Best viewing for a tennis match...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best viewing for a tennis match...

I found this clip of Borg v Gottfried. The picture is clear and watchable and may interest any aficionados out there.

If the match isn't of interest to you, the viewing angle might be. The camera set a little lower than most matches you see on TV these days. You really feel you are in the match with the players. I prefer it.

Stotty

good find. The camera angle is nice. Get a sense of the speed of not just the ball, but the players. And Borg was fast.

Funny thing. That tournament was held in Boca Raton at a club called Boca West. I live right down the street from the club and my own facility is about 7 minutes up the road. Boca West is the largest and finest club in the state of Florida and ranked #5 in the country. It is obviously much different now than when this match was played but but today the club has over 6,000 members, 4 championship Golf Courses, 31 tennis courts and on 1400 acres in the middle of Boca Raton.

They always host pro exhibitions and USTA Pro circuit wild card events. They can always attract big names in for a hit and giggle with members. Philippoussis and Ivanisevic came in last year along with a few older legends of the game. They are working on a deal or may have already inked one earlier in the year with a top ranked ATP player that has won a grand slam this year to be the resident "Touring Pro". That includes the use of a high end luxury condo on site.

I'm good friends with the Director of Tennis there. It is a first class club that runs a first class program.
    Here's the website...
    http://www.bocawestcc.org/Default.as...d=320340&vnf=1

Sorry, didn't mean to detour on topic of thread but found it amusing to see Boca West as the site.
    Trivia: Boca West Country Club was the original site of what is now known as the Miami Open, that big Masters 1000 event in Key Biscayne. Before it was the Lipton, the Ericsson, The Nasdaq-100, then Sony Ericsson.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Last edited by klacr; 08-21-2015, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      good find. The camera angle is nice. Get a sense of the speed of not just the ball, but the players. And Borg was fast.

Funny thing. That tournament was held in Boca Raton at a club called Boca West. I live right down the street from the club and my own facility is about 7 minutes up the road. Boca West is the largest and finest club in the state of Florida and ranked #5 in the country. It is obviously much different now than when this match was played but but today the club has over 6,000 members, 4 championship Golf Courses, 31 tennis courts and on 1400 acres in the middle of Boca Raton.

They always host pro exhibitions and USTA Pro circuit wild card events. They can always attract big names in for a hit and giggle with members. Philippoussis and Ivanisevic came in last year along with a few older legends of the game. They are working on a deal or may have already inked one earlier in the year with a top ranked ATP player that has won a grand slam this year to be the resident "Touring Pro". That includes the use of a high end luxury condo on site.

I'm good friends with the Director of Tennis there. It is a first class club that runs a first class program.
      Here's the website...
      http://www.bocawestcc.org/Default.as...d=320340&vnf=1

Sorry, didn't mean to detour on topic of thread but found it amusing to see Boca West as the site.
      Trivia: Boca West Country Club was the original site of what is now known as the Miami Open, that big Masters 1000 event in Key Biscayne. Before it was the Lipton, the Ericsson, The Nasdaq-100, then Sony Ericsson.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      I think I went to that event in spring of '76 when I was teaching at Harder Hall Resort in Sebring. Warren Woodcock was the pro and it was his event. I thought the actual Lipton was thought to have really been originated by Buckholtz at the Laver Resort in Delray Beach about '82. Was it actually an outgrowth of this earlier event? Did Buckholtz take it over from Woodcock?

don

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        I found this clip of Borg v Gottfried. The picture is clear and watchable and may interest any aficionados out there.

If the match isn't of interest to you, the viewing angle might be. The camera set a little lower than most matches you see on TV these days. You really feel you are in the match with the players. I prefer it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLvYeAAZBI4
        Imagine if you had to play any of today's players and you were not allowed to hit with significant topspin (which was the case for 95 out of 100 of the rest of the players in the late 70's), but could only hit flat, slice or slightly topspin shots. That was the dilemma facing Borg's opponents.

don

Comment

I like this viewing angle even more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0dgmQir4-o

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
            I think I went to that event in spring of '76 when I was teaching at Harder Hall Resort in Sebring. Warren Woodcock was the pro and it was his event. I thought the actual Lipton was thought to have really been originated by Buckholtz at the Laver Resort in Delray Beach about '82. Was it actually an outgrowth of this earlier event? Did Buckholtz take it over from Woodcock?

don
            Don,

The Lipton Championships were begun by Butch Buchholz. He called it the winter slam as the original event was held in February.
            It began at Laver's resort in 1985 but was only held there the first year, it then moved to larger grounds on Boca West, which attracted a large audience and media then it was eventually moved to the Miami area.

Trivia: The tournament's first referee was Alan Mills. The same Alan Mills who was the Top Wimbledon Referee.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

You get to see the decision making of the players more clearly through their net cle

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
              Imagine if you had to play any of today's players and you were not allowed to hit with significant topspin (which was the case for 95 out of 100 of the rest of the players in the late 70's), but could only hit flat, slice or slightly topspin shots. That was the dilemma facing Borg's opponents.

don
              I think the match in many ways says a lot. You sense the writing may have been on the wall right there and then for milder grips. Borg has Gottfried firmly in his back pocket on that kind of surface and much of that might be to Borg’s grip and topspin he produced with it. As you suggest, imagine having to slice forehands back like Gottfried is doing all afternoon? Borg’s net clearance is so much higher and risk so much lower. You can see how he must've been a nightmare to play on clay during his short career.

It's really great to see Borg moving like that, blanketing the court. He’s equally comfortable moving both forwards and laterally rather like Murray is today. Djokovic and Nadal are better at moving laterally than forwards in my view, but you would expect that I guess given the way the game is played today.

I do like the angle of the camera during the match. The entire width of the court is captured plus you are getting an eye level view. You get to see the decision making of the players more clearly through their net clearance and better perspective of pace. It's just so much more realistic for the spectator.
              Last edited by stotty; 08-22-2015, 02:34 AM.
              Stotty

Comment

I like the views…looking down on a tennis court

Great comments from klacr about the Boca Raton tennis scene. tennis_chiro was there live on the scene. He was everywhere it seems. But it's easy to look down our noses at Brian Gottfried. I remember Gottfried…he really lifted the level of his game for a couple of years there and he was giving everyone a run for their money. He was an incredible doubles player for many years. Here on the clay he is a bit overmatched against the rock on the baseline but he shows some incredible tactical acumen trying to neutralize the relative merits of their respective games with some slice off of the forehand and such. His backhand was really solid and he was really moving Borg around with the slice at times. He was overmatched for certain but he had some alternative tactics for the Swede. The kind of thing you don't see nowadays. Brian playing with that icon of all tennis racquets…the Wilson Jack Kramer Autograph. Playing with the wood was a different game. Artistry was still in vogue.

Here is the best view for any match that does not include Roger Federer in this "modern age" of tennis. The highlight video…so that you don't have to suffer through the terminal long rallies absent of just about any sort of variety in tactic or game plan that doesn't include the long baseline rally…with rather mediocre serving.

With regards to this example of the "best view"…I care not a twit about camera angles. It is all about definition and clarity. I love the comments and ensuing discussions after viewing older tennis matches. Invariably some ignorant tennis junkie is under the impression that they didn't know how to play tennis back in the old days.

The comment about the "lubricated strings" was rather interesting. It's true. Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker were interesting but I remember thinking at the time that the game had become disgustingly fast. The subtlety was disappearing and the game had become basically one of "Hammer Time" serve and volley which is only slightly more interesting than the modern day long terminal rallies.

@ juanjeremy2012. Once again you demonstrate to all the viewers of tennis videos on YouTube.com. your total lack of analytical ability, lack of tennis knowledge, and lack of understanding of grammatically proper English when you stupidly assert that Becker and Edberg ''aren't anywhere near as good as guys like Federer and Nadal. They make way more unforced errors, don't hit nearly as hard, are not as athletic, and don't hit as many spectacular shots''. Lubricated strings which were unavailable during Becker and Edberg's era are the reason that the current players make less unforced errors than players of previous eras because studies have proven that lubricated strings allow players to put 20% more spin on the ball than regular, non-lubricated strings. Becker and Edberg hit just as many spectacular shots as any of the current players on the men's pro tennis tour and Becker without any doubt whatsoever, hit the ball harder than Federer or Nadal! Knowledgeable, analytical viewers of tennis videos on YouTube.com. get a good laugh every time you post one of your uninformed, moronic comments!

I remember watching Jimmy Connors and Adriano Pannata in 1978 at the U. S. Open from the very top row of Arthur Ashe Stadium before it was Arthur Ashe Stadium…high as a kite. Literally. Feeling no pain. I will never forget this point for as long as I live. It was the most incredible shot that I have ever seen live in person. The perspective from way up there was sublime. Connors was just down and dirty fighting to get this one in the barn. Nobody did it better.

It was a BEAUTIFULLY played tennis match. I saw Adriano Panatta practicing on the back courts the day before and I had never seen him before. This was guy was handsome and his game matched his looks. Smooth and elegant…a sophisticated clay courter who could also serve and volley his way around the court. Watching him practice was a sublime moment…I said to my buddies that "this guy could beat Connors tomorrow". He nearly did and would have had it not been for this heroic effort by Connors.

Last edited by don_budge; 08-22-2015, 06:51 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I watched the entire match today...really enjoyed it. The umpire is amazing. She is the only umpire I have come across who "sings" the score out...love it...sounds like something out of 2001: A Space Odyssey

Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8022 users online. 3 members and 8019 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X