Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum June: Ayesha Forehand

Ayesha Forehand

Ayesha and her dad Amar have been subscribers for many years. He sent me this incredible piece of video. His daughter's forehand--created using Tennisplayer video and instruction.

First of all, note the high speed shutter and the clear frames. But mainly look at Ayesha's forehand.

Amar asked me to compare her forehand to Roger. OK. Compact outside ATP backswing, great turn, straight arm with contact WAY in front. Great extension. Relaxed, fluid, powerful looking. Just my thoughts.

Someone must have a construction criticism out there somewhere right?

Last edited by johnyandell; 07-01-2016, 09:50 AM.

Quicktime version

Ayesha Forehand

Last edited by johnyandell; 07-01-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

If she snaps backwards, more, it will increase her frame speed. The snap back now is non existent, so it limits her frame speed/rpm possibility. Snap back.
      Last edited by johnyandell; 06-02-2015, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Geoff,

What is snap back?

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Ayesha Forehand
          Someone must have a construction criticism out there somewhere right?
          Keep the head still...?
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
            Geoff,

What is snap back?
            John says this happens as the pros pull forward, the frame snaps back, creating vicious rpm speed, but I say, it's a deliberate technique, at least when first learned, snapping back against the wrist on purpose, and that it doesn't happen naturally without a lot of focus.

Comment

Love her forehand. My only worry is contact. If viewed from the back I think it would be perfectly situated to her side with shoulder away from core. But from the side it might be slightly too far out in front. I teach a pro player with similar contact point. Her belief is she is too close to the ball so she plays ball more in front. Which when seen from rear is hard to explain because like this player it is definitely off to her side. My player feels it is like a boxer landing a punch overextended and force is less than what they would hope for. But again love her technique.

Comment

How old is she? 12 or 13?

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                  John says this happens as the pros pull forward, the frame snaps back, creating vicious rpm speed, but I say, it's a deliberate technique, at least when first learned, snapping back against the wrist on purpose, and that it doesn't happen naturally without a lot of focus.
                  That's what i thought you meant...Look at it in the quicktime version and you will see that she does that. In fact, from the position of the pull, tip pointed up and towards the right rear corner, it's obvious there is going to be a tremendous backward rotation and lag..or "snap back". In fact, the amount of "flip" and the short duration in which it occurs, screams huge RHS.

At this stage, I would literally not tell her a thing...It's pretty mint..

Comment

Evaluating a stroke, let's start from the ground up. Look at those feet. It appears she has time but insists on hitting fairly open. That 3rd forehand in the sequence is a bit extreme.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
                      That's what i thought you meant...Look at it in the quicktime version and you will see that she does that. In fact, from the position of the pull, tip pointed up and towards the right rear corner, it's obvious there is going to be a tremendous backward rotation and lag..or "snap back". In fact, the amount of "flip" and the short duration in which it occurs, screams huge RHS.

At this stage, I would literally not tell her a thing...It's pretty mint..
                      I agree. She has a nice internally rotated shoulder position on preparation, she externally rotates her shoulder in preparation to contact, and she internally rotates her shoulder into and through contact. She does not have the violent flip of Federer or Nadal, but she will only get better.
                      Last edited by stroke; 06-02-2015, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyswift View Post
                        Love her forehand. My only worry is contact. If viewed from the back I think it would be perfectly situated to her side with shoulder away from core. But from the side it might be slightly too far out in front. I teach a pro player with similar contact point. Her belief is she is too close to the ball so she plays ball more in front. Which when seen from rear is hard to explain because like this player it is definitely off to her side. My player feels it is like a boxer landing a punch overextended and force is less than what they would hope for. But again love her technique.
                        I think Bobby may have a good point here. The contact does look a tad too far in front when you freeze frame it. I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this?

Then again when you freeze frame Federer on a side view, his contact is well in front also.

Stotty

Comment

Two really interesting points--the head and the contact. See I knew there was a reason I put this up...

Comment

I wonder if the dad might share his thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                              I think Bobby may have a good point here. The contact does look a tad too far in front when you freeze frame it. I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this?

Then again when you freeze frame Federer on a side view, his contact is well in front also.

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...LevelSide1.mov
                              He might have a point...but with a straight arm (as she has) the contact is further away (laterally) and more in front..Doesn't look too off to me with this arm configure.

I think with all straight arm forehands, the real test is if theyre able to meet there contact point requirements under pressure. That's where the difficulty lies. I just think she's doing so many things well here technically, id leave it alone and just hit thousands of balls under all conditions.
                              Last edited by 10splayer; 06-03-2015, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8095 users online. 7 members and 8088 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X