Imagery and Elite Players: Justine Henin's Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagery and Elite Players: Justine Henin's Forehand

John, really liked your article on how Carlos and Justine used imagery from the Agassi forehand to rework her forehand into a much more efficient shot. It is very interesting when you see a pro make a real significant change like this. Not many do.

I read an article not long ago how French player Adrian Mannarino had made a significant change like this to his forehand a couple of years ago. Per the article, he was having terrible arm pain that could not be medically diagnosed. He was hitting with a very western grip, elbow very close to the body, kind of like Justine's old forehand. He changed to a milder grip structure, got his elbow out away from his body, and developed a much shorter, more efficient forehand. The arm pain went away.

As someone who is attempting major changes on serve and forehand at a late age, I can tell you it's one of the toughest things I've ever done.

Comment

I think everybody has to do this with some stroke whether they know it or not-- they SHOULD do it in other words but usually don't.

So people need to set up the structure early-- the structure for overhaul and then reinforce it through practice just the way they do to keep their volleys sharp.

I know I overhaul too much-- that's me. But there's a time to do it that is appropriate, and the process is easier if you've been doing it all along.
      Last edited by bottle; 07-02-2015, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7913 users online. 4 members and 7909 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X