Doubles formation question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubles formation question...

The traditional formation when serving is for the partner up at the net, diagonally to the server. A variation was the Australian formation, with both players on the same side, used once in a while.

Today, you see lots of teams with one player crouched very low, exactly in the middle. Why was this never done earlier? (I prefer the traditional diagonal setup...)

Phil,

You are talking about the "I" formation

This formation is intended to make the returner guess which way the net player is going to move and become unsure of their decision, resulting in a less than stellar return that the net player can pick off. It is a great way to neutralize a returner if they keep beating you cross court and you need to change it up to see if they can hit it down the line.

Not sure when they started doing this but as returners have gotten better, the need to "mix it up" and keep returners at bay has become necessary and new formations evolve.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Phil,

This formation is intended to make the returner guess which way the net player is going to move and become unsure of their decision, resulting in a less than stellar return that the net player can pick off. It is a great way to neutralize a returner if they keep beating you cross court and you need to change it up to see if they can hit it down the line.

Not sure when they started doing this but as returners have gotten better, the need to "mix it up" and keep returners at bay has become necessary and new formations evolve.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Yes, but the traditional formation with hidden hand signals behind one's back to tell the server that when is staying or moving to the other side is just as effective...

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
        Phil,

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        It's been going donkeys years. Players used it against McEnroe and Flemming, for example. It was used occasionally and at selective times in those days. These days the tactic is overused. It's a tactic that can backfire if used too often.

I went to Wimbledon last year on the main doubles day when most of the first round matches are played. I witnessed 10 matches where all four players stayed back after delivering their first serve...on grass, imagine that. The standard of doubles play (by world-class standards) was woeful.
        Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7972 users online. 6 members and 7966 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X