Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum August 2015: Grigor Dimitrov Backhand

Grigor Dimitrov Backhand

When Grigor first emerged on the tour while still a teenager, his technical game was often compared to Roger Federer, and with justification.

But take a look at this unbelievable clip we filmed of Grigor’s backhand while he was playing practice points in LA with John Isner.

What elements look like Roger almost exactly, and which ones are different?

Do you love watching this as much as I do?

Last edited by johnyandell; 07-01-2016, 09:51 AM.

Quicktime version

Grigor Dimitrov Backhand

Last edited by johnyandell; 07-01-2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Continental grip. Which can raise some issues. Pretty sure even Roger's grip is not that conservative.
      Love the focus on the ball and the deep turn.

That set up looks very similar. Seems like Dimitrov has even more flexibility and range of motion on the finish.

Great clip

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Last edited by klacr; 08-01-2015, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
        Continental grip. Which can raise some issues. Pretty sure even Roger's grip is not that conservative.
        Great clip

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        I'm pretty sure it is. I was amazed how mild Federer's grip was when i watched him play at Wimbledon a few years back.
        Stotty

Comment

What do you guys say about that back left arm??

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            What do you guys say about that back left arm??
            Yes, strange that, the left arm cuts into his body (inline with his belly button or maybe even well beyond) quite a bit prior to the strike. I checked out Federer who doesn't do that.

I saw him play at Wimbledon a few years ago. I couldn't hit the ball that hard off my backhand wing even if I didn't have to control it.

What's the main role of the left arm at that particular point? Is it making a post of some kind to hit against...stiffening up the left flank?
            Last edited by stotty; 08-07-2015, 06:18 AM.
            Stotty

Comment

Maybe. The left arm certainly stays with the shot for a long time. Reminds me of Ivan Lendl's though Lendl's low point seemed more to the outside. Lendl seemed to keep a two-arm connection to the racket for a long time through use of the freakishly long fingers of his hitting hand. I abandoned that path once I decided I didn't have freakishly long fingers.

Another provocative thing is the way the arm gradually extends as part of the forward swing. Not the same as all the players who get arm barred early and then keep it that way.

While trying not to make a value judgment, I think Grigor is in common with Roger in this completely different philosophy of design, interest in which I detected in the posts of Don Brosseau and Ed Weiss, i.e., arm unfolds into the shot unlike a barred arm bandit like Wawrinka or Gasquet.
              Last edited by bottle; 08-07-2015, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Dimitrov's left hand is much more active in its role. His left palm is facing his target at contact. Not only coming forward and inside a bit past his left hip but then flailing outwards and behind him. His range of motion on the followthrough is impressive.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

The continental grip also gives a neutral wrist, almost flexed - unique among the current one-handers.

Comment

Is racquet face slightly closed at contact?

Comment

ms,

Good question and definitely.

Comment

Continental grip

This is pretty revolutionary, a continental grip? The only time I use this grip on this shot is when I am returning serve, and I fail to make the grip change on a first serve. One would have to be pretty tall, I believe, to use this grip. Not for us short folks dealing with a high bounce.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8225 users online. 7 members and 8218 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X