Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning in the System

Let's discuss Bill Previdi's "Returning in the System"

Pretty clear article on the doubles return. Nice work!

I am not sure if you guys are planning on doing a article on communication. But, what are the keys to effective communication in a doubles match?

I am asking this question with a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth, because last night I feel that my partner and I lost our match due to communication. We started the match off nicely with an early break which we were able to convert into the set. Then after trading breaks in the 2nd set my partner started this line of talk that frankly frustrated the hell out of me. He began to use the lines in effort to get us pumped up (I think that's what he was trying to do) :
    "We're playing down to these guys level" (you are playing badly)
    "We have play our game" (your not playing your game)
    "We have to be aggressive" (your being passive)
    "These guys aren't that good" (We are down in this set so we must not be playing that well)

Anyways this is just a vent I want to thank you guys for you previous help.

Comment

Funny you should ask! Communication is one of the articles coming up.

Comment

Lob and drop shot
        Here's a link to an article I wrote in Addvantage magazine a few years back about becoming a great doubles partner.http://addvantageuspta.com/default.a...sletterid=1194
        If the link doesn't work just google "how to become a great doubles partner."
        My advice would be not to play with that partner again. All of that chatter did nothing but put you on edge and make you play worse. I'm not sure there's enough space here to address what was wrong with each of those statements but suffice it to say they were completely unproductive. One thing my coach always told me was to never underestimate my opponent.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that was a great read.

Comment

Communication is a mental thing. Depends on who your partner is, and whether he can take strategy suggestions or not, such as: "Throw a fake, and come back." "Fake, stay and then go." "Close up closer to the net, and I will cover any lob behind you." "I'm going to be serving down the line to his forehand, so look to move on it." "I'm going to be ripping my returns, so close up tighter and look to move." Etc. Most people are not so good at taking any suggestion during matches, sad to say. Best to do it before or after a match.

Comment

Those are constructive comments to make during a match! Thanks

Comment

I think that it is important for all tactical decisions to be collaborative for them to be effective. You need to know what you're partner is comfortable doing, e.g., don't ask them to poach all the time if they're not comfortable poaching. My partner and I always signal when we're serving as to where we are going to serve. The net player gives the signal and the server can change it or not, like a pitcher and a catcher. It keep both people thinking and over time you find you're already anticipating where they want the serve before the signal.
                Everyone is different but in life as in tennis, it's all in the delivery.
                I started playing tournaments last year with a new partner. He's a fine player and we really enjoy playing together and have had great results. When we first started playing together I (the lefty) was playing the ad court and he (the righty) was playing the deuce. I really thought we should switch but I know with his personality it would work out better if he thought it was his idea.
                One Sunday we were playing our regular game and we won the first two sets easily. I suggested to him that we switch sides just so we wouldn't keep killing our poor friends. After one set the new way he said " we should do this all the time." I had to know him and how to deal with him. Doubles is a relationship just like any other.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7968 users online. 5 members and 7963 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X