Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Locker Room Power?

Let's get your thoughts on David Sammel's, "What Is Locker Room Power?"

Charisma…coupled with an aura of invincibility.

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    I remember being in the locker room at the 1984 U. S. Open before the John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors semifinal at night. It was Jimmy…all Jimmy before the match.

After their match, I remember being there and I was coming down the stairs after using the bathroom…feeling no pain afterwards. First I passed Cheryl Tiegs and then it was Jack Nicholson. His eyes were as white as milk. Then I found myself face to face with John McEnroe. After five gruelling sets with Connors he was lit up like a Christmas Tree. He was positively glowing.

What is Locker Room Power? It's charisma…coupled with an aura of invincibility. There was a third player in the locker room that day with Locker Room Power…it was Ivan Lendl who had beaten Pat Cash in the other semifinal. Lendl may have lacked a little of the perceived charisma…but he was soon to make up for it with his aura of invincibility.

These days there is really only one player with any real Locker Room Power…he also has the Press Room Power and the Tennis Court Power. After him we have a short list of pretenders.
    Last edited by don_budge; 09-05-2015, 10:47 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Aura

I have mixed feelings about this one:

If you win a lot, you will have locker room power, by default. It's linked to winning the lion's share of matches you play. Just win a lot and you will have locker room power. There really isn't much more to it than that.

The psychology of BIG matches is an entirely different thing. Two incidents come to my mind that I personally witnessed:

1) Boris Becker deliberately bumping into a nervous Kevin Curren at one of the changeovers in their Wimbledon final. That had an effect I can tell you.

2) Boris kept Stich waiting as he did Henman. But the look of disdain Michael Stich gave Becker prior to the toss of the coin in their Wimbledon final said a lot. "I'm not afraid". "I don't think you're all that good". "I am very confident I am going to win". This was Stich's subtext.

Go to 2:22 on the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x2IhBWty5A
      Last edited by stotty; 09-20-2015, 01:22 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

"If looks could kill..." I guess they did.

Comment

My thought is that this is analogous to Jim Loehr's concept of fake it til it's real. It is well known in psychology that self-programming works.

Comment

From the author

I apologise for the late post. The book outlines a formula for LRP which is Desire+Belief+Weapons+Results=LRP so you are correct in saying there has to be substance behind the aura. However the proof of LRP is in how other players react - buy in or counter (Stich) who when his Dad said 'enjoy it son you have nothing to lose' responded 'are you nuts - I have a Wimbledon title to play for'

LRP is subtle and at the same time in your face. Becker in the media 'there is no way me, McEnroe, Lendl or Connnors would have taken the SABR without responding' - for sure he primed Novak to not get mentally affected and Roger would know this which affected his use of the tactic. Another reader quotes 'fake it until you make it' which again works to a point - have to be improving all the time so others feel the mission. Athletes on a mission are noticed and when results follow so does fear.

If you win a lot, you will have locker room power, by default. It's linked to winning the lion's share of matches you play. Just win a lot and you will have locker room power. There really isn't much more to it than that.

The psychology of BIG matches is an entirely different thing. Two incidents come to my mind that I personally witnessed:

1) Boris Becker deliberately bumping into a nervous Kevin Curren at one of the changeovers in their Wimbledon final. That had an effect I can tell you.

2) Boris kept Stich waiting as he did Henman. But the look of disdain Michael Stich gave Becker prior to the toss of the coin in their Wimbledon final said a lot. "I'm not afraid". "I don't think you're all that good". "I am very confident I am going to win". This was Stich's subtext.

Go to 2:22 on the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x2IhBWty5A[/QUOTE]
            Stotty

Comment

Appreciation

I want to thank John for his excellent interpretation of parts of my book. Appreciation is one of the pillars of my Academy and both players and coaches are encouraged to show gratitude for the help of others. Like LRP the benefits are felt but equally it is not measurable. However we all know when we have mentally improved and this in turn translates into better results.

I encourage players and coaches to read the book and get other gems to help confidence like learning how to seperate belief from confidence, how to tackle introversion and many other topics affecting the mind and your ability to compete. It is fantastic that we live in an age where so much knowledge can be edited into user friendly environments online such as John's site. John's passion for the game shines thru like a beacon of light and the reason it is such a pleasure to collaborate. Well done.

Comment

Fake it until you become it! - LRP and power posing

My thought is that this is analogous to Jim Loehr's concept of fake it til it's real. It is well known in psychology that self-programming works.
                There is concrete evidence now that the way people carry themselves physically affects the way they think mentally. I would like to add to what John has said with a slight twist on the 'fake it till it's real' or the 'fake it till you make it' slogans. I quite like 'fake it till you become it' because ultimately this is really what learning is all about. None of us know how to do it until we actually can, so we may as well adopt the body language, which is easier to monitor and in so doing help our minds adapt to the belief that we can become what our bodies are showing. Locker Room Power is an aura - a statement of power and therefore anybody with locker room power will demonstrate this by the way they carry themselves which will include classic power poses. The way they sit, walk and position themselves when they address the media will reflect their belief and inner power. The power poses become more natural and relaxed the greater the success until it is just them.

Comment

In recounting the classic match at the Forest Hills final in 1949 between Gonzalez and Schroeder in "Tennis" by William Grimsley:

Pancho recalled afterward that Schroeder had a way of "psyching him" before a big match. They often changed clothes in the same dressing room.
                  Schroeder, an outgoing, talkative personality, would walk over to Pancho and say:
                  "Hello Pancho."
                  "Hi, Ted," Gonzales, then a quiet, introverted type responded.
                  "Good day for tennis".
                  "Yeah."
                  "You know I am going to beat you again, Pancho..."
                  There went the scar catching fire again."

Comment

From what we know from Gar's series, it sounds exactly like the same Ted Schroeder...I wonder if he was amusing at times or just 100% annoying.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2751 users online. 2 members and 2749 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X