Exact height at contact ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exact height at contact ...

John Eisner and Ivo Karlovich are the two biggest players on the professional tour. Would any tennis serving expert know the exact height of which he is making contact at when he hits the ball on the serve, or give me a good estimate? Arm reach, racket, ect? 13 feet, 2 inches? Is that on the mark, or close to it? Anyone maybe have exact figures?

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
    John Eisner and Ivo Karlovich are the two biggest players on the professional tour. Would any tennis serving expert know the exact height of which he is making contact at when he hits the ball on the serve, or give me a good estimate? Arm reach, racket, ect? 13 feet, 2 inches? Is that on the mark, or close to it? Anyone maybe have exact figures?
    I know in the old days when players barely left the ground to serve, 10 feet was considered excellent extension for someone about 6' 1" tall and about the limit for height of contact point.

But someone like Isner is nearly a full foot off the ground. In addition, at 6' 10" tall, his reach is at least 15 to 18 inches greater than someone 6' 1" tall. But that is still definitely under 13' off the ground. Your daughter at 6' 4", should she be able to achieve similar lift off with her leg drive, would still be a good foot below the contact point of Isner/Karlovic.

You also want to consider how far into the court. I think I remember something about Sampras's contact point being almost 7' into the court. Personally, I kind of doubt that, but I bet Krajicek was close to that.

don

Comment

Here's a nifty video from tennisplayer.net member Jim Fawcette on the Isner serve. The specific contact height is shown at around the 2:15 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...contact+height

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
        Here's a nifty video from tennisplayer.net member Jim Fawcette on the Isner serve. The specific contact height is shown at around the 2:15 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...contact+height

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        What a wonderful piece from Jim. We need to get him to do more like that. It's obviously a major project with contributions from so many people that he wasn't able to list them all in the credits, but we have to encourage him to do more!

don

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
          What a wonderful piece from Jim. We need to get him to do more like that. It's obviously a major project with contributions from so many people that he wasn't able to list them all in the credits, but we have to encourage him to do more!

don
          That was a nice peace.

Comment

Who knew Jim was an analyst??

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8222 users online. 8 members and 8214 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X