Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poaching is Overrated

Let's get your thoughts on Bill Previdi's article, "Poaching is Overrated"

Neat idea. But does this mean I have to read the article? Yes of course. And I will.

Comment

Poaching requires a great set up from the partner, quick feet, quick hands, solid reflexes and decent volley technique and overall understanding of strategy and tactics. At the club level, the majority of these traits do not exist, or they do, but in raw form. For that reason, poaching can be a Pandora's box of headaches and bad decision making due to a lower level of play.

It's not the consistency that gets players in trouble, it's the quality of consistency. Often times, I see teams in which the net player is poaching quite often, unfortunately, they do not do anything with the poach and they end up digging themselves a deeper hole and often lose the point because of it.

Much like the article suggests, if you follow the system and it's guidelines, it's rare that you would have to put yourself in a position to poach, or at least poach often. All is cured, If students follow the system that is...but therein lies the challenge.

Good article and hope we get more from the Previdi duo. Great to see what other teaching professionals handle the dynamic of club doubles. In South Florida, Ladies Doubles Leagues will make or break a tennis professional. Seen it happen on numerous times. Important to know the x's and o's and ways in which to deliver it to the student.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

A friend of who played doubles at Wimbledon in the late 70s taught me some key things about doubles. i use his advice to this day.

- whether you can intercept depends greatly upon the quality of shot you partner hit

- always keep your eyes ahead of you and don't follow the ball around in rallies, or you won't stand a chance if the opponents intercept on you. the players in from of you tell you everything...no need to follow the ball around (this is the best tip anyone ever gave me)

- if you decide to chance it, move out just before your opponent strikes the ball and cannot change his shot.

- only intercept on balls where you can hit the volley downwards

- don't be an ornament at the net, your job is to mop up, and intercept.

- intercepting is total commitment; close down the net when you do it and put the ball away

I get the whole club player thing and the difficulties involved in intercepting at that level. I like to sell them the idea of mopping easy balls as being their roll.
        Stotty

Comment

One of the issues I discuss with my students ( and friends that I play with as well) is that poaching is going outside of your area of responsibility to take a ball(s). How are you going to do that if you can't even take the balls in your area? Know your area, position yourself properly and don't just stand there "covering the alley."
          If the helper continues to set up the point and the Hunter Hunts, good things will happen.
          One of the things I tell my students is that if you keep hitting set ups, the point will take care of itself. Be as aggressive as the situation warrants but don't be in a rush to end (lose) the point.

Comment

I agree with most things in this article series however I just want to say it needs to be mentioned that as the net player you poach when your partner hits a good shot and you cover your alley area when he hits a bad shot. You don't just poach based on score and your opponents trends and patterns you poach most of all when your partner hit a good shot. You need to balance geometry of the court with quality of your partners shot as well as trends and patterns of the opponents. If you poach at the right time poaching is a low risk play. I disagree that poaching is overrated although I think he is trying to say that doing it too much and at the wrong times is wrong which of course is true.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9359 users online. 6 members and 9353 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X