What I Learned at Wimbledon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I Learned at Wimbledon

Woud love to hear your thoughts on "What I Learned at Wimbledon"!

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Woud love to hear your thoughts on "What I Learned at Wimbledon"!
    I have been going to Wimbledon for 38 years and every year is as much a thrill as the first year. I missed this year and two others but other than that...I have been up to every one.

The Brits are big on tradition. It's part of the royalty thing, and as such standards are VERY high when it comes to protocol. Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton was denied entrance the royal box this year for wearing a floral shirt...sent home. No one is exempt.

But it's tradition that stopped the grass courts becoming extinct. Had they been got rid of at Wimbledon, that would have been the end of them. God bless the Queen!

I get the mental moment thing...always have. Sometime (many times) it takes something very subtle and far less dramatic than what you witnessed to turn the course of a match. I was a hyper sensitive match player and it took very little to change the course of things. It took precious little for the wheels to come off. My problems were down mainly to nerves and lack of confidence. I believe there are many players like me. I am certainly not alone.

You see plenty of pro matches turn on a dime, for whatever reason..there can be so many reasons but usually they are rested in self belief issues, at least that's my take.

I have always admired steely players who play matches without nerves or panic...that's the thing...not to fret or panic. Having a good match temperament is a huge asset. I am not sure it can be taught.

Glad you enjoyed Wimbledon. It's probably the greatest venue on earth....not that I have been to the others.

How did you find spin levels and net clearance compared to the hard court events you have over there? Did you notice much difference?
    Last edited by stotty; 08-02-2015, 08:04 AM.
    Stotty

Comment

Stotty I think things were flatter in general but then we get to that same issue of the naked eye...

I also tink far more competitive players than not have the capacity to collapse like that. It was just so interesting to see it so close and to see such a dramatic reversal when everything was going Sela's way.

And don't get me wrong I love the tradition and thank God or the Queen or whomever that grass still exists there. My third trip. Hope to go back again!
      Last edited by johnyandell; 08-02-2015, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Too bad they let serena play with her bright red underwear, which was an insult to tradition.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7985 users online. 4 members and 7981 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X