Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Can't get the video to play.
      I've tried safari and Chrome.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      I couldn't get the small clip to play either. Switch to full screen. The controls then come in to view so you can just clip play. Worked for me.
      Stotty

Comment

Thanks Stotty.

Got it on chrome. Still waiting for Safari.

Good stuff that Rick talks about. USTA Player Development has an entire segment of their staff that works on Talent ID.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Warning! this is a rant... Sorry!

I don't buy what Macci is saying regarding tennis getting the sub-par athletes. I believe that he is making an excuse and I am horrified to hear that come from the mouth of one of the all time great coaches (I am saying this as a true admirer). How did American tennis get to this point?

Athletes are not found on trees and yes, there is a genetic element to athleticism just like there is one to intelligence, and diseases. But, isn't there a correlation between family history and wealth as an adult? Yet many of us understand that hard work, education, and social networks are important to being financially successful.

I think tennis coaches are either not prioritizing, ignoring, ignorant of, or don't believe that Strength, Speed, Quickness, and ability are equal parts genetics, environmental timing, learned skill, and hard work. Yes, we don't have control over genetics and to large extent the environment. But we can work more on teaching the skills of the game of tennis, the skills of strength, the skills of speed, and the values of working hard.

I understand that I may be 100% wrong and if you think am please tell me. But if in fact, athletic ability is fully genetic isn't better to approach the issue with the expectation that it is something that can be developed. Also, I may be misunderstanding what tennis coaches are valuing in their tennis programs.

Sorry for the rant but here is my suggestion to help correct for tennis's apparent lack of athleticism. Show me the stats! Are we as a community making a claim that athleticism has declined? Show me a test that over time has establishes this claim. Or is it something that people who are running academies and camps need to start tracking? Is there a correlation between how fast someone is at 7 years old to how far they go in their tennis career? If there is I bet it is weaker than many expect. (if you know of a study please let me know I would like to read it)
          Last edited by lobndropshot; 05-04-2015, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9019 users online. 8 members and 9011 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X