14 Year Old Makes Emirates Atp Rankings History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 Year Old Makes Emirates Atp Rankings History

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

He will be fun to watch!

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post

Plays well, doesn't he? He's good off both flanks. I like the way he sometimes squeezes winners through narrow gaps...shades of Mecir. I may have to pop back and give that video a second look.
    Stotty

Comment

I like his movement. He really floats around the court. I tried to find some other players at the same age to compare him to. But, I think he could be tennis's next big player.

Comment

I like his movement. He really floats around the court. I tried to find some other players at the same age to compare him to. But, I think he could be tennis's next big player.
        There is a another kid around who is also outstanding for his age. A blond kid...short hair. If I can find him I'll post a link. It doesn't always mean that much as many outstanding juniors never cut it at senior level. Tim Henman wasn't much as a junior then all of a sudden he came out of nowhere and went on to be number 4 in the world. You just cannot tell...
        Stotty

Comment

I agree. On his way through qualifying he beat Chris Guccione a former world 67 with 2 ATP singles tiles and over $1 million in prize money. I think it one thing to have an outstanding career as a junior in juniors. But, to do well as a pro when your a kid is another.

He certainly has a huge mountain to climb.

Comment

He has a name…Felix Auger Aliassime

This is #1 in your play list…catchy tune. You almost pity the kid on the other side of the net.

Here's a little longer look at the qualifier in Drummondville. Here Felix has abbreviated his service motion somewhat. The two handed backhand is really phenomenal. I don't think I've ever seen anyone be so aggressive with it.

He reminds me of Aaron Krickstein when he was 14 years old. My best serves started to come back even faster than I hit them. It was the first time that I had the sensation that I could not see the ball because it was hit so hard. I think Mr. Wolmarans would know what I am talking about.

His movement is really unbelievable…catlike. Big catlike. Amazingly QUICK. He makes the comment that he is working on his transition game…does he mean he is coming to the net? It certainly looks like it. He is really maintaining pressure on his opponent.

He's in the main draw of the Slams in two years…maybe three.
            Last edited by don_budge; 03-25-2015, 11:01 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Great to watch

I took another look at Felix today. He really is good. I like the way he constructs points and is prepared to wait. He can defend and attack in the same breadth too; a vital quality for his future. His decision making is superb and, as don_budge says also, his backhand is weirdly good. The way he squeezes out backhand winners down the line given just a narrow gap is great to watch. It's hard to believe a 14 year old kid can play so maturely and make such good decisions. Are we sure he is 14?

He is super to watch....
              Stotty

Comment

Yes, he looks really good. Fits right into the Brian Gordon stroke models for both forehand and backhand, nice rhythm on the serve (although I might like to see the start of the toss a little less deliberate, but it is not a problem for him), really fast and moves with balance, fearless.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could see at least one major tournament played on a surface that fast? If not a Slam, then at least an ATP1000? That ball is moving through the court. Never see courts that quick in regular tour level events. And they can still return and rally, although I don't know if anyone could return a Janowicz or Isner or Karlovic serve on that surface.

Yeah, he is going to be a handful. I think he'll be in the Slams by next year.

don

Comment

He's still 14. Many things will happen and occur to this kid. I wish him luck. Will be exciting to see his progressive development.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

It's too fast...

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                    Wouldn't it be nice if we could see at least one major tournament played on a surface that fast? If not a Slam, then at least an ATP1000? That ball is moving through the court. Never see courts that quick in regular tour level events. And they can still return and rally, although I don't know if anyone could return a Janowicz or Isner or Karlovic serve on that surface.

don

To play meaningful tennis on a surface this fast "they" would have to reduce the size of the racquet head.

That's what I was thinking too when I first looked at this video. I said to myself…the game is too fast. Here is a 14 year old kid racing around playing at the speed of light.
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

He also has the same birthday as Roger Federer. August 8th.

Just sayin'

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                        He also has the same birthday as Roger Federer. August 8th.

Just sayin'

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton
                        Lacks Roger's natural power (or propensity for power) and that will be his achilles heel. I don't see him being dangerous in the serve department, which is a must if you want to be a true generational player.

Reminds me a lot of a 2015 version of Agassi with six more inches, and more speed.

Armageddon tennis is the future, and this is the first wave.

His footwork is NBA projectable, and you can see it on his backhand which sure looks like Jimmy Connors to me (better actually, its the best I have seen). He'll be very dangerous off that wing playing serve - volley, and transitioning to the net, so hopefully they let him hit the shot and work on transitioning to the net as it's deadly.

By the way, Felix is closer to NBA level than any tennis player I have ever seen.

BTW, here is a sample of what the new age class of 2018 kids look like for the NBA (and yes, they are all 7'0 or bigger.

Marvin Bagley

That's what we watch everyday, with all due respect to Felix, he is good, but Marvin is the epic standard and when a tennis player arrives on the scene like that it'll be a whole new ballgame for the sport. That's what the next Sampras or Federer will look, and move like, I see this Felix kid as kind of the new Agassi, however, someone will surpass him with an even bigger game I think.
                        Last edited by hockeyscout; 07-28-2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
                          Marvin Bagley

That's what we watch everyday, with all due respect to Felix, he is good, but Marvin is the epic standard and when a tennis player arrives on the scene like that it'll be a whole new ballgame for the sport. That's what the next Sampras or Federer will look, and move like! You can tell Marvin has put a hell of a lot of practice in, as he's just so refined.
                          Has Marvin played professional basketball?

Comment

Has Marvin played professional basketball?
                            NBA versus tennis?

No kid could play NBA, they'd get destroyed. No teenager in the history of planet earth could have EVER competed at the NBA at 14, 15, 16 or 17. Maybe don_budge can think of someone in baseball, but I can't? In boxing Tyson evolved at a young age, however, not until he was 19 or 20 he was a serious contender. In hockey, we've had some 17 years olds who could compete, Gretzky the greatest athlete to ever walk the face of the earth did well, and that was one in a billion.

So, both Felix and Marvist would get killed by the pros in the NBA.

With that said, I think Felix has the upside to be the first tennis player ever to have NBA level feet.

But, Marvist, he's the king.

In terms of 1999 - 2000 DOB athletics he's the golden standard.

A tennis player like Marvist will arrive on the scene, and when he does, it will be a whole new ball game (and it will happen).

Now, the issue is, no one is hitting you in tennis, so its possible to compete.

Still, if all the athletes in the world played tennis and it was the only game in town I doubt either of them, or any other 14, 15, 16, 17 year old would stand a rats ass chance of competing as the field would just be to big, strong, fast and mature.
                            Last edited by hockeyscout; 07-28-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3215 users online. 7 members and 3208 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X