Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-handed backhand: The Forward Swing

Mr Yandell (or editorial staff/or erudite bloggers),

I had a couple of questions/comments regarding the one-handed backhand forward swing.

1. Assuming the classic (1,1), a.k.a. Eastern backhand grip, and assuming that I want to get additional top-spin by "clocking" my wrist before impact, does this change the forward swing into an "extreme grip-associated forward swing," or windshield wiper, or is it forward and classical with right shoulder facing 30 degrees or so to the net? (Not so much the wrap, which would be different, understandably.)
    2. In terms of racquet head speed, have you looked at, say Federer and Djoko, to compare the "racquet head speed ratio" of backhand to forehand? Does the one- hander biomechanics dictate a slower racquet head speed compared to the forehand, in the same player, hitting the same amount of topspin?
    Thanks, Pedro

Here's a great article from John describing the one handed backhand forward swing. One of my favorites actually. Maybe it will answer some of your curiosities.
    http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...ard_swing.html

As for the racquet head speed, stats show Wawrinka's backhand has just as much mph and rpm as his forehand. So clearly his racquet head speed remains pretty close on both wings. I feel like I can get more drive and more whip on my one hander as well, I feel that my extension is far greater on my backhand as I do not have my left shoulder in front or to the side to stop my as I do on a forehand. But I prefer that side as it just feels more natural.

Great questions, not sure if I answered them but hopefully other forum regulars can chime in and share their knowledge.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Amazing to think a player can generate as much racket speed on the one hander as a forehand. I wonder how many players can do so like Wawrinka, however? You have to believe most players cannot hit at quite the same speed off both wings as he does.

Privas, I am not quite sure what is meant in your first question, which is why I never had a stab at answering it.
      Stotty

Comment

privas,

I am in England at an LTA conference and going to Wimbledon tomorrow and Tues. Back at the end of the week--can I answer then??

Comment

Topspin One-hander

Licensedcoach, as the article cited by Kyle, changing grips changes the contact point. But the grip can remain at (1,1) classical Eastern backhand, and the wrist can be "clocked" a bit, to close the face of the racquet, during the take-back or right before impact. I'm sure you've done this, and there are frames of Federer doing this. It's nothing that I've read on tennisplayer.net, however.
          Appreciate the feedback, and I look forward to the post-Wimbledon comments from Mr Yandell. As I am only 5'7", I prefer to generate as much spin as possible, and these issues are important to me. Thanks, Pedro

Comment

Pedro,
            Not sure what "clocked" means. I have stayed away from racket face angle analysis because of my own uncertainties. But yes you do see closed face. Whether it can or should be cultivated is a good question. Kerry Mitchell has some interesting thoughts on that here:

As for the more extreme rotations, I would say no. There is a relationship between grip, contact point and amount of rotation. Too much rotation with the classical grips has the danger of actually moving your contact point back, in my opinion.
            The best solution for the questions you pose would be filming yourself in high speed video, identifying shot outcomes that you want, and working backwards to understand the technical issues and then creating images to replicate the shots at will.
            Last edited by johnyandell; 07-01-2015, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Back foot vs Big Foot

Mr Yandell:

Thanks for responding. I also enjoyed the article you referenced from Bob Hansen. I enjoy walking in the Santa Cruz mountains counting banana slugs with my small kids after a good rain (en route to the Big Foot museum in Felton); I had no idea that the local team was named after these creatures!

I've noticed that the back foot movement is diverse among the pros. Your footage of Federer often shows the back foot jumping off the ground and going backwards from his torso; is this for balance purposes, like the back motion of the left arm? I've noticed some of your editorial staff have criticized this motion of Federer in the past, stating that the left foot should stay on the ground for balance.

Any thoughts?
              And also with regards to the racquet head speed of the one-hander vs the forehand?

Thanks, Pedro

Comment

I like the movement backwards or maybe just holding the toe position. I think it is like the kick back on the serve. For me it perfects the timing of the torso rotation. (Or limits the tendency to overrate so many players have.)

You ask a good question but there isn't comparative data like that I know of on racket speed. Racket speed is usually around 60% of ball speed. So if you have the ball speed you can estimate that the higher the ball speed the higher the racket speed.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7780 users online. 5 members and 7775 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X