2015 Mutua Madrid Open…Madrid, Spain…ATP 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Mutua Madrid Open…Madrid, Spain…ATP 1000

It's all about Roger Federer. But this tournament is on clay and according to the draw there is only one match that interests me at this point. That match would be a semifinal with Rafael Nadal. My favorite player on the tour and my least favorite.

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

But there are some fairly large obstacles in the way of this match and it all depends upon how much Roger wants to compete. Afterall if he gets two million in Istanbul to show up…how much does he get in Madrid? One only needs so much money and all one really needs is three square and a roof over there head. Where does the desire and motivation come from at a certain point in a 34 year old tennis player that has won everything there is to win and has all of the toys he could ever want? It is a good question.

In the immediate sight of Roger is Nick Kyrgios who made a big name and reputation for himself by taking out Nadal at Wimbledon last year. His results as of late don't live up to his billing or the hype. He's big…he hits extremely hard and he is a big hot dog. This is what passes for entertainment these days but quite frankly…I am not amused. So here you have the polar opposites once again on the tennis court stage. The up and coming hot dog and the star last remaining link to classic tennis in decline. If the best man wins it will be Roger Federer otherwise this tournament has taken a huge dump in the early stages.

Another question mark is another huge star and another huge hot dog. Rafael Nadal's performance has noticeably dropped off the last several months after another lengthy layoff from the tour. What gives with these lengthy layoffs? I have never been aware of a top player on the professional tennis tour to disappear for months at a time for questionable injuries. There is something awfully suspicious about this guy and the obsessive compulsive behaviour on the tennis court is becoming more palatable to watch…the more that he loses.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Focus on grass...

Well I didn't see the match but my son tells me Federer has checked out of Madrid already. That's a shame. But I still think skipping the clay court season is the best idea from him...even skip the French Open. Instead have a replica centre court made and start practising now. You have to believe this Wimbledon will be his last chance to win a grand slam.

He's only won one grand slam out of the last twenty. It's time to put all the eggs in one basket and go all out to win just one more.

As they say in Italy: Hope is the last thing to die.
    Stotty

Comment

Federer lost to Kyrgios in 3 tie break sets. Once again thought, it was a Simpsons Paradox. Roger won more points than Kyrgios. 131 to 127 for those keeping score at home.

Federer did a terrible job returning serve. Only 18 of 85 points won off first serve return.
      Few days rest and gear up for Rome.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Federer said that he had a tough time getting in position for Kyrgios's serve. It was a tight, very well played, entertaining match. Oh well, so much more time for his twin boy's birthday celebration...

Comment

Saw the nishkori - ferrer match. Nishkori has terrific, very fast footwork. Talk about fast adjustment steps!

Comment

Anybody beating Nadal and Fed as a 19yr. old will be no. 1 eventually.

Comment

Nadal vs. Murray in finals tomorrow. BORRRRRRRIIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!

Maybe if Berdych had pulled out that first set tie-break if would be a different story. Maybe not. We'll never know.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

The B word…Boring

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                Nadal vs. Murray in finals tomorrow. BORRRRRRRIIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!

Maybe if Berdych had pulled out that first set tie-break if would be a different story. Maybe not. We'll never know.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                I have a gut feeling that you may be correct. You know…about the boring thing. I tried real hard to watch the Nadal/Berdych match but in the end I admit…it didn't hold my interest. In a word…boring. I never get tired of saying this…modern tennis is so BORING if Roger Federer is not involved. It bores me to tears…it's sickening what they have done to the game.

It's a perfect word though…the word boring. Because I swear if you watch Nadal long enough it's enough to make you sick. To think that he is one of the top players in the game is nauseating. Enough to make you heave. But correct me if I'm wrong. Extoll upon his virtues.

Berdych for his part amped up the Z-factor as well. Z as in zzzzzz's. Snooze fest. He is as one dimensional as it gets. He lost a close first set and then went in the tank for the second. He had nothing left after Nadal beat him at his own game. He had nothing in reserve and he went away meekly. Too bad…there is no reason he couldn't have been trained in the Federer mode of tennis. One hand backhand…serve and volley. All court tennis. I guess the coaches somehow got brainwashed in the flood over the years. Lost in the flood. What a shame…what a waste of talent. What a shame about the sport of tennis.

I am going to give it my best shot this evening. There isn't much else to do. It is a last resort. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Don't worry, it won't be boring. It's not a bad match up if Murray plays well. Nadal is still not at his best and that should help make it an interesting contest. At the end of the day clay is clay...it's grind...all about attrition.
                  Stotty

Comment

What is going on with Nadal?

God knows what is going wrong with Nadal this year. He really has plummeted. I'm not sure he is going to turn things round for the French. I thought Murray played a really astute match but nevertheless he had some help from Nadal.

I thought the high kicker to Nadal's forehand was a good service ploy by Murray. It plays into the strength of Nadal but pushes him back a little so cannot get his teeth into the return to dictate play. It leaves a nice hole to his backhand on the next shot for Murray. He did a really nice job in stopping Nadal getting too many forehands...which is the most critical thing when playing Nadal, or you lose.
                    Stotty

Comment

Nadal now plummets to number 7. I think the French Open is up for grabs...

Comment

Murray played some solid ball today. Nadal made a fair share of errors but Andy stayed positive. It\'s about progress, not perfection.

Anyone see that attempt at a swing volley by Murray on break point in the 2nd set? I know don_budge did. Atrocious.

As for Roland Garros...
                        Until someone beats Nadal, I gotta go with the guy that has won it 9 times. I don\\\'t want to but its tough to deny the magic that happens when he gets on the terre battue. With that said, Hoping Djokovic captures it to complete his grand slam. Federer win would be nice just to give his critics and doubters one last middle finger to say \"Still got it\"

Of course, My #1 is Berdych. He\'s been on the doorstep of all the tournaments. Time for this moment of triumph. Yeah, I may be going down with the titanic. But it\'s been a fantastic cruise nonetheless.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton
                        Last edited by klacr; 05-10-2015, 01:06 PM. Reason: Restraint is the best ingredient

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                          Nadal now plummets to number 7. I think the French Open is up for grabs...
                          To 7...in a week...how does that work? He was 4 last week, wasn\\\'t he?

And why are all these \\\\\\\\\\ appearing in our posts? Or is it just mine and Klacr\'s?
                          Last edited by stotty; 05-10-2015, 01:08 PM.
                          Stotty

Comment

yes! I have no clue why these //////// are appearing!!!!!!!////

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                              yes! I have no clue why these //////// are appearing!!!!!!!////

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              I better PM the boss.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8177 users online. 5 members and 8172 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X