With young development kids I do a neat drill. There are, say, eight players but only seven balls. I chuck the seven balls all over the courts. The kids have to run and get one ball and bring it back to me. One kid will come back empty handed and have to sit on the bench. The next throw will be six balls for seven kids, etc. The end drill is two players running after one ball.

The best drill of all is 12 kids trying to catch Pancho (my Boston Terrier) across four courts...they have five minutes to catch him. No one has ever caught Pancho to date but every child absolutely loves to try. Pancho has the best footwork in the club by a mile and loves the drill as much as the kids. I can catch him of course...all it takes is a biscuit.

Another thing I do in development squads is something called question time. I do this at the end of all lessons. I ask a general knowledge question and the first kids to answer gets 50p (just over half a dollar). They love that. The question I asked yesterday was "Where is Yellowstone"? Just one kid new the answer.
                    Stotty

Comment

Great feedback so far! Over the coming weekend I will be responding with some detailed questions/thoughts. Interesting that so many of the drills are point play oriented which makes good sense. Thanks so much for the feedback so far.

Comment

Seles used a ball machine to hit to slivers for 4 hours a day. The players who learn to hit to court slivers under pressure are the top.
                        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-20-2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I thank everyone for their responses. I will try to respond in separate emails.

Stotty brings up 2 on 1 drills. In my senior year in high school I trained at the Port Washington Tennis Academy and the famed Harry Hopman headed up the junior development program. John McEnroe (then a freshman in high school) was in the program at the time. The main staple of the clinics was 2 on 1 drills. There were 4 or five kids to a court and while 3 kids and the pro did the 2 on 1 drill, the other kid(s) picked up balls. I got to do 2 on 1s with Mr. Hopman on occasion. He was a master at placing the ball at just the right distance: if you completely hustled you would barely be able to the ball. I remember one time working with him and trying (as the 1) to blast the ball on each shot and his advice to me was that I would get much more out of the drill if I used all kinds of shots/variety when I was doing the drill.

I do not see 2 on 1 drills being used much these days. Do folks think there is much value to them? I personally like them.
                          Last edited by EdWeiss; 03-23-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EdWeiss View Post
                            Stotty brings up 2 on 1 drills. In my senior year in high school I trained atvthe Port Washington Tennis Academy and the famed Harry Hopman headed up the junior development program. John McEnroe (then a freshman in high school) was in the program at the time. The main staple,of the clinics was 2 on 1 drills. There were 4 or five kids to a court and while 3 kids and the pro did the 2 on 1 drill, the other kid(s) picked up balls. I got to don 2 on 1s with Mr. Hopman on occasion. He was a master at placing the ball at just the right distance: if you completely hustled you would barely be able to the ball. I remember one time working with him and trying (as the 1) to blast the ball on each shot and his advice to me was that I would get much more out of the drill if i used all kinds of shots/variety when I was doing the drill.

I do not see 2 on 1 drills being used much these days. Do folks think there is mučh value to them? Inpersonaalynlikevthem,
                            The two on one drills are rather dated now. I use them but then I grew up around the Lloyd brothers who used them all the time. Bob Brett would often put John Lloyd through his paces using two on one drills, and Bob Brett was a disciple of Harry Hopman who used them all the time. I use them because I have first hand experience of how they work. Many younger coaches have not even heard of them.

They just went out of fashion somewhat...
                            Stotty

Comment

Thanks Stotty. I did them yesterday with some of the kids and what was interesting is that the student who has been the subject of my "Project J" thread really did well with it. He is a really good athlete and I think those athletic skills come through in the 2 on 1 drills. Also interestingly, the kids really liked the drill and being burned into the ground in less than 2 minutes. The kids on the court could volley somewhat and were able to keep the ball going which is huge in making the 2 on 1 drills effective. Finally, I once heard Andre Agassi's Dad interviewed, and he really liked 2 on 1 drills because the "1" was made to work harder than he would against any opponent. Kind of like the way he used that ball machine in the court in his backyard where he would fire balls at Andre (and his siblings) at a rate that no opponent could.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3207 users online. 7 members and 3200 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X