Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting good depth on groundies?

Hi John,

I can't figure out why my shots frequently land inside my opponent's service line when I am trying to hit deeper.

My racquet path tends to be low to high with moderate topspin. One pro said I have a tendency to pull off the shot too quickly. I have been told to contact the ball further out in front and extend through the shot more. However, this seems to throw my timing and consistency off.

Another pro felt the peak of the arc of my shot was on my side of the court and suggested I imagine hitting with the net further away from me. This works somewhat but I don't seem to have a good "feel" for what I'm actually trying to accomplish biomechanically.

Your video clips are awesome but since they don't show where the ball is landing, I can't seem to get a visual image on what it is that actually helps to produce good depth. Any chance you could show me a video clip that explains how to hit good depth consistently?

Don't have that. Dave Hagler's article though on Exaggerated Learning has a great depth drill though.

My biggest suggestion is to send in some film to Your Strokes and we can see whether it's something technical in the swing patterns or more of just an adjustment.

Comment

Hi John,

Great suggestion. I really liked the article on exaggerated learning. I can't wait to get out there and experiment with the spin/trajectory/velocity matrix.
      My pro has videotaped me but I have yet to watch it - if I can, I'll send it in.

Thanks!

Comment

I like the visualization of "hitting through windows" to achieve depth and directional control. Imagine a 2' X 2' window over the net. In your mind's eye, raise that window 2,3 or 4' over the net and then effort to hit through it. Higher for more depth, lower when hitting a short angle or pass. Obviously the 'location' of the window will vary with the amount of pace, spin, direction and where you are contacting the ball but the visualization should help. It will take some trial and error to find the proper combinations of height, pace, spin and direction, but once mastered it will become more automatic.

Good luck.

Comment

Similar to the window idea, I remember reading about a drill in Tennis Magazine that Lansdorp did with Sharapova. If I remember correctly, he had an empty tennis ball can on a pole and the can, which is the target, was adjusted to a certain height over the net. I think the goal of the drill is to correlate height over the net with the type of shot.

Comment

The windows and the tennis can are the same basic premise. They're about clearance, directional accuracy and depth control. Generally you vary depth by adjusting the height of the type of shot you are hitting; offensive, defensive or neutral (rally ball). I would suggest identifying and standardizing your rally ball, baseline to baseline, which should be 70% to 80%-ish of your maximum controllable offensive groundstroke speed. Work x-court first maintaining speed and spin applied. Limit those variables, speed and spin, and vary only the height of the imaginary window or tennis can target at the net and hit that target. Find the repeatable clearance with your rally ball with which you can drop the ball consistently within 3' of the baseline. Say it's 3 feet. Hit consistently through that target 3' over the net just to the right of the net strap in a x-court exchange, at consistent rally speed, and the ball HAS TO land within 3' of the basline. Hit lower than your rally ball clearance and the ball WILL land short. Remember it's your rally ball and your rally clearance with which you will establish your rally depth. Everything else will be built off that standard. Short x-court=lower your target at the net. Hitting with added spin and/or less forward pace=having to raise the target at the net (window or can) higher in order to achieve the same depth. Hitting offensively, again lower the target to accomodate the greater pace. It's a drill but it may also be part of the visualization you wish to flash through your mind's eye prior "letting it go" when executing your groundies in match play.
            Last edited by FiveO; 11-04-2005, 08:27 AM.

Comment

A very good player once suggested to me that during the warm-up time before a match, I should try to hit all my baseline groundstrokes ON the opponents baseline. This way during the warm-up I get the the feeling of hitting the ball deep - not short. Don't worry if the balls are a bit long - it's just the warm-up. During the match, I just naturally tend to hit the balls deeper because that's what I'd practiced. It's worked for me - you might give it a try.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8699 users online. 6 members and 8693 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X