• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the Tennis Gods Move: Balance

Let's discuss Daniel McCain's "How the Tennis Gods Move: Balance"

There is only one…"God"

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post

There is only one "God" in the Tennis World…as there is in the Christian World.

Tennis is a game of balance and energy…is the first thing that I say to every beginner.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Glad to see Dan McCain contribute to this website. I had a feeling that Dan's work would be perfect for the tennisplayer.net reader.
      Balance and speed certainly can make or break a player. When evaluating players it is usually the first thing a good coach notices. There is no coincidence that the greatest players in the history of the game also happened to be incredibly adept at movement, speed, balance.

And yeah, don_budge is right, Federer is pretty special. The best I've ever seen when it comes to speed, balance, agility, fluidity and every other trait it takes to be a great player.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Not getting the Harrison Novak discussion. Novak uses the same mogel a percentage of the time. To evaluate I think you need to show Novak in same stance. I don't agree with your lurching assessment I don't see loss of balance. Can you clarify how you are looking at these backhands. Thanks

Comment

Agreed on both points Bobby Swift.

I actually see Ryan doing a good job on this particular shot under pressure. A slight tilt forward to accelerate, but then he quickly gets his shoulders back up and over his hips...

Comment

It seems Bobby Swift and 10splayer are right. There are some really good examples in this clip of Ryan keeping excellent posture on his backhand, and when under a lot of pressure. I don't know Ryan's game too well, but holding posture on his backhand seems like a strongpoint if anything.

I have to say, though, Novak's footwork, balance and posture is just about the best out there. He seems to be able to keep a vertical core in virtually ever situation that crops up.
            Stotty

Comment

Guys,

It's probably me. I actually agree with Dan but couldn't find a great example in the footage. (I know how could that be possible--we have everyone right??) But don't have much of Ryan. I will try to find some more clips and post here.

Love the way you guys are on it. Leaving Ryan out of it, what do you think about the general points?

Comment

Love the way you guys are on it. Leaving Ryan out of it, what do you think about the general points?
                The general points are excellent. I have the book which is excellent also. I actually think the ability to get into position is one of the key things that separates one player from another...even at top level. The Big four are the best movers, the best balanced, and have great posture on the ball.

One thing that gets reinforced throughout the article when looking at the clips, is that a player's core needs to be strong and able stand up to impact. If I were a top player in today's came, I would work on those core muscles...a lot.
                Last edited by stotty; 09-07-2015, 01:55 PM.
                Stotty

Comment

Glad you like the book stotty. Had a feeling you would.

As for comparison between the Djokovic and Harrison shots, I do see a difference. The best players in the world are also the best movers. Not a coincidence.
                  Here is a more similar shot of Djokovic in comparison to Harrison. You see the difference more clearly in this. Djokovic posture, dynamic balance, shoulder turn, rotation and momentum into the shot.
                  http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...1%20500fps.mp4

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

The Novak Djokovic Backhand…The Balance

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    I have to say, though, Novak's footwork, balance and posture is just about the best out there. He seems to be able to keep a vertical core in virtually ever situation that crops up.
                    "Novak hits the great majority of his backhands with the closed stance - a characteristic of the best two – handers (Click Here). Ryan on the other hand hits a large percentage of his backhands open stance, which is a byproduct of his lack of dynamic balance."

Aside from the one illustration video of both Ryan Harrison and Novak Djokovic it is clear as to why Djokovic is so superior off of the backhand side. His footwork is impeccable…and therefor the weight transfer is too. He does hit off of the front foot whenever possible and his weight is most efficiently transferred into the ball based on his ability to maintain his balance. The point of his chest is directly over his front foot…more often than not. I believe that McCain is correct in asserting that the open stance is a byproduct of a lack of balance.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 09-07-2015, 09:51 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

More Ryan Harrison Backhand Video. Let’s add this video to the discussion:

Comment

Djokovic vs. Harrison

Hello to all,

Thx for reading the article! I am honored to have a place in this magazine & humbled by the opportunity to share my ideas that John Yandell has given me.

All of these thoughts stimulate great conversation! Here are a few thoughts of my own to add:

While I did not actively choose the videos that John Yandell was kind enough to place into the article, I would like to offer up the videos that the content in the article - as well as the content in my book - was specifically written about.

The link below shows a 2-handed backhand slow motion video comparison of "The Djoker & the Journeyman,"which is the name of one of the chapters in my book, "How the Tennis Gods Move." The side by side videos not only present a similar camera angle, they also show each player placed in very similar situations during points. So they give us a chance to observe & analyze in an "apples to apples" scenario.

Feel free to subscribe to my Youtube channel that the link takes you - there's a ton of videos on movement, anticipation, trunk rotation, balance & momentum, as well as slow motion comparisons of the pros. Many of the videos display ideal movement patterns, as well as less than ideal.

By scouring the depths of the internet, we can all find examples of players moving well & moving poorly. In my book, the individual clips / examples I chose for Djokovic & Harrison serve as larger representations of the habits that they both exhibit; therefore explaining in large part why the Djoker is one of the all time greatest players ever & why Harrison bounces around the the ATP rankings from 60 to 200.

Movement is linked to every aspect of the game. It affects shot selection & choices & stroke execution in every imaginable way. These 2 players exhibit habits we can all learn from - for better & for worse - at least in these instances. By mapping out ideal movement preparation, balance & momentum - & then juxtaposing it with less than ideal execution of these movement fundamentals - we can all see more clearly. We can see how movement & balance can affect swing shapes & contact points, as well as potentially cause or prevent injuries.

Ultimately, evaluating movement can help us see causes of technical issues, rather than ineffectively diagnosing symptoms. It can enable players to have more time & composure to hit the shots they want, fully utilize the geometry of the court, & access their most brilliant selves on court.

To evaluate movement, I use the BIOMEC method. BIOMEC is an acronym, & the "B" stands for Balance.

Thx again for a fun discussion -

Daniel McCain

Comment

Dan, that link comes up as private, at least for me. Like to see it! Dan what to you think of the balance in Harrison's backhands in the clips I added.

And btw maybe I can learn something here! Happy to be wrong (I am right so much of the time...) but seriously it is better to be accurate than consistent, so I look forward to more discussion here...

Comment

Link is now public

Sorry for the mistake - the link is now active & viewable to the public.

Here is the link again -

Comment

This isn't balance issue it is awareness. Doesn't read the ball it drops more than he would like and what you see is compensation, Just my opinion.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2276 users online. 10 members and 2266 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X