No announcement yet.

Borg's speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look guys, we are on a forum. We do not personally know (with a few exceptions.. ) the posters, especially the majority of which are just known via a forum name. We have no way of knowing if personal information posted is valid or not. Most posters (with exceptions like John, Kyle and a few more) have a code name, not their real name.

So maybe it is just best to leave personalities out of it, and get back to discussing tennis technical issues.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
      Borg made a good decision to play tennis. Hockey was super competitive in Sweden in the 70's and 80's, and I am not sure he'd have the propensity for speed and lateral quickness required to play the game at an Olympic level. And, yes, it is a tough sport with no rule book and Borg is a bit light, frail and top heavy, not an especially good combination for a hockey player. So, yes, it was a superb choice for him, I agree. Hockey isn't for everyone.
      I am going to give an opinion about the topic of you thread. Try not to go off on one because it is my opinion and nothing more. You've made your point many times about ice hockey players being much better athletes than tennis players. You clearly know your stuff when it comes to ice hockey and I am not going to question that.

I do know tennis, however. I don't need to have produced a world-class player to be knowledgeable about tennis. I have played the game for many years to a reasonable level. I have also played sets and matches against players who played in the main draw at Wimbledon. So I know about standards and what it's like to play someone who can really play. I don't know everything about tennis but I know enough.

Tennis movement has little to do with sprinting. I doubt Roger or Novak sprint all that well or all that fast. Yet they move extraordinarily well and are exceptionally fast on a tennis court. It's tough to move better than they do, or better than Borg for that matter. All three are quite exceptional movers on a tennis court.

Wayne could be an awful mover on a tennis court, or he may have been decent. He never played tennis so we just don't know. It's a specific business.

The key thing when teaching tennis movement is this: The first thing a player must do after the split step is open the hip and fire the hip rotators. This allows him to balance his weight and thrust forwards with power. Players who don't do this naturally can significantly improve both their movement and balance by learning the concept. It's the lynchpin. Even players who do this naturally can often improve on it in given scenarios.

Tennis movement has been widely studied and researched extensively. Federer, Djokovic and Borg are awesome movers...off the charts. And each has an innate quality to his movement also...his own stamp. Borg gets off to a dreadful start in your clip. On a tennis court, however, he was perhaps the fastest accelerator the game has had...flat out in half a yard.

Tennis movement is all about footwork patterns and various types of steps...and of course the given player's natural athletic ability.

This is just my opinion. Take it or leave it. I don't want a punch up with you. I am just stating my opinion and leaving it at that.
      Last edited by stotty; 09-22-2015, 01:30 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

I don't want to be around individuals who are promoting Bill Tilden.

Thats enough.

Your being ignored don_budge.

Tennis will evolve in a big way in the next 6-9 years, guaranteed. Its slow, un-athletic and light years behind other mainstream sports. Right now their is anger, denial, fear of the unknown, confusion and fads like the gravity step in the tennis developmental system.

Watch, someone comes along in the next 5-9 years with a new style their will be a major crisis! Only then will tennis embrace (and accept) proper athletic developmental models used by coaches across the board in every sport.

I think their is a major revolution in the sport that is just around the corner.

Comment

Think I proved my point.

Comment

Quit trolling, and being a keyboard warrior and go back to the drawing board and show the tennis world you are capable of developing a world class players instead of yapping on this message board.

Really, I do it every day.

You don't.
            What world class players have you developed?

Videos please.

Comment

And he is the slowest hockey player who beat the fastest tennis player. And, 42 year old Pele faster than Borg on three steps after five years out of the game. Footwork is so important in tennis. Its not bragging. Its just good fundamentals. I don't think their is enough emphasis on it.
              Tennis is not just speed, it is anticipation. Why is Federer so good? Because he anticipates so well. This more than makes up for a speed differential with younger players.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                Tennis is not just speed, it is anticipation. Why is Federer so good? Because he anticipates so well. This more than makes up for a speed differential with younger players.
                This is a developmental site. You want to develop a player to their maximum potential in terms of functional movement (speed). The areas of weaknesses in Borg's sprints will show up in every facet of his game, and his strokes. That sprint showed why Gretzky was the best in a game setting.

You want to teach athlete them how to effectively use speed in all scenarios, so its effective field speed. Intelligent feet, lead to smart hands, and the ability to put yourself into the best scenarios to win points with poise, pace, rhythm, balance and of course, the ability to get to what is going to be your next in the 1-3-5-7, and 2-4-6-8 equations on the court which need to have proper flow.

The sport of tennis is due for a major evolution.

Right now, the athletes in this sport are light years behind other sports.

Comment

Pot bellied Pigs...Björn Borg vs. Ivan Lendl

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
                  https://youtu.be/gNxvpV3lzuU

Think I proved my point.
                  Yep…the pot bellied are the best movers and the cutest. Except for the one that got disoriented at the end of the race.

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                  I am going to give an opinion about the topic of you thread. Try not to go off on one because it is my opinion and nothing more. You've made your point many times about ice hockey players being much better athletes than tennis players. You clearly know your stuff when it comes to ice hockey and I am not going to question that.

I do know tennis, however. I don't need to have produced a world-class player to be knowledgeable about tennis. I have played the game for many years to a reasonable level. I have also played sets and matches against players who played in the main draw at Wimbledon. So I know about standards and what it's like to play someone who can really play. I don't know everything about tennis but I know enough.

Tennis movement has little to do with sprinting. I doubt Roger or Novak sprint all that well or all that fast. Yet they move extraordinarily well and are exceptionally fast on a tennis court. It's tough to move better than they do, or better than Borg for that matter. All three are quite exceptional movers on a tennis court.

Wayne could be an awful mover on a tennis court, or he may have been decent. He never played tennis so we just don't know. It's a specific business.

The key thing when teaching tennis movement is this: The first thing a player must do after the split step is open the hip and fire the hip rotators. This allows him to balance his weight and thrust forwards with power. Players who don't do this naturally can significantly improve both their movement and balance by learning the concept. It's the lynchpin. Even players who do this naturally can often improve on it in given scenarios.

Tennis movement has been widely studied and researched extensively. Federer, Djokovic and Borg are awesome movers...off the charts. And each has an innate quality to his movement also...his own stamp. Borg gets off to a dreadful start in your clip. On a tennis court, however, he was perhaps the fastest accelerator the game has had...flat out in half a yard.

Tennis movement is all about footwork patterns and various types of steps...and of course the given player's natural athletic ability.

This is just my opinion. Take it or leave it. I don't want a punch up with you. I am just stating my opinion and leaving it at that.
                  I watched that video in the wee hours of the morning here in northern Europe. That is just a tremendous example of tennis movement…particularly so because both of these studs were using the standard sized racquet. Man…they were really turbo charging everything. Every modern day tennis aficionado should watch this action. Those cross court rallies, passing shots, volleys and service motions looked every bit impressive as the likes of Federer and Djokovic put on at the U. S. Open a couple of weeks ago in the finals.

Both players exhibit tremendous movement…particularly Björn Borg. Ivan Lendl was perhaps still in a developmental mode and hadn't reached his peak form at that point in 1981. This must have been one of Borg's last tournaments. He looked to be in tremendous from too. It further makes me wonder why he really left the game and the circumstances.

The players were really quick and strong. Deceptively strong. Pound for pound these were two of the best athletes on the planet at the time…with respect to their sport. You have to understand how much energy it takes to get to the ball and get in a balanced position to make such seemingly effortless swings that produce such a wallop on the ball. The ball sounds like it is being struck with a baseball bat…and the players are moving at break neck speed to get to the ball. Amazing athleticism.

Keep in mind that the difference in the racquet size is monstrous. The sweet spot is so much smaller than the modern equipment. Just imagine how much more difficult it was to find that sweet spot consistently in the course of those long rallies. Great find…your point isn't lost on me.

There aren't going to be any revolutions in tennis…trust me. At least any that are human produced. There may cyclical changes as there has been throughout tennis history…but that is a different thing altogether. If anything we will see a return to the normal…more one-handed backhands and more all court play. The Swiss leading the charge in this regard.
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

What world class players have you developed? Videos please.
                    This is what my training methodology does in developing eight year old girls.

I am developing three players, and they are all world class, and I might add great student as well and fluent in many languages. All-around kids.

This is my oldest daughter.

Ten months ago:

This is four months ago:

She is using soft balls in the video BTW (greens) as she is young.

This cute little girl is nine years old now, 5'6", and at least 40 - 60 percent better now (serious).

Here service motion is at the level of a good 14 year old boy, and its her best asset.

The groundstrokes are coming along nicely, and when I get her movement to where it needs to be she will be able to do a lot of things on the tennis court more efficiently without all the effort she is putting into things right now.

That is sports coaching -- create an effortless player (who doesn't have to work), and is efficient as they can be with what mother nature has provided them.

I got two girls, and the younger one is the better tennis player of the two, and the older one is better in the Octagon.

I really believe the game of tennis is due for a major revolution, so hopefully we are moving at the right curve and trajectory to meet things head on.

Time will tell.
                    Last edited by hockeyscout; 09-23-2015, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                      There aren't going to be any revolutions in tennis…trust me.
                      I don't trust you.

Sorry.

Better prepare for nuclear Armageddon, and pretend the Chinese have taken up the game and dropped their gymnastics program, Geoff Williams will invent some new stringing technique that will take the game to an insane new height and try to prepare appropriately. If it doesn't happen great, if it does, well, your prepared. Their is a film of a Canadian kid somewhere on this site who is 16, and hits the cleanest backhand I have ever seen hit out of the blue, and that is what the game will be like in 10 - 15 years, and each and every ball will be hit clean, to the line and for a winner on every shot (maybe it won't, but you can always dream of having such perfect consistency over and over without even having to think about doing it, or overextending yourself).
                      Last edited by hockeyscout; 09-23-2015, 02:02 AM.

Comment

This is what my training methodology does in developing eight year old girls.

I am developing three players, and they are all world class, and I might add great student as well and fluent in many languages. All-around kids.

This is my oldest daughter.

Ten months ago:

This is four months ago:

She is using soft balls in the video BTW (greens) as she is young.

This cute little girl is nine years old now, 5'6", and at least 40 - 60 percent better now (serious).

Here service motion is at the level of a good 14 year old boy, and its her best asset.

The groundstrokes are coming along nicely, and when I get her movement to where it needs to be she will be able to do a lot of things on the tennis court more efficiently without all the effort she is putting into things right now.

That is sports coaching -- create an effortless player (who doesn't have to work), and is efficient as they can be with what mother nature has provided them.

I got two girls, and the younger one is the better tennis player of the two, and the older one is better in the Octagon.

I really believe the game of tennis is due for a major revolution, so hopefully we are moving at the right curve and trajectory to meet things head on.

Time will tell.
                        Fine and good but the proof is in tournament results. Have your girls won important junior tournaments?

Comment

Fine and good but the proof is in tournament results. Have your girls won important junior tournaments?
                          From what I understand you need to be born in 2001 to play ITF Junior's. So, that is a good five years away.
                          Last edited by hockeyscout; 09-23-2015, 03:36 AM.

Comment

We have national juniors 12 and younger. These are ranked nationally.

Comment

I have heard that Usain Bolt is very good on ice skates.

Comment

You need to take care of her nodding head. Six month's later and it's still there. Very important to keep the head still during and through impact. Like Serena:

It's a basic...post her up in a month's time keeping that head still.
                                Last edited by stotty; 09-23-2015, 06:12 AM.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2699 users online. 1 members and 2698 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X