2015 Halle…ATP 500…Halle, Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    The win in Halle yesterday marks the 86th career title for Roger Federer. He is 3rd on the all time career title list behind Lendl (94 titles) and Jimmy Connors (109 titles).

Of the 86 titles, 15 of them have come on grass. Imagine how many more titles he'd have if the grass court season was longer than 3 weeks or if 3 of the 4 grand slams were played on grass like before.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    The grass court season is way too short. When you think 3 of the 4 slams were once on grass. Grass is the original surface of tennis. It's a shame to see it shrink so.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      The win in Halle yesterday marks the 86th career title for Roger Federer. He is 3rd on the all time career title list behind Lendl (94 titles) and Jimmy Connors (109 titles).

Of the 86 titles, 15 of them have come on grass. Imagine how many more titles he'd have if the grass court season was longer than 3 weeks or if 3 of the 4 grand slams were played on grass like before.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      He'd have 34 slams, and Nadal would have his frenchies. No one would have any other slam. Laver played 3 of 4 grass slams.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        The only "crime" is that there is nobody to replace him with. When he leaves you will hear the sound of a giant sucking…the air leaving a balloon. Elvis leaving the stadium.
        Someone better always comes along. Trust me

Comment

The Next…doesn't seem to Exist

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
          Someone better always comes along. Trust me
          Oh really…all I need to do is take your word for it? Trust me…I understand where you are coming from. But as you are aware of my "archaic" teaching paradigm which I will not repeat to you because of your aversion to "you know who"…but my conclusion is that Roger Federer is my "Living Proof".

I just got off the phone with my father and we were discussing the tennis scene a bit. He used to be a splendid player…even though he didn't take the game up until he was 37…but we were discussing this very thing. Surprise of surprises. I mentioned to him that there were only SIX Americans in all of the top 100 players in the world as opposed to the FORTY-TWO that there were in 1984.

I don't see it happening. Who is this "someone" who is coming along? As a matter of fact I had an interesting discussion with my "Tecnifibre" rep the other day and he had been attending some meetings in London and one of the topics of discussion was who was the next "Top Gun" coming down the pipes. So far…he is an unknown quantity. At least these most informed fellows were clueless as to who he was. It's going to be interesting…or not. I plan on exiting with Roger as I don't see much of a future in tennis as a professional game. Of course I love to teach the game and get some exercise…but I don't see it. The game has reached some sort of dead end.

The game has gone through some rather radical transformations with all of the engineering and whatnot. Like I said…I get where you are coming from but on the other hand I don't see it happening. The present top echelon are rather one-trick ponies if you know what I mean. Roger is the only one that is capable of playing real all-court grass court tennis complete with classic approaches and volley to go along with some rather spotty serve and volley. I would like to think that you are right…but I don't see it and neither did a roomful full of some of the biggest equipment reps in Europe.
          Last edited by don_budge; 06-22-2015, 11:40 PM.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
              The grass court season is way too short. When you think 3 of the 4 slams were once on grass. Grass is the original surface of tennis. It's a shame to see it shrink so.
              Clay court events begin a week after Australian Open and they are still held weeks into July after Wimbledon. Grass gets 3 weeks wedged after French Open then Wimbledon. 5 weeks match. It was just 4 weeks before ATP added extra week between Paris and SW19.

Yes Stotty. It is a shame

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7986 users online. 6 members and 7980 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X