Roscoe Tanner Serve again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roscoe Tanner Serve again....

I saw Roscoe Tanner playing mid-70's in Wimbeldon on one of the outside courts and was very close by. His delivery remains one of the most impressive for me, even after all of these years.

What intrigues me is that despite very little knee bend, shoulder turn, not lifting up much on impact, his delivery was so very blindingly fast. He would just toss the ball up low and well ahead, fast concerted wind-up and wham!

I remember his saying in an interview for Tennis magazine years back, that he found it very easy to do, and never got tired from serving.

It seemed so elegant and so efficient biomechanically. Why was it never emulated?

Originally posted by gzhpcu
    I saw Roscoe Tanner playing mid-70's in Wimbeldon on one of the outside courts and was very close by. His delivery remains one of the most impressive for me, even after all of these years.

What intrigues me is that despite very little knee bend, shoulder turn, not lifting up much on impact, his delivery was so very blindingly fast. He would just toss the ball up low and well ahead, fast concerted wind-up and wham!

I remember his saying in an interview for Tennis magazine years back, that he found it very easy to do, and never got tired from serving.

It seemed so elegant and so efficient biomechanically. Why was it never emulated?
    Low, compact, quick, and ARCHING TOSS made the Roscoe Tanner powerful. No arching toss and I dont think Roscoe would have been as effective - still an extremely powerful serve but not "as" powerful.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8056 users online. 3 members and 8053 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X