How the Tennis Gods MOVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the Tennis Gods MOVE

I see you endorsed the book How the Tennis Gods MOVE, Klacr. Is it good? What will I gain from it as a coach? Is it worth parting with money for?
    Stotty

Stotty,

I guess you saw my endorsement on the back.

I know the author Dan McCain. He asked me to read his rough draft and give him some advice and ideas to improve upon it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1508983887/..._74.92.202.233

I gave him a nice endorsement and is featured on the back cover of the book. It talks about footwork, the science behind balance and movement and some exercises and drills to improve those aspects.
    He also did a great job with research and sources from former and current players as well as top coaches. Worth the read. Good mix of philosophical as well as technical. I gave it out as a gift to a few of my students and they enjoyed it. I gave a few more out to some fellow pros and they found it useful as well.

This is not a paid advertisement!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Do I see a Kyle LaCroix book of the month club in the making?

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
        Stotty,

I guess you saw my endorsement on the back.

I know the author Dan McCain. He asked me to read his rough draft and give him some advice and ideas to improve upon it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1508983887/..._74.92.202.233

I gave him a nice endorsement and is featured on the back cover of the book. It talks about footwork, the science behind balance and movement and some exercises and drills to improve those aspects.
        He also did a great job with research and sources from former and current players as well as top coaches. Worth the read. Good mix of philosophical as well as technical. I gave it out as a gift to a few of my students and they enjoyed it. I gave a few more out to some fellow pros and they found it useful as well.

This is not a paid advertisement!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        I may give it a read. It's not that expensive in paperback. The title seemed interesting in itself. And you have endorsed it I thought it must be a humdinger of a book...
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
          Do I see a Kyle LaCroix book of the month club in the making?
          Haha. I could compete with Oprah's. Not! Next month's book will be "Visual Tennis" by some game named Yandell
          After that, Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time".

I always enjoy a good read and can make it through a long book in a pretty short period of time. In college I invested a nice chunk of change on a speed reading course. It helped. At my peak I was doing about 750-800 words a minute. But I was reading everyday to keep up that speed. Now I can only do about 400-500 a minute.

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          I may give it a read. It's not that expensive in paperback. The title seemed interesting in itself. And you have endorsed it I thought it must be a humdinger of a book...
          It's a good value, good education and an entertaining read. It's not a Charles Dickens novel nor is it the length of Tolstoy's War and each but you should give it a try. Interested to hear what you think.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Last edited by klacr; 05-21-2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I ordered it.

Comment

Great John. Hope you enjoy it. Author Dan McCain will be thrilled.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                I ordered it.
                Me too! These things are all tax deductible after all.
                Stotty

Comment

You bet Stotty. Education is an investment capable of incredible dividends... and its tax deductible

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Book club?!

Comment

I ordered and received the book (on Kindle; hard copy coming in a few days). I think it well worth the read. A very good summary of "modern" technique principles and also a few ideas I had not come across before. The author put a great deal of effort into the book and should be commended for it. I also liked the "practical" exercises and drills, esp. since many of them can be done off-court which is great when you live in the Northeast when indoor court time is not plentiful in the cold weather months.

Kyle, I read the author's background. I get the impression he is "thinker" and idea guy. Is that his forte as opposed to being in the trenches every day developing players year after year? That is not a criticism at all, you need the thought leaders!

Comment

Originally posted by EdWeiss View Post
                        I ordered and received the book (on Kindle; hard copy coming in a few days). I think it well worth the read. A very good summary of "modern" technique principles and also a few ideas I had not come across before. The author put a great deal of effort into the book and should be commended for it. I also liked the "practical" exercises and drills, esp. since many of them can be done off-court which is great when you live in the Northeast when indoor court time is not plentiful in the cold weather months.

Kyle, I read the author's background. I get the impression he is "thinker" and idea guy. Is that his forte as opposed to being in the trenches every day developing players year after year? That is not a criticism at all, you need the thought leaders!
                        Ed, Thanks for positive review of the book. Glad you enjoyed it and can hopefully get some usage out of it with your players.

as for the author Dan McCain, first and foremost, he went to the University of Michigan so clearly he knows some stuff. And yes, I'm slightly bias towards my fellow Wolverines. He grew up on the West Coast of Florida near my hometown. He was one of the top juniors in Florida and in the country. His father was a tennis coach and was a top coach at Harry Hopman Academy at Saddlebrook.

Dan is a heck of a player. He also happens to be a deep thinker. He works at at club in Virginia and is in the trenches every day developing juniors, he has spoken at conventions numerous times as well. He's a good mix of many great attributes rolled into one.
                        Here is his website although it has not been updated. Check it out...
                        http://danmccain.com/

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Thanks Kyle for the informative post. Sounds like Dan has accomplished and done much. The more I delve into the book,the more I like it! A couple of things in the book that John Y. might not agree with, but overall a very well done book in my view.

Comment

Thanks Kyle for the informative post. Sounds like Dan has accomplished and done much. The more I delve into the book,the more I like it! A couple of things in the book that John Y. might not agree with, but overall a very well done book in my view.
                            What problem areas do you see in the book?

Comment

Thanks Ed, and yes, there are a few ideas in their that some may disagree with but that's what makes it interesting, would be boring if it was stuff we already knew and accepted. Rock the boat.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8422 users online. 4 members and 8418 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X