Usta tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usta tournaments

How important is it for me to play in Usta tourneys as a junior? Important enough that I should drive ~two hours one way the nearest one?
    Last edited by eaglesburg; 09-13-2015, 08:58 AM.

At some point, you gotta take your strokes and test them against your peers. What fun is it having a Porsche in your garage if you can't go out and drive it?
    How good is a stroke if it doesn't hold up under pressure and in match situations?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      At some point, you gotta take your strokes and test them against your peers. What fun is it having a Porsche in your garage if you can't go out and drive it?
      How good is a stroke if it doesn't hold up under pressure and in match situations?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      But are USTAs worth the driving distance over just playing a few local tournaments and playing matches with people I know?

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesburg View Post
        How important is it for me to play in Usta tourneys as a junior? Important enough that I should drive ~two hours one way the nearest one?
        Tournaments are important if you are looking to improve your matchplay. Many players are happier playing recreational tennis. It's down to the individual. Tournaments are where you find out what works and what doesn't, which strokes stand up to scrutiny and which don't...and whether you yourself stand up. Tournaments can be a great benchmark for letting you know where you truly stand in relation to others.

The trick is to make sure you enjoy them and not to get too wrapped up winning and losing aspect. Better to enjoy the battle and take everything in your stride...like Federer.

"Show me a moaner and I will show you a loser" was a quote from a great friend of mine now no longer with us. Go to any junior tournament and you will hear lots of moaners and racket throwers and players that aren't enjoying themselves one bit.

So no moaning, eaglesburg...just play.
        Last edited by stotty; 09-13-2015, 01:35 PM.
        Stotty

Comment

It just depends on your goals. If you want to find out how good you are and how could you can be, definitely tournaments are the path. High school tennis is also fantastic and a great compliment to that under the right circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            It just depends on your goals. If you want to find out how good you are and how could you can be, definitely tournaments are the path. High school tennis is also fantastic and a great compliment to that under the right circumstances.
            A USTA tournament two hours away can be a bit of a commitment. But perhaps wait for one closer one, plan on it far in advance and set improvement goals for yourself to get ready for the test of live match play.

I do agree with John about high school tennis. I had the privilege and honor of being a high school tennis coach during my college days in Michigan. It was a blast and a learning experience. The team had some great competition amongst themselves and other schools in area, you were part of the team, and best news is, it was free and local competition. That is a great tool for your game as well as a big aid socially in meeting your peers and testing the waters with them. There must be kids at your high school on the team that are willing to play. Compete and practice with them and if you think that you can handle your own then move onto USTA events. Chances are, the top player at your high school may play USTA tournaments, if so, that's a good gauge of level.

Question you need to ask yourself, What do you want out of the game of tennis? Where are you trying to take it? How would you like to make the most of your passion for the sport? It's ok, there is no wrong answer.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice! I will give it some thought.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2331 users online. 8 members and 2323 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X