Remembering past points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering past points

Why do pro tennis players seem to be able to remember so many points that they have previously played? I can't seem to remember a single one! Is this bad or just normal? I can somewhat recall days that I was playing really well on but not the actually shots or points. And also when I visualize it is hard for me to do first person...I naturally use third person, viewing myself from the outside.

Thanks!
    Last edited by eaglesburg; 09-05-2015, 09:05 AM.

Originally posted by eaglesburg View Post
    Why do pro tennis players seem to be able to remember so many points that they have previously played? I can't seem to remember a single one! Is this bad or just normal? I can somewhat recall days that I was playing really well on but not the actually shots or points. And also when I visualize it is hard for me to do first person...I naturally use third person, viewing myself from the outside.

Thanks!
    I would say you are unusual. Most tennis players (competitive ones at least) can remember the key points of a match, sometimes even for years after. I remember matches, points and shots I played thirty years ago....visually, by a process of re-enaction.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      I would say you are unusual. Most tennis players (competitive ones at least) can remember the key points of a match, sometimes even for years after. I remember matches, points and shots I played thirty years ago....visually, by a process of re-enaction.
      I remember some good isolated shots, but not many, and zero bad shots. However, I can't remember a single full point, although I can remember some good days and bad days. (I can remember how the days felt, and occasionally some good shots, but never an entire point-does that make sense?)

Could this possibly be related to learning styles? When I memorize things for school, I usually don't see the page in front of me; I just know it. (And it works...gifted and good grades). So that tells me that I am not that visual. How can I found out for sure?

Do you think it might just be a lack of awareness and "staying in the present"?

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesburg View Post
        I remember some good isolated shots, but not many, and zero bad shots. However, I can't remember a single full point, although I can remember some good days and bad days. (I can remember how the days felt, and occasionally some good shots, but never an entire point-does that make sense?)

Could this possibly be related to learning styles? When I memorize things for school, I usually don't see the page in front of me; I just know it. (And it works...gifted and good grades). So that tells me that I am not that visual. How can I found out for sure?

Do you think it might just be a lack of awareness and "staying in the present"?
        Memorising has limited uses; much better to understand instead. A good scholar understands and relies less on memory.

I am know some people learn best through visual instruction, some kinaesthetically; some verbally. It depends on the individual as to which they are most receptive to.

I think you need to rely on your own intuition as to how you learn/remember the best. When I learn anything I like to be shown combined with good verbal instruction...words are important to me.

I know some people don't visualise too well. Some people cannot remember faces well and need to see a face many times before they recognise it. Maybe you are one of these types?

My memory is very visual. I conjure up a "mental video" when remembering games and points played in the past.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          Memorising has limited uses; much better to understand instead. A good scholar understands and relies less on memory.

I am know some people learn best through visual instruction, some kinaesthetically; some verbally. It depends on the individual as to which they are most receptive to.

I think you need to rely on your own intuition as to how you learn/remember the best. When I learn anything I like to be shown combined with good verbal instruction...words are important to me.

I know some people don't visualise too well. Some people cannot remember faces well and need to see a face many times before they recognise it. Maybe you are one of these types?

My memory is very visual. I conjure up a "mental video" when remembering games and points played in the past.
          The reason I was really asking this question is the awareness. Am I not remembering because I'm just like that or because I'm not really in the moment? I will try to be more aware on my next hit and see how it goes.

With faces I have trouble visualizing them in my head. but when I see someone, I know who it is...never had trouble with that aspect.

I do not know if this is relevant but my iq test showed high scores mostly in logic areas. In memory above average but not nearly as good.

If I had to guess I would say I am less visual and more verbal compared to most people. Like you I prefer the verbal supplements when learning. Sometimes I talk to myself when studying and I also walk around sometimes.
          However at the same time for example when teachers give verbal instructions in class I tend to forget them a lot. So I think that my verbal understanding is good but not my verbal memory. On the concussion test, my verbal memory showed up as first percentile (and I'm supposed to be gifted!). On the other hand,again, I do not usually remember things in pictures I kind of just know them. I do not see the paper I studied from, I just know the content.

About the point of view aspect...I think I have it figured out. When I focus on myself it is third person but when I focus on something else it is first person.
          When you practice visualization, which should you focus on? The first person in which you would focus more on technique and the stroke and how you hit the ball, or third person where you focus simply on the speed spin and placement of the ball?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7886 users online. 5 members and 7881 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X