Baseball swing backhand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball swing backhand

For us teaching pros, I think a good article for someone to contribute to the site would be to break down the baseball swing 2 handed backhand and how to fix it. We know it when we see it, but boy, it is hard to fix, in my opinion.

God yes it is. Thoughts anyone??

Comment

Always good to see an example first and work from there.

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...enterFront.pct

The question is, what are the results of a specific student's baseball swing backhand? Does it meet any or all correct technical checkpoints? If yes, great. If not, which ones?

Getting into it, the first thing you can look for is the grip. That will tell you what you are working with and may explain a swing path. Changing the grip is a tough ask but at least you know what you are working with when it comes to helping student understand their contact point.

As I imagine it, baseball swing is perpendicular around spine (parallel to shoulders). since you want a slight upswing in baseball (nearly level) you have to tilt the spine a little to achieve that.

In tennis you don't swing parallel to shoulders around the spine, instead you have an up component (parallel to the spine or perpendicular to shoulders) on top of the around the spine component. that means tennis players generate the "up" differently than baseball players.

Often times, these players with baseball swings will try to roll over the backhand to much with their wrists, almost a pronation of sorts with their top hand. They need to learn to keep their hands flat through the line of the shot.

One thing that baseball players do is lean back and open that chest to bring the bat around and up to give the ball some air. That weight transfer will be critical to adjust. The transfer is important because it allows the front foot to act as an pivot that the hips and shoulders can rotate around. We want to be leaning forward a bit more with the hitting shoulder. Be sure the hitting shoulder is pointing level or downwards towards ball, make sure we keep it there and steady. Often times, in a baseball style swing, that front hitting shoulder will pull up to soon.

Hope that makes sense

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Last edited by klacr; 07-27-2015, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I concur with rolling wrists business, and the shot is further characterised by stepping in with the lower half of the body yet leaning back with the upper half. The shot tends to start looking a lot more normal once the upper half of the body is cured from leaning back....and as Klacr suggest, keeping the hands flat through the line of the shot.
        Stotty

Comment

Show the student side by side video, of his, and then of Djokovic's back hand.

Comment

Just make sure the student is wearing a matching outfit. Otherwise it will throw the whole analysis off.

But seriously side by side is very important. That is why the your strokes section is very valuable.

Comment

Side by side is the fastest way to learn and accept just how bad your strokes are.

Comment

Thanks Kyle, for taking the time to post that response. I agree that the leaning back is a huge trademark. It's just so hard to change the muscle memory.

For me, the three most frustrating parts of teaching tennis are
                1)Waiters tray serve
                2)Baseball backhand
                3)Getting younger beginners to have a square, not open, racket at impact

Comment

Originally posted by bman View Post
                  Thanks Kyle, for taking the time to post that response. I agree that the leaning back is a huge trademark. It's just so hard to change the muscle memory.

For me, the three most frustrating parts of teaching tennis are
                  1)Waiters tray serve
                  2)Baseball backhand
                  3)Getting younger beginners to have a square, not open, racket at impact
                  My pleasure. Thanks for posting such a great question.
                  The baseball swing is trick, key is to get them to keep that front shoulder above and ahead of the feet. Once the front shoulder starts falling behind the feet and stops leading it becomes an issue.

As teachers, we see many things that makes us cringe when we are on court when it comes to technique. The three you mentioned are up there for sure.

My personal favorite, a loyal student of mine (5'2 female from China. 50+ years old. Been playing for 2 years. Lessons with me for 2 months) asks me when she can start serving harder than me. With a genuine straight face. Gotta love that.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    My personal favorite, a loyal student of mine (5'2 female from China. 50+ years old. Been playing for 2 years. Lessons with me for 2 months) asks me when she can start serving harder than me. With a genuine straight face. Gotta love that.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    love it!

Comment

And when will that happen?

Comment

I'll start serving faster before she will!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7975 users online. 5 members and 7970 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X