Directional control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directional control

I have found especially recently that I have somewhat of a lack of directional control. Usually, this is more exposed when I am playing grinders and people who don't hit the ball very hard (otherwise usually they hit too hard to be consistent or I am basically able to hit through them).

How can I work on this?
    I do a good bit of cc dtl work, but when I do these I think I just align my body at the angle at which I am hitting so it becomes pretty much the same as hitting straight ahead. So I don't think those kinds of drills will work. What other options do I have?
    Last edited by eaglesburg; 09-17-2015, 06:54 PM.

A good question and something that is not I think in the realm so much of mechanical control. It's only a few degrees difference in the path of the racket
    head.
    The best way to develop shot directionals is through imagery. Imagine the shot line--the actual path of the shot. Hold that visual image. Now imagine the racket head following the image.

Comment

What do you think of Wardaw's directionals concept John?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXVqCAwbG3Y

Tells you when you should change directions for better control...

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        A good question and something that is not I think in the realm so much of mechanical control. It's only a few degrees difference in the path of the racket
        head.
        The best way to develop shot directionals is through imagery. Imagine the shot line--the actual path of the shot. Hold that visual image. Now imagine the racket head following the image.
        Thanks John! It's worked pretty well the last two days!

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post

It worked well for Agassi.

You beat me to it Phil! I was going to suggest Wardlaw directionals for some basic principles.

Paul Wardlaw was the coach at Iowa for a number of years. Was OCD in the way he ran his practices, even stat tracking and match charting in team practices. He left Iowa to coach at Brown (Ivy League).

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Last edited by klacr; 09-20-2015, 12:41 AM.

Comment

The Path of the Ball and the Paul Wardlaw System...

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            head.
            This was my original thought on the question. I teach my students the path of the ball is made up of 365 consecutive balls in a row from beginning to end (visualize that) for any given shot and the student must pass the racquet face through the path of the ball in the fundamentally correct (FC) manner to produce a given shot…direction, speed and spin. Trajectory.

Originally posted by klacr View Post
            You beat to to it Phil! I was going to suggest Wardlaw directionals for some basic principles.

Paul Wardlaw was the coach at Iowa for a number of years. Was OCD in the way he ran his practices, even stat tracking and match charting in team practices. He left Iowa to coach at Brown (Ivy League).

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            This video is a great find. I must probably watch it several times to get the concepts of the system down pat but it should be worth the time. gzhpcu…this is what I have always felt you do best. Thank you for this excellent contribution. The fact that klacr seconds the find is great verification.

There you go eaglesburg…get to work!
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              This was my original thought on the question. I teach my students the path of the ball is made up of 365 consecutive balls in a row from beginning to end (visualize that) for any given shot and the student must pass the racquet face through the path of the ball in the fundamentally correct (FC) manner to produce a given shot…direction, speed and spin. Trajectory.

This video is a great find. I must probably watch it several times to get the concepts of the system down pat but it should be worth the time. gzhpcu…this is what I have always felt you do best. Thank you for this excellent contribution. The fact that klacr seconds the find is great verification.

There you go eaglesburg…get to work!
              As a Brown University graduate, I should like to suggest that you not watch this video from our women's coach more than once or twice, that you keep your understanding of the Wardlaw directives superficial unless you want to go to sleep.

Note: Paul hasn't invited me to speak, and the Brown Alumni Magazine, where I used to publish quite regularly, is equally uninterested in my senior-side tennis exploits despite some encouragement to me to continue with recruitment from the Director of Admissions. Perhaps, as my partner Hope has suggested, this is because, although I have grown up, I haven't contributed any loot.
              Last edited by bottle; 09-20-2015, 06:26 AM.

Comment

I learned this concept in the past, but I never really implemented it. I'll try it out now though.

Comment

I have another question but I don't want to start another thread so I'll just ask here.
                  What tips do you have for the mental side of the game (not tactical)? For example choking. What are the best books I can read for this? There are so many options...

Comment

Percentages and Control…Fundamental necessities for a 10splayer

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                    As a Brown University graduate, I should like to suggest that you not watch this video from our women's coach more than once or twice, that you keep your understanding of the Wardlaw directives superficial unless you want to go to sleep.

Note: Paul hasn't invited me to speak, and the Brown Alumni Magazine, where I used to publish quite regularly, is equally uninterested in my senior-side tennis exploits despite some encouragement to me to continue with recruitment from the Director of Admissions. Perhaps, as my partner Hope has suggested, this is because, although I have grown up, I haven't contributed any loot.
                    I don't understand…why not? I watched it once and the fundamental truth that this video speaks to is playing percentage tennis. It's a guideline…not a commandment.

Yeah…it is all about control too. Trust me. Control is power.

I got a chance to practice with my practice partner today and the video was somewhat fresh in my mind and found myself placing my shots at times according to this system. One of the really good things about this system besides the fact that it emphasizes percentage tennis…which is something that I absolutely endorse…is the fact that it can help you to make up your mind early or earlier as to where you are going to place your shot.

It is a fascinating concept and one worthwhile exploring…in depth. Great food for thought.
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

It's great stuff but the voice in the video drones, and drones aren't any good.

Comment

Phil,
                        I like Paul's stuff. Not sure I agree with all of it. But hitting crosscourt can rarely be bad whether off a crosscourt ball or down the line, call it inside coming in or outside coming in.

The one point I disagree on in probably about the approaches. I still like the way Allen Fox deals with that best.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7639 users online. 6 members and 7633 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X