Ripping calluses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripping calluses

I know all serious tennis players get calluses on their hands, but mine keep ripping and reforming. And the rips can get to be quite painful.
    I have a picture of my latest rip attached. Any ideas to help with this?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Here is the rest of my callused hand.
    Attached Files

Comment

Use skin adhering type bandages, and a tight glove when you play in the future on your hand. AS to why it's happening, you are one of the susceptible. Also the same type of bandage tape Nadal uses on his fingers/hand, to reduce friction on the areas, or duct tape works as well. Sorry to see it. Must hurt. https://www.google.com/search?q=skin...h06hvEwcBMM%3A

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
        Use skin adhering type bandages, and a tight glove when you play in the future on your hand. AS to why it's happening, you are one of the susceptible. Also the same type of bandage tape Nadal uses on his fingers/hand, to reduce friction on the areas, or duct tape works as well. Sorry to see it. Must hurt. https://www.google.com/search?q=skin...h06hvEwcBMM%3A
        It only hurts when it rips though...otherwise it's fine. Could it have something to do with the way I hold my racket? Not technical grip but more like which fingers and palm areas are applying pressure to the racket?

Would liquid bandage or athletic tape be fine for covering the calluses?
        Last edited by eaglesburg; 08-03-2015, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Use the ones in the picture, as liquid won't work, and athletic tape is a preventive, not a bandage.

Comment

Use the ones in the picture, as liquid won't work, and athletic tape is a preventive, not a bandage.
            Ok thanks. Sorry I didn't see the link before.
            Last edited by eaglesburg; 08-04-2015, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Should I get the fingers and toes one or just the general one? Also I don't know if I would be able to use those very time I play...it would get very expensive. What kind of tape could I use that doesn't slip especially when sweaty? How about this?
              Last edited by eaglesburg; 08-04-2015, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I don't know about that. Duct tape is cheap, but it will stick and hurt to remove. Athletic tape first, and then duct tape would be better.

Comment

As an oarsman and former crew coach I have to be interested in this: http://pennstatehershey.adam.com/con...d=1&gid=001232

The part about rowing attracts me most, but I sympathize thoroughly since a blister is a blister.

I'll just say that as the article points out, the oarsman (in most cases) develops permanent calluses after which there are no more blisters.

It's a happy state of being.

How one gets there can be difficult, but I can remember all the blisters I had in the beginning, and how-- for me-- what worked best was not traditional skin hardeners like alum and aluminum but merthiolate over iodine and other briefly painful stuff to simply guard against infection.

Once in a while we would stick a needle in at the edge to drain the fluid. Bandages, tapes, etc., might work a little, but sooner or later one did better by just rowing with naked flesh.

Easy to say, I know. And works a lot better for some than others. But one has to discover for oneself just when one can go ahead and use a bare hand.
                  One layer hardens and comes off. The next layer hardens. Maybe the painful part has shrunken a little this time! If so, one could be on the right track.

Once one gets past the transition one has permanent ("lifetime" oarsmen say) calluses and never need worry again unless gripping the instrument in a radically different way that creates new pressure and friction points.

I believe in this lifetime callus idea and in fact think that my lifetime calluses from rowing have kept me from ever developing a blister in tennis-- well, hardly ever.
                  Last edited by bottle; 08-08-2015, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                    As an oarsman and former crew coach I have to be interested in this: http://pennstatehershey.adam.com/con...d=1&gid=001232

The part about rowing attracts me most, but I sympathize thoroughly since a blister is a blister.

I'll just say that as the article points out, the oarsman (in most cases) develops permanent calluses after which there are no more blisters.

It's a happy state of being.

How one gets there can be difficult, but I can remember all the blisters I had in the beginning, and how-- for me-- what worked best was not traditional skin hardeners like alum and aluminum but merthiolate over iodine and other briefly painful stuff to simply guard against infection.

Once in a while we would stick a needle in at the edge to drain the fluid. Bandages, tapes, etc., might work a little, but sooner or later one did better by just rowing with naked flesh.

Easy to say, I know. And works a lot better for some than others. But one has to discover for oneself just when one can go ahead and use a bare hand.
                    One layer hardens and comes off. The next layer hardens. Maybe the painful part has shrunken a little this time! If so, one could be on the right track.

Once one gets past the transition one has permanent ("lifetime" oarsmen say) calluses and never need worry again unless gripping the instrument in a radically different way that creates new pressure and friction points.

I believe in this lifetime callus idea and in fact think that my lifetime calluses from rowing have kept me from ever developing a blister in tennis-- well, hardly ever.
                    Makes me feel much better! I never really had fluid filled blisters, just ripped skin. And it rips. Again. And again. But it's not the same one every time, it's different ones. Hopefully they eventually harden up enough that they never rip.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8221 users online. 8 members and 8213 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X