Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1946 Davis Cup: Part 2

Let's discuss Gardnar Mulloy's latest article, "The 1946 Davis Cup: Part 2"

Gar really writes well, and gives us better understanding of how the old champions really were. Schroeder does not come off well at all, and I understand how the enmity with Pancho Gonzales came to be. Gonzales was certainly not "one of the California boys". Good for Pancho!

Comment

The politics of tennis were messed up back then too.

But despite the internal issues, USA still won and Gardner seemed the most level headed of them all. Schroeder sounds like an ass. Love these classic tennis stories

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

I really loved this story to. Gar's dry wit is fab--even though this was the most important thing in his life at the time. He gives an ironic perspective that would be great more widely applied in tennis...and everywhere for that matter.

Comment

Awesome to hear him tell it. You can still hear the love of the sport he has in his writing. Despite the fact that it was 70 years ago, you get the sense that it was happening right now. The way tennis was back then should give us all an appreciation for how far it has come while still respecting its roots and the way it was. Back then, Davis Cup meant something and you could tell. Their was passion and national pride on the line. If you didn't play, it was devastating and if you chose not to play it was deemed an insult to your country.

The scary thing is...Gardner Mulloy has had such a tremendously rich tennis life that he has probably forgotten more of these classic tennis stories than any of us would be able to actually live through and remember.

I really like the addition of Mulloy's articles to each issue. It brings us back to our roots, keeps us humble and gives us some details on history that we often overlook or never knew about.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

What you said.

Comment

Nice article. It's good to get the true story. The whole debacle gets forgotten if you win I guess...at least the captain and the nation would see it that way.
              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8059 users online. 4 members and 8055 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X