An interesting article...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting article...

I found this PDF on the internet when surfing for some background on Bob Brett's recent resignation from the LTA. I posted an excerpt below. I also posted a link to the full article. I found Bob Brett's interview insightful...interesting.

"In coaching for high performance, there is no single rule. There are some moments when it’s not appropriate to say something to a player. You may have to wait for another day for the right moment; you might have to wait a couple of months, look- ing for the opportunity when the information or feedback will be most impactful and meaningful. It’s about choosing the right moment for the player. Sometimes, a player just isn’t ready to hear it, and your words will be wasted if you insist on telling them straight away." - BOB BRETT

Stotty

Absolutely correct. It's not about what you know it's about how you impact your player with what you know. This ties in perfectly with the interview with Sven Groeneveld that is about to go up in the August issue.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      Absolutely correct. It's not about what you know it's about how you impact your player with what you know. This ties in perfectly with the interview with Sven Groeneveld that is about to go up in the August issue.
      Yes, it's the intelligent way to do it. It necessitates patience and requires the coach not to get ahead of himself and chomp at the bit.

I once read one of E.B. White's essays where he revealed he often percolated ideas for weeks, months, or even years before an essay or article would end up in print.

The concept appeals to me because I am definitely a man who percolates.
      Stotty

Comment

The player has to lock down his own game regardless of any distraction, or incoming data/info. Those who can do so under pressure, and it's wise to provide that during training, are the best who learn the fastest and buckle the least during tough matches. Kid gloves are for kids, not world class wannabees.

Comment

Great find Stotty!
          Love it.

Some great quotes from Bob brett. very useful.

I heard about his resignation a few weeks back following Wimbledon. Too bad. LTA lost another good one.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Next he has to come to San fran to train with me and John. Sounds like he already did see John, though. Three days here; Chez Pannisse, the French Laundry, Sushi Ran, stinson beach, bolinas, baker beach, muir beach/woods, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
              The player has to lock down his own game regardless of any distraction, or incoming data/info. Those who can do so under pressure, and it's wise to provide that during training, are the best who learn the fastest and buckle the least during tough matches. Kid gloves are for kids, not world class wannabees.
              Yup. Bang on.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9160 users online. 5 members and 9155 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X